The Student Room Group

Is boron trichloride a Giant covalent or Simple molecular substance

Does BCl3 have a giant covalent structure or simple molecular structure since the element boron can form a giant covalent structure..

Thanks
Reply 1
Simple.

BCl3 doesn't involve the element boron in its elemental state.

Compounds are different to their elements.
Reply 2
Original post by Pigster
Simple.

BCl3 doesn't involve the element boron in its elemental state.

Compounds are different to their elements.

I don't get what the bit underlined means as boron is in the compound. Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
I don't get what the bit underlined means as boron is in the compound. Thanks

A compound containing an element often bares little resemblance to the pure element itself.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
A compound containing an element often bares little resemblance to the pure element itself.

So how do I identify what structure compounds have? In my textbook, it states that element such as carbon, boron and silicon can form giant covalent lattice. But this doesn't apply to co2 and BF3 in this case? Or do I only need to know only diamond, graphite and graphene and SiO4 can ?

Thanks
Original post by coconut64
So how do I identify what structure compounds have? In my textbook, it states that element such as carbon, boron and silicon can form giant covalent lattice. But this doesn't apply to co2 and BF3 in this case? Or do I only need to know only diamond, graphite and graphene and SiO4 can ?

Thanks

SiO2
Reply 6
Original post by charco
SiO2

That molecule I have learnt can also form giant covalent lattice, so I just need to memorise those because by following that rules doesn't really work...
Reply 7
Mainly, only SiO2, diamond and graphite, and also quartz will form as a giant covalent structure, or if they are asking you to identify is it giant covalent structure, you can see the melting point or is it conduct electricity.thx

Quick Reply

Latest