The Student Room Group

What to submit for AMES written work?

I've applied for Japanese (branch of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies) and I need to submit 2 pieces of written work in English for my application. Problem is I don't study any essay subject except Geography and nothing I've written is really related to Asia, nor is it very long because the essays are only a few hundred words at most.

Could I submit an essay about physical geography (e.g. disaster management) or should I stick to human geography? I only have 2 recent essays (completed in exam conditions) and although they got full marks I feel like they aren't very impressive outside of A Level Geography examiner standards... and wouldn't give much to discuss in an interview.

My EPQ essay is actually related to AMES and I mentioned it in my personal statement, but I've only completed the introduction so far and I would have to submit only an extract since it's quite long. Should I try write the Japan-related section of my EPQ before the deadline or just submit my Geography essays?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by sakurui
I've applied for Japanese (branch of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies) and I need to submit 2 pieces of written work in English for my application. Problem is I don't study any essay subject except Geography and nothing I've written is really related to Asia, nor is it very long because the essays are only a few hundred words at most.

Could I submit an essay about physical geography (e.g. disaster management) or should I stick to human geography? I only have 2 recent essays (completed in exam conditions) and although they got full marks I feel like they aren't very impressive outside of A Level Geography examiner standards... and wouldn't give much to discuss in an interview.

My EPQ essay is actually related to AMES and I mentioned it in my personal statement, but I've only completed the introduction so far and I would have to submit only an extract since it's quite long. Should I try write the Japan-related section of my EPQ before the deadline or just submit my Geography essays?

It states clearly: "The particular topic of your essay and the A-level (or equivalent) subject from which it is drawn are not important; it is intended to show how you construct an argument and express your ideas in English". That said I think they would expect a full length essay and not just short-response answers of a few hundred words, as that doesn't demonstrate your ability to construct a sustained academic argument.

Your interview is probably mainly going to be based on questions they ask you based on any other wider reading you did and/or things they know you won't have studied already so they can understand how you approach topics in the field analytically and explain your reasoning.

Oxford does recommend discussing with your teacher(s) what to submit so that may be worth doing to start with.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
It states clearly: "The particular topic of your essay and the A-level (or equivalent) subject from which it is drawn are not important; it is intended to show how you construct an argument and express your ideas in English". That said I think they would expect a full length essay and not just short-response answers of a few hundred words, as that doesn't demonstrate your ability to construct a sustained academic argument.

Your interview is probably mainly going to be based on questions they ask you based on any other wider reading you did and/or things they know you won't have studied already so they can understand how you approach topics in the field analytically and explain your reasoning.

Oxford does recommend discussing with your teacher(s) what to submit so that may be worth doing to start with.

Okay I'll try discuss it with my teachers, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending