The Student Room Group

Should men have the right to "abort" their unborn child?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantex
Bring your own condoms and choose another orifice if it is a concern.

oh my ****ing word mate
that's like saying if somebody burgles your home you'd be saying "you shouldn't have lived so near to a criminal"
or if you get shot at in a school shooting, you'd be saying "shouldn't have been to school that day, should have seen this coming"
Original post by Angry Bird
if women want equality so bad then yes. Men should have the right to abort the unborn child

I believe in equality. Any man who happens to have a uterus and become pregnant should be absolutely free to get an abortion, free of charge and without harassment, undignified treatment or any other consequence, and be given all the support he needs during and after the decision. Any other case is not comparable because 99% of men are physically incapable of becoming pregnant or having an abortion.
Original post by DerpTwerk
oh my ****ing word mate
that's like saying if somebody burgles your home you'd be saying "you shouldn't have lived so near to a criminal"

Classic victim blaming. It's fine if you do it to men though :smile:
Reply 23
We get to make the choice before sex after that it's a negotiation. Being a father doesn't compare to the bond a child has with their mother…
If they specify in another time in advance (aka before the abortion cut off limit) that they want no involvement, yes they should be allowed a so-to-say "financial abortion". If the woman goes through with the pregnancy regardless then it's all on her as she had all the facts to make an informed decision.
Of course. Why should the woman have the unilateral power to decide whether or not to subject the man to a lifelong obligation?
Original post by Metal Gear
Classic victim blaming. It's fine if you do it to men though :smile:

yes exactly
if a woman gets raped, she "shouldn't have been out at night where rapists might be around" - it's literally the same logic. it's to demand that the most entirely unreasonable expectations are to be put only upon the victim. it's mandating that a man's stake in his own financial enslavement (at least for 18 years) is meaningless so long as the woman is pandered to. even a woman who deceives the man.
Original post by zayn008
Being a father doesn't compare to the bond a child has with their mother…

What a vile thing to say.
Original post by zayn008
We get to make the choice before sex after that it's a negotiation. Being a father doesn't compare to the bond a child has with their mother…

really? what do you mean? that's kind of pigeonholing all women as the more important parents, isn't it? either that's really sexist or just very shallow minded. what if the child was a male and needed guidance from a fatherly figure? what if the mother was an awful person? in fact, studies have shown that mothers hit their children more than fathers do, and are more likely to be pedophiles.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Any other case is not comparable because 99% of men are physically incapable of becoming pregnant or having an abortion.

Just out of interest, do you understand the amount of people you cause immediately to disregard everything you've said when you imply that some men are physically capable of becoming pregnant?

Do you realise that and press on anyway, or do you think that is generally regarded as a reasonable statement?
Original post by Quantex
No, if think you are old enough to have sex, then you are old enough to take some financial responsibility for any resulting progeny.

So you're against female abortions too?
Original post by zayn008
We get to make the choice before sex after that it's a negotiation. Being a father doesn't compare to the bond a child has with their mother

lol
oh my ****ing word mate
or if you get shot at in a school shooting, you'd be saying "shouldn't have been to school that day, should have seen this coming"

No, the more accurate comparison would be:

You invite someone who you aren't sure about/don't know that well, to come and look round your house and then they take some of your stuff as they weren't to be trusted. Then he'd be saying "Well you did invite that strange person in your house"

or

You see someone at school with a gun and think this is probably fine I imagine the safety is on and no one would shoot a gun at school and follow them into the room. Then he'd be saying "You should have left when you saw the gun"

The point is largely that you know there is the risk of something occurring and still enter the scenario yourself. It doesn't excuse what the other person did, but, you did knowingly enter that situation of risk, you weren't an innocent bystander.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by zayn008

Please go...
I don't think people are really thinking very hard when they are advocating "for equality" by saying that men should have a right to say whether there should be an abortion or not.

What if the woman says that she doesn't want to abort but the man does? What happens now? Well this is what I think will happen:

No matter what the man says, the decision is up to the woman if she wants to undergo the abortion as, after all, the feotus is part of her and the procedure affects the woman physically. No woman should be forced to undergo the procedure.

But what about the man? Should he pay for the costs? I think this should be resolved in a case by case basis by court. Things like" whether the man was careless and did not bother using contraceptives" should be explored in the court case.

However one would wonder if this can do more harm than good if the man breaks up with the single mother as she would be left if essentially no source of income (if the court decided that the man didn't have to pay for child support).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Just out of interest, do you understand the amount of people you cause immediately to disregard everything you've said when you imply that some men are physically capable of becoming pregnant?

Do you realise that and press on anyway, or do you think that is generally regarded as a reasonable statement?

Both, actually :smile: I don't see the need to ignore the truth simply because some people are misinformed, and considering that some people who are legally, socially and scientifically recognised as men can and do become pregnant I think it's more than a reasonable statement, it's the truth.
Reply 36
really? what do you mean? that's kind of pigeonholing all women as the more important parents, isn't it? either that's really sexist or just very shallow minded. what if the child was a male and needed guidance from a fatherly figure? what if the mother was an awful person? in fact, studies have shown that mothers hit their children more than fathers do, and are more likely to be pedophiles.

I guess it depends on individual morals and upbringing, I personally wouldn't have sex with an awful person and would make sure I'd want them to be the mother of my child before I have sex with them. I'd also use protection, in the event she did get pregnant I wouldn't pressure her to get an abortion. If I didn't want to be a father I'd make that clear then let her decide. But do you think it's okay for you to make a women take away a human life against her will? Do you realise what you'd put her through? It's incredibly selfish. It's also proven children are more violent without a motherly bond in their upbringing. Perhaps you could make an agreement beforehand if you're regularly having sex if you're that prepared and determined to not have a baby, at least she won't suffer as much emotional trauma.
Original post by -Simon-
No, the more accurate comparison would be:

You invite someone who you aren't sure about/don't know that well, to come and look round your house and then they take some of your stuff as they weren't to be trusted. Then he'd be saying "Well you did invite that strange person in your house"

how is a woman you inseminate somebody "you aren't sure about"? what if you only inseminated her because she was trustworthy beforehand? and even if she was a stranger, surely if she lied to you about the insemination not causing a pregnancy, this stems from the lie or the act of the woman and not the man? so why should the man be accountable for the wrong doing of the woman?

or

You see someone at school with a gun and think this is probably fine I imagine the safety is on and no one would shoot a gun at school and follow them into the room. Then he'd be saying "You should have left when you saw the gun"

who said the kids saw these shooters in those famous US shootings with guns!?

The point is largely that you know there is the risk of something occurring and still enter the scenario yourself. It doesn't excuse what the other person did, but, you did knowingly enter that situation of risk.

"some risk"?
so it's a proportional state of affairs?
I must assume all woman I go to bed with, whether they are woman I've only just met or women I've known for years romantically, are potential scam artists who will take my money? wouldn't that make me into a misogynist? I mean, is this against basic human decency? isn't the idea of trust being placed reasonably enough to negate the idea that a man must answer for something that is unreasonable to expect as an outcome in any kind of situation? how is this proportional in the slightest? what a ****ing harsh punishment for something so trivial. mother of god.
Reply 38
Original post by stoyfan
I don't think people are really thinking very hard when they are advocating "for equality" by saying that men should have a right to say whether there should be an abortion or not.

What if the woman says that she doesn't want to abort but the man does? What happens now? Well this is what I think will happen:

No matter what the man says, the decision is up to the woman if she wants to undergo the abortion as, after all, the feotus is part of her and the procedure affects the woman physically. No woman should be forced to undergo the procedure.

But what about the man? Should he pay for the costs? I think this should be resolved in a case by case basis by court. Things like" whether the man was careless and did not bother using contraceptives" should be explored in the court case.

However one would wonder if this can do more harm than good if the man breaks up with the single mother as she would be left if essentially no source of income (if the court decided that the man didn't have to pay for child support).

I think men should have the ability to financially opt out during the early stages of development and later stages in special circumstances rather than have the right to make a women have an abortion
This is one of those tired debates that gets done over and over again on TSR to the point where you just know how to trigger people.

Quick Reply

Latest