The Student Room Group

alevels for aerospace engineering

i want to go on to study aerospace enigeeringwith pilot training at uni and i wanna do a level geography, maths and physics but idk if ill be at a disadvantage because im not doing further maths
are the alevels im choosing good anough?
(edited 1 month ago)
FM would be more relevant and useful while you are on the degree (at any uni) but only really the likes of Imperial and Oxbridge will realistically require it to be competitive I think.

Bear in mind that you'll cover the FM material in the degree so it's not like you're avoiding it by not doing the A-level. And it's easier to cover that material in school when you have more individual attention in a smaller class (as opposed to being one out of 300 students in your first year maths methods module).
Original post by artful_lounger
FM would be more relevant and useful while you are on the degree (at any uni) but only really the likes of Imperial and Oxbridge will realistically require it to be competitive I think.

Bear in mind that you'll cover the FM material in the degree so it's not like you're avoiding it by not doing the A-level. And it's easier to cover that material in school when you have more individual attention in a smaller class (as opposed to being one out of 300 students in your first year maths methods module).
oh really thank you for replying idk if i would get the grades to be able to do further maths and even then if i did it seems too hard for me but fo you think self teaching myself further maths without actually doing it as an a level would be ok?
Original post by slitheringfoxes
oh really thank you for replying idk if i would get the grades to be able to do further maths and even then if i did it seems too hard for me but fo you think self teaching myself further maths without actually doing it as an a level would be ok?

I mean as noted you'll need to cover much of the material sooner or later in the degree itself. But in any event, reviewing some of the material (matrices and complex numbers) in the summer before starting at the uni would probably be useful if you don't take it.
I mean as noted you'll need to cover much of the material sooner or later in the degree itself. But in any event, reviewing some of the material (matrices and complex numbers) in the summer before starting at the uni would probably be useful if you don't take it.
okk thank you very very much for the advice i will try and do that when i start my a levels
hi sorry i have another question on this topic, so after i finish uni doing aerospace engineering qith pilot training i wanna go on to be a commercial pilot, would geography a level still be a less relevant a level for this career? or should i rather switch to doing further maths if i can
Original post by slitheringfoxes
hi sorry i have another question on this topic, so after i finish uni doing aerospace engineering qith pilot training i wanna go on to be a commercial pilot, would geography a level still be a less relevant a level for this career? or should i rather switch to doing further maths if i can

You don't need any specific A-levels to be a pilot as far as I'm aware. You don't need a degree either. Also an aerospace engineering degree isn't going to teach you how to be a pilot. It's a completely separate career.
You don't need any specific A-levels to be a pilot as far as I'm aware. You don't need a degree either. Also an aerospace engineering degree isn't going to teach you how to be a pilot. It's a completely separate career.
ohreally thanks for informing me i orhinally chose the option of studying aerospace engineering at university as a back up option and i also kind fo enjoy it as well thats why i wanted to study aerospace engineering with pilot studies as i had thought that it would have links to piloting i also want to study at university before going into commercial piloting

Quick Reply

Latest