The Student Room Group

Modern Languages, translation or comparative literature MA

I'm going into my final year of a BA politics degree in September and am considering my options when I graduate. I already have an internship in finance I am hoping to convert into a grad role but am considering a masters instead as I'm unsure it's what I'm really passionate about.
When I was deciding for undergrad I was torn between politics and a triple modern language degree as I took A Levels in History, French, Spanish and Maths with As in languages and Bs in the others. However, I have kept up my language self study of both and picked up some Latin, Italian and Korean also though no formal exams. I also love literature and books and would love to look at literature translation as a career path (besides the finance internship I also do freelance copyediting for political campaigning and am looking for editorial publishing experience) but feel I have missed my calling with my BA choice. I am undertaking a semester abroad from September to February 2025 at Sciences Po Bordeaux where I also hope to pick up some foreign language classes in French.
If I can prove my language proficiency does anyone know of a Masters in translation for literature or linguistics that I could be eligible for or have any advice? I am currently predicted a 2.1 for context.
Original post by ClaireSellers13
I'm going into my final year of a BA politics degree in September and am considering my options when I graduate. I already have an internship in finance I am hoping to convert into a grad role but am considering a masters instead as I'm unsure it's what I'm really passionate about.
When I was deciding for undergrad I was torn between politics and a triple modern language degree as I took A Levels in History, French, Spanish and Maths with As in languages and Bs in the others. However, I have kept up my language self study of both and picked up some Latin, Italian and Korean also though no formal exams. I also love literature and books and would love to look at literature translation as a career path (besides the finance internship I also do freelance copyediting for political campaigning and am looking for editorial publishing experience) but feel I have missed my calling with my BA choice. I am undertaking a semester abroad from September to February 2025 at Sciences Po Bordeaux where I also hope to pick up some foreign language classes in French.
If I can prove my language proficiency does anyone know of a Masters in translation for literature or linguistics that I could be eligible for or have any advice? I am currently predicted a 2.1 for context.

Honestly, literature translation is not a career path, it's insanely competitive and terribly paid. You could try doing one of the summer schools at UEA or Bristol to dip your toe in. There's no reason you shouldn't apply for a translation MA in another better paid, more stable career though - look at the list of the courses on the ITI website: https://www.iti.org.uk/starting-out/universities-and-courses.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending