The Student Room Group

Films you hope are never remade

Hollywood seem to be remaking more of the old classic movies every year and while some are well received, most of the time they don't come anywhere near as good or as thrilling as the original.

The 2 worst remakes I've seen are The Wicker Man (2006) and House on Haunted Hill (1999). The originals of these films were fantastic and two of some of the best films I've ever seen.

A film I hope is never remade is The Exorcist. The film has had a few sequels and spin offs but there hasn't been a true remake of the original but I wont be surprised if it were to be remade in the next 5/10 years. To me, that film is a classic and should be left alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say :yep:

Can you think of any well done remakes or even any that were better than the original?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If they ever remake the green mile i dont know what i will do
Reply 2
Original post by Casisalive
If they ever remake the green mile i dont know what i will do

100% agree with you! That is definitely a film that never should be remade
Reply 3
The Abominable Dr Phibes would be another one for me. No one could play him like Vincent Price.
A Clockwork Orange.
There were talks going on for years trying to get an American remake of Battle Royale off the ground. However between The Hunger Games beating them to the screens while already being a massive BR ripoff and largely indicative of how uninspired an American BR remake would be, and the fact that Americans can watch their school kids gunning each other down on a TV show called "the news" every couple of months already, plans to remake it have been shelved.

The sequel was bad enough to BR's legacy, we don't need the Americans whitewashing it to tarnish it even further.
Citizen Kane.

Obviously.
I quite enjoyed House on Haunted Hill :h: They're remaking Scarface atm, why even...
Reply 8
Original post by WoodyMKC
I quite enjoyed House on Haunted Hill :h: They're remaking Scarface atm, why even...

Have you seen the original House on Haunted Hill? Its so much better :tongue:

Seriously?! :eek: no one could be better than Al Pacino as Tony! Scarface is a brilliant movie and certainly doesn't need a remake imo. Although, wasn't the one we all know and love a remake from one from the 30s?
Original post by Spock's Socks

Seriously?! :eek: no one could be better than Al Pacino as Tony! Scarface is a brilliant movie and certainly doesn't need a remake imo. Although, wasn't the one we all know and love a remake from one from the 30s?

It was yeah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarface_(1932_film)

[video="youtube;oClFiO7LMkc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oClFiO7LMkc[/video]

Yeah I've seen them both, I like them both for different reasons really. The thing I like about really old films is just how creepy and eerie they feel, you can't replicate that. I like the remake though just cause I'm quite a fan of the typical teen-horrors that were so popular in the last 90s/early 00s and the remake is pretty much one of those.

Indeed it was, one of the rare occasions where the original was mediocre and the remake somehow took an average idea and made it into an instant classic :h: We don't need a remake of the 1983 one though, it can't be improved and the whole 80s vibe makes it what it is, no need to modernise it.
Kindergarten Cop
Original post by the bear
Kindergarten Cop

Remaking an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie... it's the ultimate sin.
Fight Club
Forrest Gump
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future. I don't think I'd want to see a 2020s Marty McFly go back to the 1990s.
Ghostbusters.

Oh, wait.
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
Back to the Future. I don't think I'd want to see a 2020s Marty McFly go back to the 1990s.

Oh God I agree :tongue: Leave it alone, it's a classic :tongue:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Yeah I've seen them both, I like them both for different reasons really. The thing I like about really old films is just how creepy and eerie they feel, you can't replicate that. I like the remake though just cause I'm quite a fan of the typical teen-horrors that were so popular in the last 90s/early 00s and the remake is pretty much one of those.

Indeed it was, one of the rare occasions where the original was mediocre and the remake somehow took an average idea and made it into an instant classic :h: We don't need a remake of the 1983 one though, it can't be improved and the whole 80s vibe makes it what it is, no need to modernise it.

I know what you mean there and I agree. I find the atmosphere of old films like that so much more scary actually :tongue:

Also I agree with your Scarface point. I was talking about this with a friend last week actually. Cocaine was big back then and that whole bright, sleazy, slightly tacky 80s Miami vibe suits that film.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hollywood seem to be remaking more of the old classic movies every year and while some are well received, most of the time they don't come anywhere near as good or as thrilling as the original.

The 2 worst remakes I've seen are The Wicker Man (2006) and House on Haunted Hill (1999). The originals of these films were fantastic and two of some of the best films I've ever seen.

A film I hope is never remade is The Exorcist. The film has had a few sequels and spin offs but there hasn't been a true remake of the original but I wont be surprised if it were to be remade in the next 5/10 years. To me, that film is a classic and should be left alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say :yep:

Can you think of any well done remakes or even any that were better than the original?

Damn I can't believe that film was remade... I haven't seen the original but I am aware it is a classic and it just shouldn't have been touched... I would like to watch the original one day. I find the old atmosphere of these sorts of films so freaky XD

Ooh have you ever seen this? :smile:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Look_Now
LOTR

Was already pissed off about the Batman trilogy.

Quick Reply

Latest