The Student Room Group

Drunk pilot arrested

Canadian pilot arrested after being 3 times over the legal limit, it is good that he got caught but how much of a concern is it a pilot may not be fit to fly a plane?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38482846

Scroll to see replies

going to be incredibly rare tbh, like asking how often are bus drivers drunk? And as shown there;s much less chance an impaired pilot could fly since the cabin crew would likely notice.

Though if he got it up okay the damn things fly and land themselves half the time haha.
Original post by joey11223
going to be incredibly rare tbh, like asking how often are bus drivers drunk? And as shown there;s much less chance an impaired pilot could fly since the cabin crew would likely notice.

Though if he got it up okay the damn things fly and land themselves half the time haha.

Yeah that is true to be fair, mostly autopilot these days.
Original post by Rock Fan
Yeah that is true to be fair, mostly autopilot these days.

Autopilot can't take off planes on its own and its fairly new for autopilot to land planes too so he's pretty skilled to be able to do that under the influence lol
Autopilot is only used when the weather is sh**t e.g. poor visibility, most of the time the First Officer and Captain will switch around for who gets to land and takeoff. Pilot training does not cost up to £100,000 for them to sit and play with autopilot!
Reply 5
Original post by Kravence
Autopilot can't take off planes on its own and its fairly new for autopilot to land planes too so he's pretty skilled to be able to do that under the influence lol

The autoland system was first used on a commercial aircraft in 1965.

It's not that new...
Original post by Tom Downey
Autopilot is only used when the weather is sh**t e.g. poor visibility, most of the time the First Officer and Captain will switch around for who gets to land and takeoff. Pilot training does not cost up to £100,000 for them to sit and play with autopilot!

I guess autopilot can also be used if the pilots arn't fully qualified for that particular type of aircraft such as when a pilot that normally flies a CRJ900 has to fly a Boeing 747 or A380 due to staff shortage, and isn't fully familiar with all the controls, dials etc so they might know basics of flying but the autopilot does the stuff they can't.

Auto pilot is also a backup if both pilots are ill or incapacitated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
The autoland system was first used on a commercial aircraft in 1965.

It's not that new...

my bad, I don't know much about planes lol
What I saw when I looked it up was that, its not used often and is being added more on newer aircrafts
Reply 8
Original post by Ambitious1999
I guess autopilot can also be used if the pilots arn't fully qualified for that particular type of aircraft such as when a pilot that normally flies a CRJ900 has to fly a Boeing 747 or A380 due to staff shortage

There's a name for that:

"Illegal"

As in, it doesn't happen. If you can't add anything sensible, don't add anything.
I guess autopilot can also be used if the pilots arn't fully qualified for that particular type of aircraft such as when a pilot that normally flies a CRJ900 has to fly a Boeing 747 or A380 due to staff shortage, and isn't fully familiar with all the controls, dials etc so they might know basics of flying but the autopilot does the stuff they can't.

Auto pilot is also a backup if both pilots are ill or incapacitated.

I really don't think a pilot of a CRJ can simply jump into an A380. You have to have all the different pilot ratings and tons of experience to fly a plane as big as a A380, it can't just be flown by autopilot!
I really don't think a pilot of a CRJ can simply jump into an A380. You have to have all the different pilot ratings and tons of experience to fly a plane as big as a A380, it can't just be flown by autopilot!

1, Ambitious is, as usual, talking nonsense.
2. It's perfectly possible to fly a plane like that on autopilot and autoland. They do it all the time. And technically, given that it's a FBW system it always lands via computer.

The basic principles are the same using the flaps, rudder etc. Once a pilot can fly a multi engined jet on his commercial pilots licence I guess he's allowed to fly any multi-engined passenger jet.

Its a bit like when you get your first PPL your can fly any make of single engined plane such as a Cessna or Piper or even a Spitfire.

Obviously there come times when a scheduled flight has to depart and a pilot or crew isn't available to fly it so the airline has to find whatever crew is available.
(edited 7 years ago)
Obviously there come times when a scheduled flight has to depart and a pilot or crew isn't available to fly it so the airline has to find whatever crew is available.

Oh just pack it in.

I'm not sure if you know this, but you can't just make **** up because you think it's what happens.
Reply 13
The basic principles are the same using the flaps, rudder etc. Once a pilot can fly a multi engined jet on his commercial pilots licence I guess he's allowed to fly any multi-engined passenger jet.

Its a bit like when you get your first PPL your can fly any make of single engined plane such as a Cessna or Piper or even a Spitfire.

You shouldn't talk about things you obviously know nothing about
The basic principles are the same using the flaps, rudder etc. Once a pilot can fly a multi engined jet on his commercial pilots licence I guess he's allowed to fly any multi-engined passenger jet

That is an insult to a pilot that has spent years gaining the experience and skills required to fly planes such as the A380 777.

So what your saying is that somebody with a car licence would be capable of driving a HGV. The principle of driving are the same e.g gears and brakes etc.
Well, that's his career (and probably life) ruined. How could he be so stupid? Great that he's been arrested. There really is not enough room in the world for drunk pilots.
The amusing yahooey thinks drunk pilots are stupid

Pilots, after obtaining their ATPL (Air Transport Pilots License) take a type rating on the aircraft which they will fly, usually funded by the airline. There are some cases where a type rating is valid for more than one aircraft (for example the A320 type rating is for the Airbus A320 family, rather than just the A320), but a pilot type rated on the A320 could not fly a Boeing 737.

Airlines have pilots and flight attendants 'on standby' either in their homes or in the airport to be called upon - usually at 30 minutes' notice or so - in the event of a crew shortage. The databases through which they call upon personnel will detail the qualifications of the individual crew member, and as such will ensure that the person called is qualified for that duty. For airlines such as easyJet and Ryanair, who operate a single aircraft type (Airbus A320 family and Boeing 737, respectively), this is a simple task, whereas for airlines such as British Airways, who operate many aircraft types, this can be more difficult.

Commercial airliners today are far more complex than the 'stick and rudder' aircraft of old. Each aircraft flies differently and has very different systems; to put an A320 pilot in a B738 would be quite frankly dangerous.
Original post by SummerStrawberry
Pilots, after obtaining their ATPL (Air Transport Pilots License) take a type rating on the aircraft which they will fly, usually funded by the airline. There are some cases where a type rating is valid for more than one aircraft (for example the A320 type rating is for the Airbus A320 family, rather than just the A320), but a pilot type rated on the A320 could not fly a Boeing 737.

Airlines have pilots and flight attendants 'on standby' either in their homes or in the airport to be called upon - usually at 30 minutes' notice or so - in the event of a crew shortage. The databases through which they call upon personnel will detail the qualifications of the individual crew member, and as such will ensure that the person called is qualified for that duty. For airlines such as easyJet and Ryanair, who operate a single aircraft type (Airbus A320 family and Boeing 737, respectively), this is a simple task, whereas for airlines such as British Airways, who operate many aircraft types, this can be more difficult.

Commercial airliners today are far more complex than the 'stick and rudder' aircraft of old. Each aircraft flies differently and has very different systems; to put an A320 pilot in a B738 would be quite frankly dangerous.

So basically because the flight deck of an A320 is similar to that of and A380 then an A320 qualified pilot can fly an A380 despite the huge difference in size and number of engines?
So basically because the flight deck of an A320 is similar to that of and A380 then an A320 qualified pilot can fly an A380 despite the huge difference in size and number of engines?

And because pure ethanol is essentially the same as vodka, you can drink it straight. Go on. Try it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending