The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ASNaC
In my experience state schools students at Cambridge are neither stronger nor weaker than their public school counterparts.

I'd say that the typical state school student with AAA has greater potential to do well at university than the typical private school student with AAA.
ASNaC
Not necessarily. Colleges which have reputations for accepting lots of independent school students normally take more than other colleges, but this is primarily because students at such schools are advised to apply for such colleges.

In my experience state schools students at Cambridge are neither stronger nor weaker than their public school counterparts.

I see, but they could not take 95% state and 5% privately educated really good they? Meaning they do have quotas to an extent? I see what you are saying though.

I wasn't saying they were better than those, but well, they all seem to have like 5 ancient languages then 5 modern languages, with loads of extra curricular shit, 10 million A*s, fantastic education from early ages... would they pick them all if they could?
happysunshine
I wasn't saying they were better than those, but well, they all seem to have like 5 ancient languages then 5 modern languages, with loads of extra curricular shit, 10 million A*s, fantastic education from early ages... would they pick them all if they could?

Just because they've had the opportunity to do extracurriculars such as skiing, debating, rowing, learning Greek or Latin, learning an instrument etc which people from poorer schools might not have had the opportunity to do, it doesn't mean that they're better; it doesn't mean they have a greater potential to do well at university.
Jools
No. The private:state ratio for applications and acceptances is similar, with at most a ~10% variation at some colleges. Even if there were too many good private school applicants there would be an unofficial, implicit knowing from tutors to favour state schoolers a bit (or vice versa), but never to have a set-in-stone fixed quota where they can't accommodate a good applicant.

Whether it's to address an imbalance regarding private/state, class, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, and whether it's at a university or in the workplace, quotas really are not the solution. If certain groups are under-represented then target your advertising at them, make it clear that you're encouraging applicants from that background to apply, but don't make it so that you're fixing proportions so that a poorer, less able applicant from xx background is favoured over a better candidate from yy.

OK, I see, as I said on another post they do sort of have quotas if they have to "favour state schoolers a bit", although as you said they aren't set- in-stone. :smile:
Jools
Just because they've had the opportunity to do extracurriculars such as skiing, debating, rowing, learning Greek or Latin, learning an instrument etc which people from poorer schools might not have had the opportunity to do, it doesn't mean that they're better; it doesn't mean they have a greater potential to do well at university.

No definitely not, I'm just interested if they could, would they?
happysunshine
I see, but they could not take 95% state and 5% privately educated really good they? Meaning they do have quotas to an extent? I see what you are saying though.

A quota is a fixed number, a fixed percentage. Whilst tutors may know they have to redress the balance a bit, which is fair enough, they'd not be told "Of the 11 candidates you accept, at least 7 must be from state school".
Reply 26
happysunshine
OK, I see, as I said on another post they do sort of have quotas if they have to "favour state schoolers a bit", although as you said they aren't set- in-stone. :smile:

How can you sort of have a quota? :confused:

Edit: Jools dealt with this better than I did. Ignore this...
Reply 27
happysunshine

No I don't think they would - they know better than to judge people by that alone. There are plently of people who have only one or two A*s who go on to get firsts (a good friend of mine is a prime example). I think I can honestly say Trinity College has a reputation for having no 'hidden bias' against public school applicants (they end up getting a higher proportion than most colleges because of this), yet they still accept 45-50 % state school students. They take those who they feel have the best potential, and generally ascertained at interview.
RxB
How can you sort of have a quota? :confused:

Edit: Jools dealt with this better than I did. Ignore this...

Well, whatever, not a fixed one, but some sort of boundary.
Reply 29
The only real quotas I have ever heard about is that there were overseas student (i.e. non-EU) quotas (this was mentioned in my letter of acceptance), but as of this year I believe that almost all colleges have done away with these
Reply 30
Toni Mag
Hi,
I went to a private school - not a very good one - because I won a scholarship and I needed to board for (serious) family (medical) reasons. I got all A* at GCSE and AAAAA at A-level last year. I applied to Cambridge, LSE, Durham, etc and got none!
The Cambridge admissions people were very nice. I was told, almost one year later when the admission tutor visited the hospital I work in, that I had done well at interview, but their quota for private schools was "over-filled". Can this be fair? My total family income is less than £35k p.a. and we struggle to keep me in private education. My folks haven't had a hol in 5 years, don't drink or smoke, and we have sold our car to reduce our weekly spend.
Please can we have some fair recognition that not all private school students are useless toffs. Why do we not have anonymous, needs-blind admissions?

I have applied again this year; here's hoping. :confused:

toni

This post is evidently false. Of course, most of it sounds extremely dodgy and unlikely, but in the last sentence there is a clear non-truth. "I have applied again this year, here's hoping". UCAS does not accept applications before September 1st, making this impossible. Combined with the unlikelihood of the rest of this post, I think it is best to ignore it entirely; in fact, I think a mod should really delete it, lest it deter potential applicants who may well have already heard rumours of quotas, be they according to schooling, sex, or another facet of one's background.
ASNaC
No I don't think they would - they know better than to judge people by that alone. There are plently of people who have only one or two A*s who go on to get firsts (a good friend of mine is a prime example). I think I can honestly say Trinity College has a reputation for having no 'hidden bias' against public school applicants (they end up getting a higher proportion than most colleges because of this), yet they still accept 45-50 % state school students. They take those who they feel have the best potential, and generally ascertained at interview.

I couldn't agree more. :biggrin:

Hope I haven't sounded anti-state-school, I mean I'm one myself, it's just my proper point to make it clear is that "they have to accept a blanced number of students really, are they taking worse people in, and turning good people away", but that was the whole thread discussion? I should shut up, I'm way too tired. :tongue:
Reply 32
Though the government does have guidelines for universities to get them to take more State Schoolers
Lord Huntroyde
Though the government does have guidelines for universities to get them to take more State Schoolers

Exactly - I wonder what would happen if you didn't have to put your school type down?
Invisible

That's my piece. :smile:

Yes, that makes a lot more sense! :smile:
Lord Huntroyde

The guidelines achieve nothing. Once a year Oxbridge, St Andrews, Exeter etc will get a bit of criticism for being 15+% these "benchmarks". Oxford being 69% state school? It's not going to happen...
Reply 36
Toni Mag
Hi,
I went to a private school - not a very good one - because I won a scholarship and I needed to board for (serious) family (medical) reasons. I got all A* at GCSE and AAAAA at A-level last year. I applied to Cambridge, LSE, Durham, etc and got none!
The Cambridge admissions people were very nice. I was told, almost one year later when the admission tutor visited the hospital I work in, that I had done well at interview, but their quota for private schools was "over-filled". Can this be fair? My total family income is less than £35k p.a. and we struggle to keep me in private education. My folks haven't had a hol in 5 years, don't drink or smoke, and we have sold our car to reduce our weekly spend.
Please can we have some fair recognition that not all private school students are useless toffs. Why do we not have anonymous, needs-blind admissions?

I have applied again this year; here's hoping. :confused:

toni

Like H&E, I'm not entirely convinced this is totally true, however..

To use myself as a comparison - you went to a private school, got straight As at GCSE and straight As at A-level. I went to a small rural state school, and got straight grade 1s at Standard Grade, AAAAA at Higher, and AAA at Advanced Higher- where in two of my three subjects I was not taught atall. We are both good candidates, but as an admissions tutor who would you pick?
Reply 37
Lord Huntroyde

Yes, but from what i've read most of the top unis are sticking two fingers up at the government.
calumc
To use myself as a comparison - you went to a private school, got straight As at GCSE and straight As at A-level. I went to a small rural state school, and got straight grade 1s at Standard Grade, AAAAA at Higher, and AAA at Advanced Higher- where in two of my three subjects I was not taught atall. We are both good candidates, but as an admissions tutor who would you pick?

The fit one.
Reply 39
calumc
Like H&E, I'm not entirely convinced this is totally true, however..

Whoever did best in the interview, you can't get more than an A so you can't say that an A from someone who has had little teaching is better than someone with an A from a better school because an A grade contains a wide range of results.
Furthurmore, many subjects now have aptitude tests which will be another discrimanting factor when choosing students.

Latest

Trending

Trending