The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Barry and Hargreaves in the centre

I think we can junk Lampard now

Beckham > Bentley.
they were both crap. however, bentley is actually more than a placekicker.
He didn't show it tonight.
Apparantly Mark Lawrenson was moaning it was cold in the commentary box.
Reply 2943
Carlos The Villan
Apparantly Mark Lawrenson was moaning it was cold in the commentary box.

He would moan is Jennifer Ellison was stood infront of him naked paying him 10 trillion.
I'd moan if I had Jennifer Ellison stood in front of me.
Depends which way she was facing.
Reply 2946
I would make her moan to be honest :teeth:
Rafa
I would make her moan to be honest :teeth:

Rafa you are a bit of a dark horse :p:

Capello's English has got even better I think since his first English interview.
Reply 2948
Ronaldo VII
My conclusions:

Back 5 :yy:

Spine of Hargreaves->Gerrard->Rooney (off a striker) is the key to success :yy: (though I think Gerrard + Hargreaves in a central two would still be better)

Defoe looked to be trying too hard; shooting too early, I would have preferred Ashton to be tgiven a run out.

Lampard ;no;

Beckham > Bentley.

Very well put there Phil.

Carlos The Villan
Rafa you are a bit of a dark horse :p:

I've been hearing that quite a lot lately :ninja:
Reply 2949
I only watched parts due to the BGT Semi but from what I did take in:

Rooney, Hargreaves, Gerrard and Defoe are all definates for the next game. I was quite impressed with Defoe, I think he's the perfect partner in our arsenal to go upfront with Rooney. Also note I thought Gerrard worked awesome on the left, I was quite shocked. I'd prefer him in the centre but either or really, as long as Hargreaves is locking down the midfield.

I reckon Becks gives us a touch of class that most of our players can't. But, he is getting old and I don't want to see him in the 2012 in all honesty. I reckon Lennon/SWP deserve a shot next time ;yes;

Forgot to mention as well that I think Lampard is weird in England games. He's clearly on the pitch but he sees very little of the ball, I don't know what it is with him but I just don't see what he's doing for us(quite like Barry when he's on). I agree with Ronaldo about the back four though, pretty solid. But Micah at right back when he's fully fit.
I wasn't convinced with Defoe :s:

If it is right that the CL final players aren't going to T+T, we should get a look at a lot of fringe players which will be interesting.
Reply 2951
Ronaldo VII
I wasn't convinced with Defoe :s:

I've always liked Defoe, he's been underrated for quite a while, especially at Spurs. He's good on his feet and does have a very nice touch( and some slick skill). I was rather impressed by some of his runs but his lack of a goal does concern; but then again you can't expect him to score in every game.

If you want Rooney in the hole I think Defoe's the man, or we should give Walcott a shot.
Reply 2952
Defoe has lost the form he had a while ago and Capello has missed the boat on that one. I think if Defoe had played for England during his period of rich form he would of bagged at least one goal.

Ashton should of at least made an appearance if not been a starter.

Was not impressed with Bentley today for once. Beckham looked good and its a pity his legs are decaying. I reckon Beckham will be useful for around about one half of every match we play for a while yet.

Also noticable today was a distinct lack of pace from us all over the pitch; I think our quickest player was actually A.Cole. Perhaps Walcott should be given a chance on the right wing to inject some pace into our build up play.
made_of_fail

they were both crap. however, bentley is actually more than a placekicker.

What? I might just Lol at that comment...

Defoe should have scored tonight, shame he didn't, but hey, it was is first call up for 2 years, and he just needs to find his feet (and the damn goal). Hopefully will be picked by Capello for the next game, as to be honest, he didn't do too badly at all. - He has the pace. Would have loved to see him score, but nevermind...

Beckham to start over Bentley. Becks played some brilliant football tonight, and it was nice to see him get back to playing some brill footie.

David James didn't have to do much, but still, made a few good decisions.

Good game, and a part of me didn't want it to end... :ninja:
Pretty good tonight I think. Don't think Defoe has had enough opportunity to shine just yet, but some of the link up play was really quite fluid which was nice. We also seemed to be taking it seriously looking at the reactions of some of the players so they knew they weren't just playing for the hell of it.

I still don't like the Peter Crouch option at all, I think it stifles our play so hope Defoe can get a decent run going. Hargreaves looked impressive and dependable as well at Gerrard who, against better opposition may have been forced to stay out wide more and be less effective. But for now, solid.
<CJ>
Pretty good tonight I think. Don't think Defoe has had enough opportunity to shine just yet, but some of the link up play was really quite fluid which was nice. We also seemed to be taking it seriously looking at the reactions of some of the players so they knew they weren't just playing for the hell of it.

I still don't like the Peter Crouch option at all, I think it stifles our play so hope Defoe can get a decent run going. Hargreaves looked impressive and dependable as well at Gerrard who, against better opposition may have been forced to stay out wide more and be less effective. But for now, solid.

I agree there, maybe if Defoe is given a start in T&T, he might shine.. Who knows.. But he came close many times, which is never a bad thing.

I also now agree about Crouch. As much as i want him at FP, he did suck a bit tonight. He just seems like a bit of a clutz, and to be honest Capello had so many better options other then Crouch... Hope he learnt from that.

Hargreaves did quite well, got stuck in good & proper.

Impressed by the Becks -> Terry goal though.. Superb stuff.

Shame they aren't in the Euros, i think with a team like tonight, they might have done well..
Joey Barton's Cell Mate
Defoe should have scored tonight, shame he didn't, but hey, it was is first call up for 2 years

:confused:
Beckham to start over Bentley. Becks played some brilliant football tonight, and it was nice to see him get back to playing some brill footie.
all he did was take some decent free kicks. hence placekicker. minus the free kicks, clint dempsey looked better as a right sided midfielder.

defoe looked good tonight. well, at least before he took his shots. although i suppose he was up against a pretty rotten back line.
Ronaldo VII
:confused:

Surely not hard to understand...

I thought it was HIS first call up to the England squad for 2 years... Might be wrong, but if i am, i apologise for making that mistake... :p:
Joey Barton's Cell Mate
Surely not hard to understand...

I thought it was HIS first call up to the England squad for 2 years... Might be wrong, but if i am, i apologise for making that mistake... :p:

He played at least a year ago when Nugent stole his goal.

Latest