The Student Room Group

Queen Mary or Royal Holloway?

Hi I'm torn between Queen Mary and Royal Holloway to study Ba Human Geography.
I have been told that Royal Holloway is better for geography. I'm torn due to the location as I like the location of Queen Mary?
I would appreciate some advice as I don't know people who have been to either univerity and being in Ireland I have no way of going to an open day.
If the course at Royal Holloway appeals more then there's your answer. The undergrad fee is a lot to spend for 3 years on somewhere just because you like the location.
Are you bengali? QM has a lot of bengali students and its russel group (although its a weak russel group)
Please don't base your decision about where to go on whether there are more or less Bengali students around! And the Russell group means little to undergrads but it does mean that certain standards have to be maintained. However, as I said before, course should come first.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
If the course at Royal Holloway appeals more then there's your answer. The undergrad fee is a lot to spend for 3 years on somewhere just because you like the location.

I find both courses equally as appealing I've been thinking more about which university would create the best opportunities and wether I'd be better off going to one over the other
Reply 5
Original post by years101
Are you bengali? QM has a lot of bengali students and its russel group (although its a weak russel group)

no I'm not
Academically, they are comparable with regards to quality. Assuming the modules both offer appeal to you, you can call that a tie. Does either course allow for a year abroad, or any other specific opportunity you want to make use of? If not, you can call that a tie too.

With regards to location, you need to consider if you want to live in Egham or London. Typically, people either do or don't want to do the latter and that will inform their decision. For example, when I was applying for undergrad I knew I didn't want to live in London so disregarded London universities.
Reply 7
Original post by ByronicHero
Academically, they are comparable with regards to quality. Assuming the modules both offer appeal to you, you can call that a tie. Does either course allow for a year abroad, or any other specific opportunity you want to make use of? If not, you can call that a tie too.

With regards to location, you need to consider if you want to live in Egham or London. Typically, people either do or don't want to do the latter and that will inform their decision. For example, when I was applying for undergrad I knew I didn't want to live in London so disregarded London universities.

Ok thank you for that
Original post by mod17
Hi I'm torn between Queen Mary and Royal Holloway to study Ba Human Geography.
I have been told that Royal Holloway is better for geography. I'm torn due to the location as I like the location of Queen Mary?
I would appreciate some advice as I don't know people who have been to either univerity and being in Ireland I have no way of going to an open day.

Hey! I've applied to RHUL to do BA Geography! You are right that the department has a good reputation, just look at the REF 2014 -- it came second for research intensity :smile: I was impressed by the Applicant Visitor Day last week, the department was very friendly and the staff were actively engaged (especially with geogsoc, which is affiliated with the department as opposed to the student union in other universities -- meaning the staff get more involved with events). Not to mention the variety of fieldwork options available: they are starting another 2 new trips for second year students!

But, ultimately, I may be slightly biased seeing this is my firm choice. Only you can decide between QMUL and RHUL. Think about location, look at the courses side by side, accommodation and even career prospects. How important is going to a Russell group to you?

I hope you make the right decision! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by hpiercey3
Hey! I've applied to RHUL to do BA Geography! You are right that the department has a good reputation, just look at the REF 2014 -- it came second for research intensity :smile: I was impressed by the Applicant Visitor Day last week, the department was very friendly and the staff were actively engaged (especially with geogsoc, which is affiliated with the department as opposed to the student union in other universities -- meaning the staff get more involved with events). Not to mention the variety of fieldwork options available: they are starting another 2 new trips for second year students!

But, ultimately, I may be slightly biased seeing this is my firm choice. Only you can decide between QMUL and RHUL. Think about location, look at the courses side by side, accommodation and even career prospects. How important is going to a Russell group to you?

I hope you make the right decision! :smile:

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending