The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into Oxford off this info?

3A*s in econ, maths, biology (all predicted), seven 9s four 8s at gcse (all from a state school)
An epq, a good personal statement, lots of wider reading and a month’s work experience in a business/economics setting.
Oxford let me in please x

(Obviously this doesn’t include tsa and interview)
Reply 1
Which course?
Those are good predictors for getting to the interview stage but after that it’s pretty much exclusively how you perform in the interview that will decide whether or not you’re given an offer.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Which course?

Forgot to mention
economics and management 😕
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Forgot to mention
economics and management 😕

Ah, thats about the toughest course to get onto.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, thats about the toughest course to get onto.

Yup
reckon I got a chance?
Yup
reckon I got a chance?

Probably as good a chance as anyone else really. I expect the TSA would be the major factor determining if you get an interview or not, and then the interview being the major factor in whether you get an offer or not?
I'm always so confused by these posts where people list near-perfect grades and all the added extras they've done, and yet still question whether they've got a chance. It's a bit pointless anyway as nobody can tell you with any certainty; the process is notoriously unpredictable.

What do you think is the thing that limits your chances here? Those 4 8s? Heaven forbid you didn't get straight 9s... tbh Oxford would only be 1/5th full if they only made offers to people with straight 9s.

I think you know you've got good grades and can demonstrate solid interest in the subject. Just apply.
Reply 8
I'm always so confused by these posts where people list near-perfect grades and all the added extras they've done, and yet still question whether they've got a chance. It's a bit pointless anyway as nobody can tell you with any certainty; the process is notoriously unpredictable.

What do you think is the thing that limits your chances here? Those 4 8s? Heaven forbid you didn't get straight 9s... tbh Oxford would only be 1/5th full if they only made offers to people with straight 9s.

I think you know you've got good grades and can demonstrate solid interest in the subject. Just apply.

I don't think thats entirely fair. Had the OP questioned whether they had enough of a chance to justify using up one of five choices to apply to Cambridge economics, LSE economics or Imperial data science/ finance I think they would have had different answers.

Plus - I suspect rather a lot of people yet 6 plus grade 9's in GCSE especially during the covid years.
Reply 9
Yup
reckon I got a chance?

Yes - you should be in the game.
Reply 10

just trying to get a gist of whether thats considered a good application
given that ive never met anyone who has even applied to that course, let alone got in
also loads of people got 9s at gcse last year. covid inflated grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending