The Student Room Group

Career Options for Final Year Maths Undergrad

I am a final year Maths undergrad at a Russell Group university on course to achieving a first. I did an actuarial internship two summers ago and did a project involving some basic programming last summer, as well as lots of volunteering, tutoring etc.

This year has been a bit of a mess because my depression has been flaring up again. I only started applying for actuarial grad schemes recently. I have two assessment centres coming up and will be applying for two more syndicates soon and the company I worked at previously. Unfortunately I do not think I am in a place where I can perform well at the assessment centres. My depression and the rut I have been in over the last few years have slowed down my brain and my isolation from people has taken a hit to my people skills. I attempted a group exercise task with my dad and found myself struggling to think of points and flubbing the few points I did have. I know that this is something I can improve on but realistically I don't think this will be possible in the short amount of time I have.

Do you have any recommendations for alternative careers I could feasibly get into after graduating, considering these issues and any advice for how I would go about that? At this point I am feeling quite desperate and just want a stable career with decent pay.

I have been considering secondary teaching. I would definitely need to work on my communication but I think I could make a decent teacher since, unlike with actuarial, I would actually care about what I am doing and it wouldn't be too much for me intellectually. The big issue is the pay - I would like to be earning more.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry to break it to you sunshine, but for the vast majority of graduate careers you need to have some relevant work experience if you want to be in with a chance of putting forward a successful application. I'd say stick to the actuarial schemes, as you have experience in that area. Anything else and you'd likely be flagged down due to lack of experience.

Quick Reply

Latest