The Student Room Group

What do I do about controlling parents that won't let me do anything?

hi, I'm nineteen and still feel like I'm being controlled by my parents. I still have to ask them to go anywhere by myself, even the shop down the road. They insist on cooking dinners for me even though I am VERY MUCH competent. I think they are part of the reason I am finding it difficult to make friends because they are strict about letting me out by myself. It's more my mum than my dad, but they're both quite controlling. Personally I'm very street-wise, when I do go out to London (we live very nearby) or anywhere I never get into trouble and it always goes smoothly, I have never got lost or stuck or anything like that. Lately I've found this film I want to go and see in London (it's a one night only thing, don't know anyone else that wants to come so I'm going to go by myself) but I know they are going to be really strict and not let me go as its in the evening. I still feel like a young child even though I'm almost twenty. Hopefully I can gain some real independence when I go off to uni next year (if they let me!!). Does anyone else still feel like their parents rule their lives? And any advice on how to ask my parents to go and see the film is very much appreciated!!! 😭
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hi, I'm nineteen and still feel like I'm being controlled by my parents. I still have to ask them to go anywhere by myself, even the shop down the road. They insist on cooking dinners for me even though I am VERY MUCH competent. I think they are part of the reason I am finding it difficult to make friends because they are strict about letting me out by myself. It's more my mum than my dad, but they're both quite controlling. Personally I'm very street-wise, when I do go out to London (we live very nearby) or anywhere I never get into trouble and it always goes smoothly, I have never got lost or stuck or anything like that. Lately I've found this film I want to go and see in London (it's a one night only thing, don't know anyone else that wants to come so I'm going to go by myself) but I know they are going to be really strict and not let me go as its in the evening. I still feel like a young child even though I'm almost twenty. Hopefully I can gain some real independence when I go off to uni next year (if they let me!!). Does anyone else still feel like their parents rule their lives? And any advice on how to ask my parents to go and see the film is very much appreciated!!! 😭

Kill Them.
Reply 2
Kill Them.

lol, they'd come back to life and kill me
Reply 3
lol, they'd come back to life and kill me

Their power is impressive, respect them
Hello are u still around? I'm really sorry but it is impossible to change thema s these parents r super stubborn and will never change. If u have problems making friends and ur not allowed to make them at all make an imaginary escape, make some imaginary friends to talk to who are positive and always encouraging, who praise you for the good you do and comfort you when you vent to them,make sure they are around u when u feel terrible and also have an authority figure like another mum but way nicer who encourage you to do you dreams, who's caring and gives you advice. Try ur best to make urself have as much positive emotions as possible, as u deserve them, make sure your imaginary world is engaging and says a lot about your personality, make it creative and detailed. This is only temporary but this will lighten the burden of hurt and trappedness they make u feel. Also if there's any wiggle room through obeying them hopefully u will get small amounts of independence. In ur imaginary world try to imagine what ur going to do so u can out it in a plan to what ur going to do in the future. I really hope this helps you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending