The Student Room Group

A free house at the end of University?

Given the current housing crises, most graduates (especially those from traditional working class backgrounds) are having to rent, and won't be able to afford a house of their own for many years to come (Their mid 30s as an estimate). To solve this problem, and to incentivise study, should top universities offer graduates a newly built house in a new housing estate primarily for graduates? As an equivalent, ex-polys might not offer the house, but might offer an apartment in an apartment block also specifically for their graduates? This would be contingent upon a student getting say a 1st class degree (and possibly a 2:1). Graduate villages, where only graduates live. This would probably solve the housing crises.
Where would the money for this come from? Meanwhile, there are people out there on minimum wage who are struggling to find somewhere cheap enough to live.
Reply 2
this is hilarious ; a graduate village lmao
****ing hell. Most landlords won't rent to me because I'm disabled and can't work and you think the housing crisis is graduates having to rent and that we solve the problem by giving graduates free houses. For that to be affordable for unis I expect that in northern cities you'd have to pay like £40k+ tuition fees a year. And probably £100k+ in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending