The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

generalebriety
Sounds good to me. :wink:

My point is that GCSEs are largely irrelevant when you have A-levels and a degree. Honestly. No one cares if you get 8a* 2a or 10a*, not even for university entry. It might make more of a difference if you get 4a* 6a, but your grades are fine. :s-smilie: You're gonna go on to do A-levels and do well in them (again, AAAA or AAAB, makes very little difference) then go onto university and that's where you'll really be tested. GCSEs aren't meant to strip off the cream of the crop from the rest, that's what degrees are for. GCSEs and A-levels are just a preliminary measure to make sure the right people are going to the right places and to reward those who aren't going on to do degrees with qualifications showing what they are capable of.

Ye...I kinda thought that as well, but as i say, all ive done so far is the 'warm up' GCSE's, (lol) so thats why im scrabling around....thats not even a word, i know, but wtever, I said it!!
prash_s90
wow this is quite a passionate topic for you lot...!!!

was bout 2 say the same thing brav....
Reply 142
holla_at_ya
was bout 2 say the same thing brav....

With that sentence how can you deny being a chav?

Oh and I have nothing against chavs, I have mates who talk and type just like you. Just none of them had a hope when it came to getting results like yours.

And I agree with whoever posted that GCSEs are basically just a stepping stone to A-levels and then a degree. So they cease to be really important pretty quickly.

And just out of interest what are you taking for AS holla_at_ya?
Bio, Chem, Maths (stats) and Economics......what are you plannin do to in the future (ie course at uni?)....Im still unsure about medecine, but keepin my options open....but something financial would be better...I think...well I dont know...u?
Reply 144
At the moment top options law. But as you can see I'm keeping the science option fairly open, just in case. I was considering medecine, then changed my mind. Mainly I think because I prefer humanities and essay writing to the sciences. And the amount of time it takes. I also got slightly put off after my work experience by the descriptions from some of the younger doctors/ med students who were there!

I guessed you'd be going for something competitive by the high targets you've set yourself as a minimum. Hope it goes to plan!

Lol and we can have another couple of arguments about how important results are next year and the year after!:rolleyes:
^

Sure, im lookin forward to it....

and, Man, i sooooo know what u mean, all the junior doctors / med students were lyk, "Dont do it, just don't!"....lol...really put me off....

And thanks, hope you do well too, and with grades like yours, im sure you will....
abc101
A 'public' school is actually a private school. Non-fee-paying schools are called state schools, rather than public schools.

I got 10 A*s and I went to a private school, however considering the problems we had at our school it's a miracle I got those grades. It really annoys me people trying to disparage the achievements of private school kids simply because of what kind of school they went to - so you go to a state school and get all Cs, but if you'd gone to private you would have got all A*s? I think not. I have friends who didn't get great grades at all - the grades you get are dependent upon you, not the kind of school you go to. Some state school kids have really got a chip on their shoulder about private schools. You can get top grades regardless of where you go - it depends, for the most part, on your own intelligence and the effort you put in.

Why on earth pay out for a private education then?
scaryhair
Why on earth pay out for a private education then?

Yeah you're right. Usually people who believe that go to state schools.
i think that private schools do make it easier for students to get good grades mainly cos of the enviroment and expectations :frown:
i pissed about and did no work and now i wish i did
mainly cos i grew complacent for example only 8 people in our year got c's or above in our mocks for science so when i got a c i thought it was good :frown: only realised it was a pretty ****ty grade when i got home nd my mum wasnt so impressed :s-smilie:
also some teacchers think that if u go to an under achieving school as my r.e teacher put it " not like their gonna pass anyway" ( i heard her say to an assistant ) so we just watched videos instead. i had oe piece of work in my re book. one ****ing piece.They weren't even good videos. GRRRRRRR
however i think using state school as an excuse is crappy i know i should have worked harder, i had the resources but because the teaching was so crappy and expectations crappy u expect to do crappy so spiral goes on.there were some teachers doits just that i think there is less consistency and control of teaching at state schools
i go to a normal, state school... i dont and have never paid for education and i never will (until Uni :P)

the state school i go to getting a C or lower is considered rubbish... we all discuss how many A*'s we're gonna get, even the dumbest people will be getting 2 to 3 A*

