The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni with A* A B Predicted

For my predicted I have A* A B ( in History, Econ and Maths), and for one of my choices I was looking at econ and politics at LSE, where the requirement is AAA or Kings College for Political Economy where the requirement is A* A A. what would I be more likely to get into?
Original post by JBor
For my predicted I have A* A B ( in History, Econ and Maths), and for one of my choices I was looking at econ and politics at LSE, where the requirement is AAA or Kings College for Political Economy where the requirement is A* A A. what would I be more likely to get into?

I think both are risky choices. Anything economics related at LSE is bound to be super competitive. Kings is a bit less competitive in general, but with predicted grades that don't meet the standard offer, you'd need a strong all round application to get an offer.

What are your GCSEs like?

It's fine to have two risky choices though, as long as you include 3 safer ones on your application.
With a B in maths you have essentially zero chance at any economics course at LSE, including joint honours courses. Their economics courses are very mathematical, and for their single honours economics course 95% of successful applicants have A-level Maths and Further Maths, and they require an A* in one of them - joint honours "economics and..." students take the same modules as those students, so while they do not routinely require A-level FM for those they will expect at least an A in A-level Maths if not an A* to cope with that material.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think both are risky choices. Anything economics related at LSE is bound to be super competitive. Kings is a bit less competitive in general, but with predicted grades that don't meet the standard offer, you'd need a strong all round application to get an offer.

What are your GCSEs like?

It's fine to have two risky choices though, as long as you include 3 safer ones on your application.

i got 3 9's 4 8's 2 7's and one 6. maths was an 8 btw
Original post by JBor
i got 3 9's 4 8's 2 7's and one 6. maths was an 8 btw

Your GCSEs are pretty strong then, which should help you.

LSE used to make it very clear what they look for in a PS, so do look for that too.

Ultimately, both are the sort of courses who will reject people who meet their minimum academic requirements, so both are a risk. That doesn't mean you shouldn't apply though.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Your GCSEs are pretty strong then, which should help you.

LSE used to make it very clear what they look for in a PS, so do look for that too.

Ultimately, both are the sort of courses who will reject people who meet their minimum academic requirements, so both are a risk. That doesn't mean you shouldn't apply though.

thanks so much for your help
Reply 7
Original post by JBor

Did you apply to King's and did you get in? Any updates?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending