The Student Room Group

Essay subject people: How would you approach an essay question in exam?

assuming you've learnt all the content, how would you approach the question under the exam pressure?
As best as you can, it's all about the content and knowledge you know and even if the question isn't something you are confident about, you have to jump at it and go along with it. I always plan the outline, make sure I cover several points in a paragraph and throw all I know about it even if I answered it incorrectly or inaccurately.
Depends on subject.

I'm a History student so we have a very specific format to it; we call it PEEL, or Point - Explanation - Evidence - Link.

We start with a brief intro, a bit like an abstract, about what we're gonna talk about. Then we take the most important factors in favour of our view and write about them first, using the info in the question. Then the opposite, weigh them up and make a judgment.

With historical sources the tricky part comes in understanding how much you can glean from one statement; for example we had a source talking about women in war camps during wartime Nazi Germany. On the surface it looked normal until I picked up the camp was in Germany, when they generally didn't keep camps there but in conquered territory (usually Poland). That sort of thing.

Then you just see how you can tie your own knowledge to the source info to create a cohesive, strong and innovative argument.
Reply 3
Original post by SkyRees
Depends on subject.

I'm a History student so we have a very specific format to it; we call it PEEL, or Point - Explanation - Evidence - Link.

We start with a brief intro, a bit like an abstract, about what we're gonna talk about. Then we take the most important factors in favour of our view and write about them first, using the info in the question. Then the opposite, weigh them up and make a judgment.

With historical sources the tricky part comes in understanding how much you can glean from one statement; for example we had a source talking about women in war camps during wartime Nazi Germany. On the surface it looked normal until I picked up the camp was in Germany, when they generally didn't keep camps there but in conquered territory (usually Poland). That sort of thing.

Then you just see how you can tie your own knowledge to the source info to create a cohesive, strong and innovative argument.

i do history A level and struggle with source based exam papers, i just can't focus on the value, validity, reliability... it's a whole new skill compared to the basic debate essay paper which is my other unit. would you say i would analyse the source and look below the surface like i do with english literature? half of my mind is saying yes, but the other half is saying this is history, it's different...
History:
Agree with the question, using similar PEEL structure that everyone has mentioned.
Then break it down, disagreeing with the question using the same method.
Strong conclusion with a historians quote.
English Literature:
Nice introduction which deals with the main themes in the question and context.
Dicuss the question, explore the different themes and scenes in every paragraph that relate to the question, making sure to use plenty of quotes etc and always link back to the question
Disagree with the question in my last paragraph, offering tentative proposals for why things in the play/book/poem are a certain way.
Nice strong conclusion.

Plan plan plan. English Literature requires a nice strong plan so you can focus on a lovely essay rather than thinking about quotes etc. History needs a good flow so continually link to the question.
When analysing a source you can do that; a source might prove one point but have a gaping flaw in it, to which end you could make the good point, and at the end of the paragraph mention the negative part as a counter-balance.

In History you can't make assumptions to the same extent as in English (where it can be pure conjecture and you'll still get marked for it), but you can think outside the box if you have knowledge or can cross-reference from another source something that backs it up if that's what you meant.
Reply 6
Original post by SkyRees
When analysing a source you can do that; a source might prove one point but have a gaping flaw in it, to which end you could make the good point, and at the end of the paragraph mention the negative part as a counter-balance.

In History you can't make assumptions to the same extent as in English (where it can be pure conjecture and you'll still get marked for it), but you can think outside the box if you have knowledge or can cross-reference from another source something that backs it up if that's what you meant.

thanks, that really does clarify it.
I'm glad; I know it can feel endlessly complex sometimes. Let me know if you need help with either subject, I did the old spec but got A's so I might still be able to advise :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest