The Student Room Group

GCSE subject choices help

I am in year 9 and I’m choosing my GCSEs soon. At my school normally people choose 9 and very little people do 10. In the future, I aspire to do something with law, international relations (diplomacy) or PR and marketing in the fashion industry. The subjects I am currently choosing are:
English literature
English language
Mathematics
French
Religious studies (which is compulsory)
History
But I do not know if I should do combined science with geography as my 9th option or just triple science which would take me up to 9.
I am not really that into science but I am quite good at it and I want to be in a class with people who are a similar level and ready to commit and if do combined i worry that I will be in a distracting class because the majority do combined. But will triple science be worth it if I do not want to study any a levels in science?
I am kind of leaning towards combined science but I am just so confused as my school isn’t really helping much.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sbeke10
I am in year 9 and I’m choosing my GCSEs soon. At my school normally people choose 9 and very little people do 10. In the future, I aspire to do something with law, international relations (diplomacy) or PR and marketing in the fashion industry. The subjects I am currently choosing are:
English literature
English language
Mathematics
French
History
But I do not know if I should do combined science with geography as my 9th option or just triple science which would take me up to 9.
I am not really that into science but I am quite good at it and I want to be in a class with people who are a similar level and ready to commit and if do combined i worry that I will be in a distracting class because the majority do combined. But will triple science be worth it if I do not want to study any a levels in science?
I am kind of leaning towards combined science but I am just so confused as my school isn’t really helping much.

hi,
I think that with a job in PR, geography would certainly be a good option to take as it gives you a broader understanding of the world and economies as well as the natural aspect. I do geography, and it has definitely broadened my view on such things.
with combined or triple, I do triple science, and the only real difference is that there is less content in combined, and you will get 2 grades in the end rather than 3. however, you'll definitely be able to get 9s, it certainly does not suggest that you are not as smart.
if you can do both triple and geography, then that would be the best option, but I would lean towards geography if you have to choose. in the end, choose what you enjoy most!
Reply 2
Original post by sbeke10
English literature
English language
Mathematics
French
History

Hey there! So, here's something you might want to know. There's this TSR thread called 'Year 9 2023-24', where Year 9 students like us help each other out. It's a great way to support each other and I think it'll be awesome if you join us too! Trust me, it could be really helpful and fun.
Reply 3
Original post by emaanqur
hi,
I think that with a job in PR, geography would certainly be a good option to take as it gives you a broader understanding of the world and economies as well as the natural aspect. I do geography, and it has definitely broadened my view on such things.
with combined or triple, I do triple science, and the only real difference is that there is less content in combined, and you will get 2 grades in the end rather than 3. however, you'll definitely be able to get 9s, it certainly does not suggest that you are not as smart.
if you can do both triple and geography, then that would be the best option, but I would lean towards geography if you have to choose. in the end, choose what you enjoy most!

Thank you so much for your advice! At my school I either can do triple science with one optional humanity or combined science with two humanities. So I’m leaning more towards geography now

Quick Reply

Latest