Don't be so pathetic and say private school pupils are the only ones that get A* ... maybe if you work harder and study a lot you can beat them
yeah but ur state school had high expectations
teachers would have thought a c was rubbish there for wouldnt have allowed smart students to get a c
i wouldnt consider myself a clever student at all but in my state scool u were put in the tops sets if u got a c or higher so some teachers raelly happy with my c' and b's altho i was doing no work at school or at home. i wasnt pushed. i went to a state schol before that with 80% 4 5-c and altho i think it was a **** school (school go to now much better cos more friendly atmosphere)i must admit altho some teachers crap thru most of the term when it got to exam time really started to pushh us unlike teachers now
i did work my arse off the last 3 weeks before exams but hopefully its enough to get me those a's.i just feel my hardwork is undermined by some people who have got a lot more resources and better teaching but thats probably just jealousy :P
either way it balances out i suppose and probably people who have worked hard to get good grades in private schools feel that their good grades are being undermined by us complaining that our teachers and schools are **** :P
ahh welll
i go to a grammar school and i'm not going to get / not predicted any a*s :smile:
Reply 152
I think it's just such a matter of pot luck which school you get as to how easy getting good grades is. The only way to guarantee the grades you want is solid, decent hard work from day one. Don't know what you need for an A? Look it up on the Internet. Look at syllabuses. Teach yourself modules. That kind of thing. Some people just have it a little easier, but otherwise you just have to work at it, I think.
i suppose so.
but sometimes if ur doing well compared to other people u get too complacent:frown:
woo its summer :smile:
btw is it possible to delete some of ur posts
Reply 154
GCSEs are useless anyway. University's, nor employers are interested in them. The only time they're useful is when you're applying for your A level courses.
holla_at_ya

Anyway, by all means, have some fun, but anyone who does a subject at such a crucial stage in your career for fun is either really confident, really stupid, or just a nerd....:biggrin:

depends, i find computing/physics fun and theyre exactly what i need to get into my degree of choice

(also computing looks well easy lol)
holla_at_ya
Bio, Chem, Maths (stats) and Economics......what are you plannin do to in the future (ie course at uni?)....Im still unsure about medecine, but keepin my options open....but something financial would be better...I think...well I dont know...u?

lol i heard about that guy from barcap that came into your school
Reply 157
Do people still put GCSEs on their CV when they are, say, applying for their first job? Or is that just deemed immature/stupid?
i think anyone can achieve good results regardless of whether you go to a state/private/grammar school, as long as you're happy where you are and have the motivation to do well.
i go to a local comprehensive school (newent community school) and i got offered a place at one of the best grammar schools in my area (denmark road high school for girls) but i decided not to go there as i'm happy where i am.
Personally, I don't think it matters what school you go to and whilst grades perhaps have some kind of correlation with the type of school, it's obviously still down to the individual.

People that want to succeed and work hard will do so wherever they are. You get grammar school kids that don't appreciate the chances they get and still muck up their studies while there are comprehensive students that work their butt off and end up with amazing results. With GCSEs getting erm 'easier' and the millions of past papers and entire textbooks for sale at bookstores and online, it's really up to the individual. Yes, with different schools comes different opportunities but really, if you didn't take the initiative in the first place to realise how important grades are and WORK, then maybe you wouldn't suit ANYWHERE.

I go to a top grammar school where the pass rate at GCSE and A level at 100% and there are still some PRETTY BAD teachers around. And as for support, you don't really get any...apart from the odd few cumpolsory classes for borderline students near study leave time, teachers rarely take such a personal interest in your work. For those subjects, I just had to self- teach myself.

Latest