The Student Room Group

Need help with A level psychology 16 marker!

For the question 'outline and evalutate at least two definitions of abnormality', I want to talk about deviation from social normas and statistical infrequency. In my AO3, do I have to compare them, or can I just talk about their strengths and limitations individually?

Thank you!!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by educationamirite
For the question 'outline and evalutate at least two definitions of abnormality', I want to talk about deviation from social normas and statistical infrequency. In my AO3, do I have to compare them, or can I just talk about their strengths and limitations individually?
Thank you!!
you can compare them if you want but i would talk about their strengths and limitations
Thank you!!
My teacher is an AQA exam marker. She says that the most coherent (you are marked on how coherent your answer is for essay questions) is to describe one explanation, then evaluate it, and then describe the other, and evaluate that.
Original post by tomhughesa
My teacher is an AQA exam marker. She says that the most coherent (you are marked on how coherent your answer is for essay questions) is to describe one explanation, then evaluate it, and then describe the other, and evaluate that.
Thank you!

Quick question: is there a certain amount of 8 or 16 markers in a paper? like is there often 3 8m in a paper and 1 16m or
Thank you!
Quick question: is there a certain amount of 8 or 16 markers in a paper? like is there often 3 8m in a paper and 1 16m or
Hi. That’s a good question. My teacher has said that there is usually 6 (and that should also be expected this exam series- it’s a sort of unwritten rule for the question setters I think) 16 markers in each exam series for the AQA spec. There is usually 1 on Paper 2 (it usually rotates between Approaches and Biopsychology- last year there was an AO2 essay on Localisation and Plasticity in Biopsychology, so we should expect a 16 marker in the Approaches section this year) as well as the “Design a Study” 12 marker that comes at the end of the Research Methods section (although the presence of a design a study 12 marker isn’t guaranteed). The other 5 are then split between Paper 1 and 3- almost certainly 3 in one of them and 2 on the other. If you walk out of Paper 1 having done 3 16 mark essay questions, you should expect 2 on Paper 3 and vice versa. If a section doesn’t have a 16 marker, it will probably have an 8 marker instead nowadays. However, AQA is unpredictable and can change unexpectedly, but is fairly reliable on this kind of thing. Expect 6 16-mark exam questions this summer- likely 2 in Paper 1, 1 in Paper 2, and 3 in Paper 3 I would guess, the other sections will likely have 8 markers rounding them out, and the Research Methods section on Paper 2 will likely have the 12 marker this year as it didn’t last year. Other than that I don’t think there are any patterns or things to be aware of, eg for AO2 mark essays ect. Hope this helps.
Original post by tomhughesa
Hi. That’s a good question. My teacher has said that there is usually 6 (and that should also be expected this exam series- it’s a sort of unwritten rule for the question setters I think) 16 markers in each exam series for the AQA spec. There is usually 1 on Paper 2 (it usually rotates between Approaches and Biopsychology- last year there was an AO2 essay on Localisation and Plasticity in Biopsychology, so we should expect a 16 marker in the Approaches section this year) as well as the “Design a Study” 12 marker that comes at the end of the Research Methods section (although the presence of a design a study 12 marker isn’t guaranteed). The other 5 are then split between Paper 1 and 3- almost certainly 3 in one of them and 2 on the other. If you walk out of Paper 1 having done 3 16 mark essay questions, you should expect 2 on Paper 3 and vice versa. If a section doesn’t have a 16 marker, it will probably have an 8 marker instead nowadays. However, AQA is unpredictable and can change unexpectedly, but is fairly reliable on this kind of thing. Expect 6 16-mark exam questions this summer- likely 2 in Paper 1, 1 in Paper 2, and 3 in Paper 3 I would guess, the other sections will likely have 8 markers rounding them out, and the Research Methods section on Paper 2 will likely have the 12 marker this year as it didn’t last year. Other than that I don’t think there are any patterns or things to be aware of, eg for AO2 mark essays ect. Hope this helps.
thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending