Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is boron trichloride a Giant covalent or Simple molecular substance Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does BCl3 have a giant covalent structure or simple molecular structure since the element boron can form a giant covalent structure..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Simple.

BCl3 doesn't involve the element boron in its elemental state.

Compounds are different to their elements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Simple.

BCl3 doesn't involve the element boron in its elemental state.

Compounds are different to their elements.
    I don't get what the bit underlined means as boron is in the compound. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    I don't get what the bit underlined means as boron is in the compound. Thanks
    A compound containing an element often bares little resemblance to the pure element itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    A compound containing an element often bares little resemblance to the pure element itself.
    So how do I identify what structure compounds have? In my textbook, it states that element such as carbon, boron and silicon can form giant covalent lattice. But this doesn't apply to co2 and BF3 in this case? Or do I only need to know only diamond, graphite and graphene and SiO4 can ?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    So how do I identify what structure compounds have? In my textbook, it states that element such as carbon, boron and silicon can form giant covalent lattice. But this doesn't apply to co2 and BF3 in this case? Or do I only need to know only diamond, graphite and graphene and SiO4 can ?

Thanks
    SiO2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    SiO2
    That molecule I have learnt can also form giant covalent lattice, so I just need to memorise those because by following that rules doesn't really work...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.