The Student Room Group

Are they're any high end apprenticeships after GCSE's ?

Yo Guys,
I am hoping and will most likely get 6 A*s and rest A's at GCSE, I am also looking to do an apprenticeship right after GCSE's but all the ones i have looked at are very crappy and only require 5 C's which is a 'low' standard for me, I really want a high end and good apprenticeship , but there are none I can find, WHAT SHALL I DO ??
Reply 1
i suggest finding a company that you like or aspire to then, either talk to them or email them with a proposal of what you can do for them and what you would like in return from them
Original post by cruncher123
Yo Guys,
I am hoping and will most likely get 6 A*s and rest A's at GCSE, I am also looking to do an apprenticeship right after GCSE's but all the ones i have looked at are very crappy and only require 5 C's which is a 'low' standard for me, I really want a high end and good apprenticeship , but there are none I can find, WHAT SHALL I DO ??

Do you what industry or sector you're interested in working in? You're grades are brilliant but what you need is some direction. Have you had any work experience yet?

Also based on where you are currently living may affect the opportunities available to you unless you move.

Have you looked the current vacancies nationally on this page? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=23537-apprenticeship-zone
Yo Guys,

Generally, the best (high end as you put it) apprenticeships are the ones that combine workplace based training and studying for a degree (with an emphasis on work and developing valuable technical skills), i.e. degree apprenticeships (level 6 or 7). Unfortunately these tend to require A levels and often good grades at that.

There are of course level 3 apprenticeships available to you but these are generally equivalent to A levels but with the big downside of being rather narrowly focused and possibly somewhat limiting your future options. The upside though is work experience and practical skills gained. Unfortunately I don't know much about level 4 apprenticeships and I don't know if you'd be eligible for those.

The advantage of A levels is that, especially when you chose facilitating subjects (i.e. subjects that are required for certain degrees, apprenticeships or jobs), you can study a fairly broad range of topics (thus hopefully widening your potential career interests) and use them to apply to apprenticeships or degrees in numerous fields. You can also mitigate against future competitors who have done apprenticeships (and thus have a solid work experience background) by doing small amounts of work experience, work shadowing and/or getting a part time, evening or job during the holidays. You can also demonstrate skills that others might have by doing extra curricular activities and taking on positions of responsibility both within school/college and outside of it.

It might be worth checking out jobs/areas of work that you're interested in and finding out what's required to do those roles. I would though advise you to keep an open mind especially as you're young, things can change, you can change and just generally it's hard to know what you want to do, so it's usually best to keep your options open as wide as possible. Given that your grades prove you are very able academically, I would say that A levels (chose subjects wisely though) give you the best route to keeping your options open for the moment, even if you are keen to get stuck in to the world of work - 2 more years can open a lot more doors.

Hope this helps and feel free to critique what I've said!
Yo Guys,

- First thing to note, even though the job's requirements state 5C's it could be the case that successful candidates have way above this. So this does not necessary indicate whether the apprenticeship is good/bad. :smile:

- As many have said already, most decent apprenticeships want you to have gone to college. Degree apprenticeships are gaining popularity and becoming a very good way to join a company.

- Not sure what industry you are interested in but I would say it would probably be best to go to college and decide from there.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending