The Student Room Group

Academic failure

What should I do, I cant seem to move on from my academic failures and they always bring me down, stopping me form performing better in exams?
It also doesnt help that I cant help comparing myself to others
Don’t dwell on past fails but instead see them as moments for improvement and a time to reflect. Whenever I fail something I reflect on what I could’ve done better. In my mind I can’t be upset about not getting good scores if I know I didn’t try hard enough. If you know you’ve done as much as you could in terms of revision and preparation then honestly don’t dwell on it because you’re doing your best ! Also, never compare your scores to others, be proud of what you’ve achieved. Not everyone has the same standard of what’s a good/bad score. People may look at your scores and wish they had it. Be proud of your work !!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Don’t dwell on past fails but instead see them as moments for improvement and a time to reflect. Whenever I fail something I reflect on what I could’ve done better. In my mind I can’t be upset about not getting good scores if I know I didn’t try hard enough. If you know you’ve done as much as you could in terms of revision and preparation then honestly don’t dwell on it because you’re doing your best ! Also, never compare your scores to others, be proud of what you’ve achieved. Not everyone has the same standard of what’s a good/bad score. People may look at your scores and wish they had it. Be proud of your work !!

thank you ...:smile:
Well, it does only matter, with who you compare yourself. (We tend to compare us with those most successful, not the actual average.) :smile: But at the end, it is important to find out, what is important for you and what you thrive in. Often way more simple things make us actually happy and thus, it is not necessary to aim to high. And when we are more chill with ourselve, we have less baggage and perform better.

So try to see it more as an adventure, a challenge with yourself, not others. :smile:
Reply 4
Learn from your mistakes

There are many options and you can work your way up from a job which many do

You could try the open university
Remember that academic stuff is not your entire personality, that helped me
Reply 6
Original post by ItTakesItsTroll2
What you do is you out you academic failure in context .

there are people who have witnessed their entire families torn about by gun fire etc , had to flee there home because of war . The untold pain and anguish they have suffered , now compare their lives compared to yours , you have it pretty good don’t you ?

maybe chill out and release you failures for what they are, opportunities to do better .

That is true, but it is easier said then when u repeatedly fail, but u r right and those people are my motivation to try again cause as cliche as it is , i want to help make a difference.
Reply 7
Original post by Teribblestudent
Remember that academic stuff is not your entire personality, that helped me

yeah we do have to remind ourselves that as students, especially as our whole lives and youth has and is largely academics
Reply 8
Original post by Analyst89
Learn from your mistakes

There are many options and you can work your way up from a job which many do

You could try the open university

i will try my best to , thanks...luckily i still have a chance as i havent done a-levels yet, i have till before May.then i am thinking if i get the reuslts i will apply a yr after-i plan to work at it.......its just it can be hard to stay optimistic ya know -htough i acknowledge i am lucky
Reply 9
Original post by Nathanielle_
Well, it does only matter, with who you compare yourself. (We tend to compare us with those most successful, not the actual average.) :smile: But at the end, it is important to find out, what is important for you and what you thrive in. Often way more simple things make us actually happy and thus, it is not necessary to aim to high. And when we are more chill with ourselve, we have less baggage and perform better.

So try to see it more as an adventure, a challenge with yourself, not others. :smile:

True , its u vs u after all , its important for me to do rlly well because education is the doorway to a lot of oppurtunities and this will enable me to make an actual difference ..u can only help others if u have the means..
the stress thing is so true----i rlly am trying to chnage my mindset cause its what made me do much worse then iw ould have otherwise
i will try my best to , thanks...luckily i still have a chance as i havent done a-levels yet, i have till before May.then i am thinking if i get the reuslts i will apply a yr after-i plan to work at it.......its just it can be hard to stay optimistic ya know -htough i acknowledge i am lucky

Some advice from someone who didn't do that well in my A-levels. Being optimistic can take time honestly and even if you have days where you aren't feeling very optimistic that's alright too. I finished year 13 last summer and took a gap year for personal reasons. Good luck for your A-level exams btw :smile:
Reply 11
Some advice from someone who didn't do that well in my A-levels. Being optimistic can take time honestly and even if you have days where you aren't feeling very optimistic that's alright too. I finished year 13 last summer and took a gap year for personal reasons. Good luck for your A-level exams btw :smile:

i appreciate that thanks....i think its important to acknowledge that it is okay to have an off day otherwise it ends up becoming an offweek...i hope everything goes well for u:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest