The Student Room Group

a level english lit DOAS analysis

im struggling with analysing the quote ‘’world in an oyster, but you don’t crack it open on a mattress’’ more in depth other then the typical analysis of to achive succuss dont be lazy hence the matress... if you guys have any deeper analysis and in depth ones i would appreciate it as my english teacher doesnt analyse the quotes in school and gives most class work as homework
-he is alluding to bens success and internalises it as the method for achieving sucess, shown by miller to have the wrong attitudes to achieving the american dream as he focuses on being charming and having a good personality rather than having the right work ethics.

- oysters live in solitary existence which alludes to willys state of mind, as being alone and isloated with no-one understanding him, which stems from his father and brother abandoning him, but due to not being able to accept that idea, he internalises their success instead and thinks of them in the highest regard with constantly referring to bens achievements and how his father sold flutes across america, could show that he too wants to be similar like them and therefore internalises what he believes his brother's secret to his success.

- oysters contain pearls and therefore symbolises potential and hope, but as well as random chance as they are completely based upon luck, which is what willys work is like, with baseless attitudes to the right work ethic with the wrong attitudes to success, (link to above point about him being alone like oyster maybe)

- oysters have shells so could be interpreted willy is like a oyster, imprisoned in his shell of his traditional mindset regarding the american dream, unable to appreciate the developments of the surrounding world

-oysters symbolised aphrodite, the goddess of love and pleasure, (I dont see this very linkable to the quote but we can try) therefore perhaps willy views the world to be source for a mans pleasure and success (link to contaninng pearls)
man, i despise doas so that was really encouraging to search up stuff to try and come up with an original analysis on a popular quote. could you suggest more quotes we could come up with interpretations for😭 i really need practice
Original post by psychstudent2625
man, i despise doas so that was really encouraging to search up stuff to try and come up with an original analysis on a popular quote. could you suggest more quotes we could come up with interpretations for😭 i really need practice

yh DOAS i find the hardest to analyse and heres a bunch of other quotes if you want;
‘’I'd like to buy some seeds. But not enough sun gets back there. Nothing'll grow anymore’’
‘’because hes only a little boat looking for harbor’’
‘’dave Singleman’’
‘’you can't eat an orange and through the peal away a man is not a piece of fruit’’
''the woods are burning''

if you have anymore analysis i would appreciate it if you could could share and would be happy to do the same if you need some for any too!
"I'd like to buy some seeds. But not enough sun gets back there. Nothing'll grow anymore’
- seeds symbolize the opportunity for willy to prove the worth of his labour and links to the earlier American dream which was to make fortune from the land itself
- seeds symbolise provision which Willy strives to do and provide for his family but cannot
- seeds take time and patience to grow, which is shown by Willys words 'nothing'll grow anymore' that his patience has waned and time has not provided fruitful results for him despite his efforts
- the sun represents life and growth , with willy saying 'not enough sun gets back there' showing that he is no longer able to benefit from the energy of the sun. This foreshadows his death as natural beings that don't get enough sunlight eventually wither and die.

"because hes only a little boat looking for harbor’’
- this quote by Linda portrays willy as a lost sailor within the vast sea, presenting his physical, financial and metal state
- doesnt acknowledge the fct that willy is the reason for why he is lost, rather Linda Romatizes her husband and can be argued to be just as equal as him in leading to his impending death

'Dave singleman'
- he called from his hotel room and made successful sales -both ben & singleman are seen as characters that put in little effort and got rich based upon chance, shows willys misplaced attitudes for inspiration in his role models, rather that admiring them for their efforts, he admires their success without acknowledging that it my be built upon chance and luck
- singleman was liked by lot of people, shows that willy's ideal role model figure is someone who willy views as successful due to being liked by alot of people and not due to working hard
- could be perceived by miller as what willys life could have been if he worked in the right direction
- dave singleman is seen as a individual completely engrossed and with complete submission of his identity to the capitalist market - willy doesn't realise this aspect and rather fantasies and creates a façade of he would to be like Signalman, ignorant of the fact that he will continue to be exploited like singleman until a ripe age
- singleman is seen to die in the same vehicle he workers in, in the same green slippers he worked for, he died within, through which Miller shows that his life is completely entangled with his work that he cannot be separated from his fixed identity of salesman, so much so that he dies trapped in his work

you can't eat an orange and through the peal away a man is not a piece of fruit’
- willy realizes he is being exploited and highlights the harsh reality of the capitalist society - they use individuals as a commodity until they become completely unusable and then dispose of them

Original post by Saima.Hussain.
would be happy to do the same if you need some for any too!

that'd be great! would love to hear dif interpretations
I'd like to buy some seeds. But not enough sun gets back there. Nothing'll grow anymore’
The sun could be symbolic of attention as through lights commotions to spotlight suggesting how societies lack of attention and untrue to how to ordinary men like Willy stunt their growth from achieving their potential into a fruitful succeessful person but the plant doesn’t grow showing he hasn’t succeeded
'Dave singleman'
- his name mirrors willys name a in single man and low man showing how the conventional life is unfulfilling. Single man also shows how like Willy he is also alone and had no body further highlighting how American society values material success over morals and family values like Willy he prioritises the woman over his wife in gifting the sticking because he wants praise and be well liked showing how family unit is destroyed by the materialism and the American dream. Some of of this is a bit of stretch but if you have the right evidence it should be fine

you can't eat an orange and through the peal away a man is not a piece of fruit’
-could link back to the seeds of Willy wanting to grow his own success and wealth of fruits but instead this could highlights he is a part of someone else’s plant or already grown seed he is the fruit which the planter( business men) have used for their success. The reference to being food suggest how society eats away at man’s sanity till there’s nothing left but the scraps of the peel. Again bit of a stretch but I honestly find DOAS SO HARD TO ANALYSE

Hopefully this was helpful I rlly tried this play is my weakest out of all lit If you have any more analysis of this and other books in Lit B to share feel free and need any help with anaylsyis from othello, kite runner, Blake poetry as study those feel free to ask because I’m a lot better at those

Also may I ask what Yr you in for down perspective because I’m in Ye 12 and dreading 13
im in year 12 too haha, tbh im excited i love lit, its my therapy subject, just doas kind throwing me off, otherwise the other text im studying, othello, im having loads of fun w it
im in year 12 too haha, tbh im excited i love lit, its my therapy subject, just doas kind throwing me off, otherwise the other text im studying, othello, im having loads of fun w it

Yh I find Shakespeare a lot easier to analyse what books are you doing for paper 2

oh yh i dunno if you saw nceause i edited your response but analysed some of the wuotes that i could but you just have to open to the your message i replied to in the post i asked about you being in yr 12
Yh I find Shakespeare a lot easier to analyse what books are you doing for paper 2

frrr, i already did paper 1 for ial edexcel and did purple hibiscus and poems of the decade, now im doing doas and othello

oh yh i dunno if you saw nceause i edited your response but analysed some of the wuotes that i could but you just have to open to the your message i replied to in the post i asked about you being in yr 12

i just saw now! super helpful thanks !
heres a few more quote ive analysed if you could add that would be great!

‘’im a dime a dozen’’

‘’the woods are burning. I can't drive a car!’’
could be symbolic of of his destruction of mental state

‘’a small man can be just as exhausted as great man’’ - linda
conveys the common nature of exhaustion across all humans of different wealth suggesting how capitalism puts a value on different peoples lives even through we are all human.

‘’i wont have you mending stockings in this house’’ - willy
willy feels guilt about gifting stockings tp the other woman and get angry shows how he is not like a convetional tragdic protagonist and is flawed from the very beginning

‘’melody is heard, played upon a flute’’

flute always plays wenever flahbakcs to past suggest comfort in past as melody is something trnquil and soothing suggest the past before capatalism was better then the future/present for willy as he is outdated old man of no use in modern society
love your analysis! heres mine

'im a dime in a dozen'
- cliche expression used to show someone ist special
- shows that biff confronts the reality and has the ability to speak the truth about the reality of the lomans lives, yet willy is still in denial as he states 'im not a dime in a dozen, im willy loman'
- biff is see to go through an epihany and a moment of anagnorisis whilst his father remains a static character
- shows that the American family interacts around lies and secrets

"the woods are burning. I can't drive a car!’’
- the woods are a symbol of life and willy emphasizing that they are 'burining' shows that his life is collapsing. The statement afterwards emphasizes the importance that he places on his work as he cannot drive, thus cannot go for work.
- phrases shows willys descent ito madness

'a small man can be just as exhausted as great man’’
- emphasizes how the American capitalist society has stripped individuals of their dignity and puts a strain on the working class society leading to imminent exhaustion and eventually the fall of their physical ad mental health, as seen in willys case, leading to his suicide

'i wont have you mending stockings in this house'
- stockings were expensive items during the 1950s and serve as a constant reminder of how he would like to provide for his own loving family yet instead gives it to the woman in order to fulfill his sexual desires - reminds me him off his lack of contribution to the household financially as well as emotionally

’melody is heard, played upon a flute’’
- the audience is ignorant of the plot and are manipulated by the gentle music and conjures a peaceful image - curtain rises annd the harsh reality is seen
-whenever the flute is played, it presents willy being absentminded and lost within his thoughts
- reminder of his father who used to sell flutes
love your analysis! heres mine

