The Student Room Group

Is this actually true?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cambio wechsel
Week old halfpage thread in which the OP asked a straightforward question and received a definitive answer ("no":wink:. Why is it top of the pops at "Today on TSR"?

Four weeks later and youre right again. Is TSR out of scandalous Oxbridge threads or is there a glitch in the matrix? 🤔

wow that is exactly what i was looking for specific figures so nice one.

not sure if I am mis reading these though I mean if I understand right this means that the average Cambridge maths Student spends 36.6 hours a week studying and Oxford students 34.4. This Includes all lectures Supervisions classes and self study etc combined?

if so that is a lot less then the figure I was expecting and is an easily manageable work load.

or is that hours outside of classes lectures and supervisions etc? in which case this is the lower end of what I was expecting in terms of work load.?
Original post by Luke7456
wow that is exactly what i was looking for specific figures so nice one.

not sure if I am mis reading these though I mean if I understand right this means that the average Cambridge maths Student spends 36.6 hours a week studying and Oxford students 34.4. This Includes all lectures Supervisions classes and self study etc combined?

if so that is a lot less then the figure I was expecting and is an easily manageable work load.

or is that hours outside of classes lectures and supervisions etc? in which case this is the lower end of what I was expecting in terms of work load.?

I think it is explained in the document - its everything.

I think its probably a 'normal' week i.e. you could expect things to be worse in exam time.

I also think its important to recognise that uni is neither school (where you sit there and information is fed to you) or a job (where you perform a series of small, often menial tasks all day) - doing 40-50 hours of that per week is easy. Accomplishing truly 50 hours per week of meaningful, independent research and learning and committing it to memory (as opposed to doing 50 hours but 20 of those being cat videos and 'biggest rugby tackles', or just copying out a textbook) is a lot harder. If you did 35 hours of proper efficient work per week you'd achieve a lot - I was probably way under that throughout my degree.
Original post by nexttime
I think it is explained in the document - its everything.

I think its probably a 'normal' week i.e. you could expect things to be worse in exam time.

I also think its important to recognise that uni is neither school (where you sit there and information is fed to you) or a job (where you perform a series of small, often menial tasks all day) - doing 40-50 hours of that per week is easy. Accomplishing truly 50 hours per week of meaningful, independent research and learning and committing it to memory (as opposed to doing 50 hours but 20 of those being cat videos and 'biggest rugby tackles', or just copying out a textbook) is a lot harder. If you did 35 hours of proper efficient work per week you'd achieve a lot - I was probably way under that throughout my degree.

I couldn't agree with this more. 50 hours of actually productive academic endeavour is a real achievement - so much so in fact that I'm tempted to think it's not possible. As you say, a 35-hour week is incredibly productive - I think if a student did a bit of a time and motion study, they'd be amazed at the amount of time wasted on social media, finding sweets, filling pens, 'finding' books and papers etc etc. I was, anyway!
okay excellent well thanks guys feel like I shouldnt be so concerned by my current attainment I procrastinate to much. If I can tame my autism manage the anxiety and maintain the long focus I can ace Oxbridge then. autistic people are known for their focus been able to go well beyond and above what normal people can.

I cannot say this is a trait I have as I procrastinate a lot, but I have seen I can do it. I mean my first deity win on Civilization went on till 7am Iliterally stayed up through out the entire night without even realizing it.

I know people will say you cant compare a computer game to studying etc but beating Civ on deity is very hard. and requires a lot of thought planing etc, so it is a lot of focus to maintain concentration like that.

I have sworn to never play civ games ever again despite them been a major part of my childhood etc they are life destroyers. saying goodbye to civ games is like saying goodbye forever to a very good friend, those games will be missed very much. However it is a necessary sacrifice that needs to be made I have to remember my previous addiction to the civ games has similarities to drug addicts and I need to avoid them forever.

anyway my point was I have the focus ability in me once I can master it I will be able to focus for 60 hours + a week without any difficulty at all.

the difficulty is mastering it.
Reply 25
...the difficulty is mastering it.

One tip regarding procrastination, you don't need to type an essay each time you post on TSR. Maybe try to keep your posts brief and to the point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
One tip regarding procrastination, you don't need to type an essay each time you post on TSR. Maybe try to keep your posts brief and to the point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

noted thing about me though saying something concisely is not a talent of mine.
Reply 27
noted thing about me though saying something concisely is not a talent of mine.

You just did :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
You just did :smile:

didnt say I can never do it just its not something I am usually good at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending