The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge acceptance for Maths

Is oxford or cambridge better at accepting state school applications rather than private schools and which university is better for maths?
Original post by TheAceRaichu
Is oxford or cambridge better at accepting state school applications rather than private schools and which university is better for maths?

according to my research, both schools are equally as good due to the fact that they want to not show unfair bias towards students based off their form of education, however Cambridge is a better university for mathematics, whereas oxford excels in their humanities.
Reply 2

I am guessing that you're year 12 (or younger) as the current year 13 admissions round has just completed. If so, I think the best thing would be to visit each university on open days if that is possible - getting a feel for the cities and the two departments would be best. Other than that, for the straight maths degree, there is much more alike than there is different. The Cambridge course has a slightly more applied feel (marginally) and if you're interested in joint degrees (with philosophy, statistics, or computer science) then Oxford has options there. They both offer routes into theoretical physics, but in very different ways. The biggest difference is really in the application process. Happy to answer further questions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Cambridge is a tiny bit more prestigious for maths but the difference is so tiny that it would never actually matter, you should pick which ever one you like more based on other factors such as course structure
Reply 4

Both schools are good at accepting state school applications and actively discriminate against those who go to private schools. You should pick your uni based on which one seems nicer to you, I think Cambridge is better known for their maths, but Im applying for natural sciences so im not 100% sure

Quick Reply

Latest