'im a dime in a dozen'
- cliche expression used to show someone ist special
- shows that biff confronts the reality and has the ability to speak the truth about the reality of the lomans lives, yet willy is still in denial as he states 'im not a dime in a dozen, im willy loman'
- biff is see to go through an epihany and a moment of anagnorisis whilst his father remains a static character
- shows that the American family interacts around lies and secrets

"the woods are burning. I can't drive a car!’’
- the woods are a symbol of life and willy emphasizing that they are 'burining' shows that his life is collapsing. The statement afterwards emphasizes the importance that he places on his work as he cannot drive, thus cannot go for work.
- phrases shows willys descent ito madness

'a small man can be just as exhausted as great man’’
- emphasizes how the American capitalist society has stripped individuals of their dignity and puts a strain on the working class society leading to imminent exhaustion and eventually the fall of their physical ad mental health, as seen in willys case, leading to his suicide

'i wont have you mending stockings in this house'
- stockings were expensive items during the 1950s and serve as a constant reminder of how he would like to provide for his own loving family yet instead gives it to the woman in order to fulfill his sexual desires - reminds me him off his lack of contribution to the household financially as well as emotionally

’melody is heard, played upon a flute’’
- the audience is ignorant of the plot and are manipulated by the gentle music and conjures a peaceful image - curtain rises annd the harsh reality is seen
-whenever the flute is played, it presents willy being absentminded and lost within his thoughts
- reminder of his father who used to sell flutes

super helpful thanks!
what do you think it means everytime happy says 'im going to get married' and they just ignore it or say go to bed
what do you think it means everytime happy says 'im going to get married' and they just ignore it or say go to bed

personally i dont think ist significant in term of the play as a whole but heres a few ideas

miller could be conveying how tradition of being happy through family values and morals as being lost and forgettn about just as happy is forgets and ignore it when he goes to bed
could also convey how how personal goals and achivements tare being lost for convetional common ones such as being rich as everyone wants to be rich

also i was thinking of us also coming up with ideas of othello as well as you also do that as well if thats fine with you
(edited 1 year ago)
oo interesting! i was thinking perhaps its cus his family are preoccupied in their own problems so they dont see his desire for marriage as a priority, also the fact he wants to marry could be due to wanting to not wanting to sleep around and being more like his dad who has a good relationship with his mom (atleast to him)

and ofc id love to do othello, any themes or quotes we could look into?
oo interesting! i was thinking perhaps its cus his family are preoccupied in their own problems so they dont see his desire for marriage as a priority, also the fact he wants to marry could be due to wanting to not wanting to sleep around and being more like his dad who has a good relationship with his mom (atleast to him)

and ofc id love to do othello, any themes or quotes we could look into?

yhh you could say willly emptionally neglects his family aas well as physically for his own selfish dream

heres some quote i think would be intresting for othello, feel free to add;

‘’they eat us hungerly and when they are full, they belch us’’ -Emilia
conveys how men percives woman as as object to use and dispose, im struggling on analysisng this on in depth other then the survace level of woman beung used like objects

‘’their wives have sense like them: they see, and smell, and have their palates both sweet and sour’’
subverst the madonna ***** theory of woman being just simply good and bad by showing they can have complex emotions just like men

‘’there are many events in the womb of time which will be delivered’’ - Iago

’the fountain from which my current runs or else dries up. To be discarded thence or keep it as a cistern for foul toads’’
illustrates how othellos love but desdemona had been tainted by hate and doubt caused by iago
- shows her wisdom and understanding of the psychology of men which is self taught through her experience with iago, and shows her disregrd for marriage as seen through the grotesque imagery of how they 'belch' once theyre full suggesting how once their sexual needs are fullfilled, they abandon women.
- shows the dynamics of their relationship where the inferior maid is seen advising her mistress

‘’their wives have sense like them: they see, and smell, and have their palates both sweet and sour’’
- shows how emilia is aware of the role of women within society aand challenges this through emphasizing how women are similar to men in their desires which they control
- implying to desdemona that she should stand up for herself, showig their itimiate friendship as dynamics of sisterly love
- represets the sexism apparent in the time as emilia is a mouthpiece of female equality rights and strives to achieve having the sme chances as men. However, this is ignored by society and femles themselves who had internalised the inequality embedded in society as seen through desdemona's reply 'Good night, good night..' showing that the reform for the equality between men and women had not been fought for yet, and she is seen to be eventually silenced for speaking out against the cruelty of the patriarchy by her own husband and killed.

