The Student Room Group

Feel so upset as a British Asian

Currently facing imminent homelessness due to expulsion from a postgraduate course of a Scottish university and recently applied for council housing.

The council staff was lazy asking me to resend documents that I had sent twice. After receiving my two-year address proof that clearly showed successive local addresses pretending that I had not lived in the UK for the past two years.

Having felt so upset and cried last night. This is literally not the first instance of such events. Hate being assumed as an alien simply because of my surname and ethnicity.

I am a UK Citizen, didn't grow up in the UK but had stayed here, despite alone, for years. Sweat and tears all down to myself. I don't see how it is reasonable for me to be seen as less local than others. It appears folks would never accept you as part of your society if you aren't White with a(n) English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish surname.

Feeling so upset...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone having similar experience?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Anyone having similar experience?

Sorry you're having a hard time, but as far as I'm able to gather all UK citizens are treated like crap for council housing regardless of ethnicity.
Have you tried citizens advice?
Reply 3
Currently facing imminent homelessness due to expulsion from a postgraduate course of a Scottish university and recently applied for council housing.

The council staff was lazy asking me to resend documents that I had sent twice. After receiving my two-year address proof that clearly showed successive local addresses pretending that I had not lived in the UK for the past two years.

Having felt so upset and cried last night. This is literally not the first instance of such events. Hate being assumed as an alien simply because of my surname and ethnicity.

I am a UK Citizen, didn't grow up in the UK but had stayed here, despite alone, for years. Sweat and tears all down to myself. I don't see how it is reasonable for me to be seen as less local than others. It appears folks would never accept you as part of your society if you aren't White with a(n) English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish surname.

Feeling so upset...

What is happening to you is really unfair and in this day and age you would hope that this sort of racism wouldn't happen but unfortunately that's not the case. I'm white so I'm not going to pretend I know what you're going through. But I still wanted to say something so you hopefully feel a little less alone/unheard. The UK still has a lot of racism and anti-immigrant sentiment and unfortunately what has happened to you proves people are still facing discrimination in housing because of their race/ethnicity. I really hope something works out for you but in the meantime just wanted to wish you the best of luck for the future
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
Sorry you're having a hard time, but as far as I'm able to gather all UK citizens are treated like crap for council housing regardless of ethnicity.
Have you tried citizens advice?

It is difficult...
Reply 5
Original post by Miss Pulford
what is your housing need ?
what is your local link other than the University you have been expelled from ? ( and arguably made yourself intentionally homeless in the process )

I don't understand your questions. Are you asking in good faith?
Reply 6
Original post by Larina21
What is happening to you is really unfair and in this day and age you would hope that this sort of racism wouldn't happen but unfortunately that's not the case. I'm white so I'm not going to pretend I know what you're going through. But I still wanted to say something so you hopefully feel a little less alone/unheard. The UK still has a lot of racism and anti-immigrant sentiment and unfortunately what has happened to you proves people are still facing discrimination in housing because of their race/ethnicity. I really hope something works out for you but in the meantime just wanted to wish you the best of luck for the future

Yes, indeed. That council staff was ridiculous. While I appreciate that they have to follow the laws and make sure an applicant has the right to stay, the manner that council staff handled it simply didn't make sense. No way are those assumptions justifiable. They should've treated everyone as local as they are and paid more attention to correspondences.
I don't understand your questions. Are you asking in good faith?

If you can't answer those questions then you wonder why you are struggling to access Social housing as these are the main factors that determine eligibility

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/how_to_apply_for_council_housing

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_options/social_housing

to go on the housing register you need to demonstrate both need and often a local link to the area and having been a student there may not count
(edited 4 months ago)
Yes, indeed. That council staff was ridiculous. While I appreciate that they have to follow the laws and make sure an applicant has the right to stay, the manner that council staff handled it simply didn't make sense. No way are those assumptions justifiable. They should've treated everyone as local as they are and paid more attention to correspondences.

have you complained?
Reply 9
If you can't answer those questions then you wonder why you are struggling to access Social housing as these are the main factors that determine eligibility

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/how_to_apply_for_council_housing

to go on the housing register you need to demonstrate both need and often a local link to the area and having been a student there may not count

How do you know I can't ? You do not seem to be engaging in good faith but spreading some spurious assumptions about me
Reply 10
Original post by Kutie Karen
have you complained?

Not yet. Is it helpful?
Reply 11

"Things that cannot affect your priority
[start]Council and housing associations are not allowed to take these things into account when deciding your priority:[/start]

your income

how long you’ve lived in the area

your age, except for housing that’s specifically designed for people of a particular age"

Reply 12
Complaint lodged.
"Things that cannot affect your priority
[start]Council and housing associations are not allowed to take these things into account when deciding your priority:[/start]

your income

how long you’ve lived in the area

your age, except for housing that’s specifically designed for people of a particular age"

you appear to be confusing Priority assessment with establishment of a statutory duty to consider you for housing .

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/local_connection
Reply 14
she gave you the wrong links at first, that might be why you're confused. you're not applying for social housing; you are applying for homelessness

you're fine, mate. you're not sleeping on a park bench anytime soon. just work with the housing team, not against em. believe it or not they are on your side and want to help
Reply 15
you have a local connection cuz you've been living there for 2 years, right? you must have a UK passport since you say you're a citizen?

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/the_councils_assessment/local_connection
Reply 16
btw i assume your landlord has already given you your notice? 28 days is it?
Original post by Genesiss
btw i assume your landlord has already given you your notice? 28 days is it?

i suspect the OP ifthey are genuine in their story is a licencee rather than tenant , as most university accomodation agreements for students and for Subwardens etc are licences rather than tenancies ( might be different if they have staff housing but i'm unsure of anyone but Keele and perhaps some of the Agric colleges that have that)
Reply 18
Original post by Genesiss
she gave you the wrong links at first, that might be why you're confused. you're not applying for social housing; you are applying for homelessness

you're fine, mate. you're not sleeping on a park bench anytime soon. just work with the housing team, not against em. believe it or not they are on your side and want to help

The instance that happened was the application for being included in council Housing Register.
Reply 19
Even born and bred English/Scottish people really struggle to get council housing. I know from my own personal experience it seems the council only hire people to work in the housing department who are as obstructive as possible. I would advise getting advice from Shelter in the first instance. They can tell you your next best steps.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending