The Student Room Group

Are these Y10 Mock Results good enough for straight 9's by GCSEs?

Biology = 6 (could of easily gotten a 7)
Chemistry = 7(1 mark away from 8)
Physics = 8 (2 marks from 9)
Maths = 7+(1 away from 8-)
English Lang = 6+ (the teachers were so biased and harsh for lang and lit)
English Lit = 7(should have gotten a 8)
Geography = 9
RE = 9
French=9
Comp Sci = 6( 1 mark from 7) teacher was very strict with paper 1 (i do OCR)
As you can see I got robbed, i could have easily gotten a few more 7s and 8s
Reply 1
You have great mock results but in reality to get straight 9's under real exam pressure most people would get almost all 9's in year 10 mocks with maybe a couple 8's. Your mock results are definitely setting you up for almost all GCSEs at 8s or 9s.

Speaking from personal experience I just did my GCSEs in 2023 and in both my end of Year 10 and November Year 11 mocks I got straight 9s (including a few full mark papers in the sciences, computer science and maths) and I'm not sure I'll get straight 9s when i get my results next week.
Reply 2
Original post by epii+1=0
You have great mock results but in reality to get straight 9's under real exam pressure most people would get almost all 9's in year 10 mocks with maybe a couple 8's. Your mock results are definitely setting you up for almost all GCSEs at 8s or 9s.

Speaking from personal experience I just did my GCSEs in 2023 and in both my end of Year 10 and November Year 11 mocks I got straight 9s (including a few full mark papers in the sciences, computer science and maths) and I'm not sure I'll get straight 9s when i get my results next week.

Tysm for your feedback and Good Luck!
Reply 3
you did amazing, well done! you still have so much time to improve, my grades went up a lot between Y10 and GCSEs.
just use the next few months to work on what you've struggled with most so far in the course, your mocks are a really good indicator of what you understand. i would go through your papers, making note of all the topics you've not done as well in, and i would prioritise those.
also, as frustrating as it is, it's quite good to have teachers who are harsh with marking, as that way your grades are more likely to be higher when they're being marked by actual examiners - because you learn to perfect your answers and automatically work harder than most to get the top marks. this is a technique that's really helped me in my A-levels and i'm hoping that it pays off on thursday!
it is pretty hard to get straight 9s at GCSE, but i do think that you can continue to do really well and this can certainly become a possibility, just keep studying, make sure not to burn yourself out though.
Reply 4
Original post by icba1
Tysm for your feedback and Good Luck!

Yay! I got all 9's (in 10 GCSE's) with full marks in futher maths and 99% in maths :smile:
Reply 5
It's definitely possible with your results but obviously it will take lots of work and also definitely comes down to luck on the day. I got all 8s and 9s in y10 mocks then straight 9s in y11 mocks and the real thing. Alternatively, I know people who came out of y10/nov y11 with 5s and 6s and then got up to 9s in the same subject so it's achievable! Good luck :smile:
In Year 10, I can't remember my exact grades, but I think I got a 6 or 7 for Biology, and overall I got Bs I believe. I ended up getting 8 9s, so please don't give up! At the same time, make sure you don't become complacent, as my English teacher said almost every lesson for the whole two years of GCSE xD You have to put in the work to get good marks. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by icba1
Biology = 6 (could of easily gotten a 7)
Chemistry = 7(1 mark away from 8)
Physics = 8 (2 marks from 9)
Maths = 7+(1 away from 8-)
English Lang = 6+ (the teachers were so biased and harsh for lang and lit)
English Lit = 7(should have gotten a 8)
Geography = 9
RE = 9
French=9
Comp Sci = 6( 1 mark from 7) teacher was very strict with paper 1 (i do OCR)
As you can see I got robbed, i could have easily gotten a few more 7s and 8s

I got 9s in my mocks and ended up with 6s and 7s 🥲
Original post by epii+1=0

Hi, my gcses are in less than a month and currently im struggling with science. In my march mocks i got 80% in chem and 86% in bio and phys, and in december i got 92% in bio, 78% in phys and 77% in chem, so i wouldve gotten a grade 8 in chem if i did it last year. Do you have any advice on studying chemistry? If, so it would be greatly appreciated. Also, do you have any advice on further maths since im going to retake it this year

Quick Reply

Latest