- personification of relating time as being pregant with events which would slowly come out shortly - assures rodreigo the future is promising like how a child brings joy to a mother after the birth
- acts as a director of the play (link to interpretation of iago being a plywright within the play, that being the reason for his motives) who reveals the future to be prosperous

’the fountain from which my current runs or else dries up. To be discarded thence or keep it as a cistern for foul toads’’
- motif of water - Fountain is his circulatory system - life - what keeps him alive. It is dried up and now lifeless
- shows her wisdom and understanding of the psychology of men which is self taught through her experience with iago, and shows her disregrd for marriage as seen through the grotesque imagery of how they 'belch' once theyre full suggesting how once their sexual needs are fullfilled, they abandon women.
- shows the dynamics of their relationship where the inferior maid is seen advising her mistress

- shows how emilia is aware of the role of women within society aand challenges this through emphasizing how women are similar to men in their desires which they control
- implying to desdemona that she should stand up for herself, showig their itimiate friendship as dynamics of sisterly love
- represets the sexism apparent in the time as emilia is a mouthpiece of female equality rights and strives to achieve having the sme chances as men. However, this is ignored by society and femles themselves who had internalised the inequality embedded in society as seen through desdemona's reply 'Good night, good night..' showing that the reform for the equality between men and women had not been fought for yet, and she is seen to be eventually silenced for speaking out against the cruelty of the patriarchy by her own husband and killed.

- personification of relating time as being pregant with events which would slowly come out shortly - assures rodreigo the future is promising like how a child brings joy to a mother after the birth
- acts as a director of the play (link to interpretation of iago being a plywright within the play, that being the reason for his motives) who reveals the future to be prosperous

- motif of water - Fountain is his circulatory system - life - what keeps him alive. It is dried up and now lifeless

wow rlly helpful analysis and also sorry for the late reply had an exam that was busy studying for

heres a few more intresting quotes and analysis feel free to add;

‘’arise black vengeance, from the hollow hell! Yield up, O love, thy crown and hearted throne to tyrannous hate’’
the lexical feild of power through throne and crown suggest how othellos love for desdemona is controlling him and stopping him from killing her so he wants to dethrone this love to hate so he can kill her

‘’our bodies are our gardens, to which our wills are gardeners’’-
convesy free will and resposnilbity of othello and actions are soley his fault even though iago munipulates him, gardens suggest how our wills can be nutured to make us propserous and also can destroy us they are ultimalty what determines our fate and outcome, and it was othellos will to kill desdemona which reslted in her death

‘’thy bed lust stained shall with lusts blood be spotted’’, ‘’falls on bed and dies’’, ‘’for nor I did in hate, all in honour’’
shows how the bed sheets have been tainted with betrayal and hatred as once is was used for love also shows how significant honor in men was as othello wasnt really that hateful of desdemona he still loved for but was pushed by he reputation and maintaining it, showing how toxic masculinty is to blame and not fully his easy influence to iago

‘’i cannot give it vital growth again, it needs must wither’’
symbolic of desdemona she is dead and will remian dead his actions are irrversable showing hatred and insuation is powerful and damaging to growth and love
‘’arise black vengeance, from the hollow hell! Yield up, O love, thy crown and hearted throne to tyrannous hate’’
- shows how othello's shift in mind as he is engulfed with emotion and is no longer the rational othello from the start of teh play, hilightig the structural parallels shakespere sets through the charactarisation of othello
- othello is consumed by revenge and his harmatia is seen to overcome him

‘’our bodies are our gardens, to which our wills are gardeners’’-
- the analogy of comparing 'bodies to 'gardes' and 'wills' to 'gardeners' highlights how he believes individuals to be the sole controllers of their behaviors.
- by using this metaphor, he uses the idea of plants to illustrate his point that human behaviour is organic and inevitable, suggesting it needs to be tended until therye fully grown.

‘’thy bed lust stained shall with lusts blood be spotted’’, ‘’falls on bed and dies’’, ‘’for nor I did in hate, all in honour’’
- their wedding sheets are symbolic of their marriage and sexual union
- it links in with the handkerchief which was a white cloth with strawberries on it, suggesting the blood of the a virgin for the first time after sex, suggesting her purity and innocence
- shows how iago manipulates something so innocent into a sign of infidelity - Shakespeare presents language here as a powerful tool as to what it leads to, in the case of othello and Desdemona, the downfall of their relationship

‘’when i have plucked thy rose, i cannot give it vital growth again, it needs must wither’’
- rose which is typically a symbol of romance and love, has been twisted by othellos delusions to something malicious.
- use of the verb 'plucked' - the plosives create a harsh sound foreshadowing the sense of destruction
- the rose could be a metaphor for her virginity and her being unchaste thus leading to her withering in his heart (maybe??)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending