The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Aimée123
Could someone give me advice on these unis for geog? Maybe rank them? Give me some +s and -s?
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Exeter
Sheffield

Thanks... Aimée x

Bristol - very good reputation with employers, but a very highly structured and rigid course If you like it, then that's OK, but 2 of my students who were given offers (AAB) decided to turn them down after finding out more about the course on an Open Day!
Leeds - quite competitive, has the highest number of applicants to places (I think!) as a university. Geog degree is OK, one of my students is there and loves the course, but hated the hall she was in - it was all a bit too big for her. Again AAB or ABB if you're lucky
Manchester - as long as you like a huge uni and huge cities, you'll be OK. the course is good - one of my students decided to put Manchester as her Firm rather than Durham, because the course was more suited to her.
Exeter is lovely in terms of location, as long as you like hills! ACC was the offer one of my students was given and I have had a number go there in recent years. All of them have loved the place and the Geog course (although you have to be careful of some of the catered halls apparently!)
Sheffield ABB - very good for Geog, excellent public transport (Supertrams) but I don't know much more than that about the city. A number of people reckon its OK. Its close to the Peak District is you like to get out into the country once in a while.
Sheffield - :smile: Top ratings for teaching & research in Geography, flexible course so you can do whatever you want, party city, top SU :frown: Hills. Everywhere. Slipping in overall tables (was 10th in Sunday Times 2002, now outside top 20)
Bristol - :smile: Prestigious, good rating :frown: Rah rah "What school did you go to old boy?" rah
Manchester - :smile: Legendary party city, about to become huge and shoot up rankings with Victoria/UMIST merger :frown: Nothing special for Geography
Leeds - :smile: Party city :frown: Slumped down the ratings recently
Exeter - :smile: Retains good reputation for Geog :frown: Scraping top 30 these days overall
I'm no uni expert but i'll give my opinion anyway:

Bristol
+ top reputation
- very structured geography course (someone on here a while back who was studying there said he hated it and couldn't wait to leave!), halls are a long way from main uni buildings i believe

When i visited i didn't like Bristol as a place, it was just kind of dull and blahhh lol. And a chemistry tutor women was mean to me :redface: - i was only looking at the chem stuff out of interest and she told me, in different words, to go away because i don't do chemistry! Also, i hear people go "Oh, the Wills building, it's so like 'wow'" but it isn't, although when you go in you could be mistaken for thinking it's Hogwarts :biggrin:

Leeds
+ good reputation
- one of the most popular unis in terms of applications = competitive

I don't know much about Leeds because i'm not applying there so i haven't really looked into it, but if you like cities then it's supposed to be an alright place!

Manchester
+ good general reputation
- biiiiiggggg place

Personally, i would not go there because of the sheer size of the place. But apart from that i see no bad points.

Exeter
+ Apparently a gorgeous place with the coast and countryside nearby, modern buildings, a good reputation and interesting course
- hilly!

If i get an offer from Exeter i reckon i will make it my insurance (if i get offers from Durham, Notts or Southampton they will come first probably). It sounds like such a damn good place.

Sheffield
+ good reputation, ok city (apparently it's big but doesn't feel big!)

I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield because i have one space left. -xsarahx- who is also applying for geog this Sept visited there and said it's really good and she really wants to go there and the geog building is right by a park or something :smile:
Reply 4
To hijack the thread slightly, have you decided on your final 6 choices yet Sian?
Reply 5
Aimée123
Could someone give me advice on these unis for geog? Maybe rank them? Give me some +s and -s?
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Exeter
Sheffield

Thanks... Aimée x

i am not going to really attempt to comment on those that i know v little, it would be unfair.
i think it largely depends on what you want from your degree. bristol i believe is quite physical orientated (do they even do a BA?) i know someone who is desperate for her exams to go well so she can go do geog there(no insurance - eek!)
Leeds is a very large party city that might make some people a bit intimidated (good shopping though!). geog dept itself was decent enough i remember, it was the course changes that made my mind up mainly. accommodation for my preferences was not that good. i think theres only one catered hall v near the uni, with some being several miles away, not in walking distance.
manch never really considered, it not being one of the best for geog & location wise not good for me meant never in my thoughts.
exeter i considered for a while when i was thinking of doing combined degree with econ& also hadnt completely decided against doing any physical in degree. it is apparently v nice.
sheffield i clearly approve of as hopefully (i'll find out next week!!!) i am going there. feel a bit biased so wont say much more but giving my general approval!

Latest

Trending

Trending