The Student Room Group

Blacksmithing and Swordsmithing

A bit of an abrupt career change . . .

but, despite the fact that I am off to do Philosophy at university, I have an increasingly desperate desire to learn the art of bladesmithing. Clearly, I am going to spend a lot of time learning and be in a lot of debt at the end.

So far, people I have spoken to have offered two three routes; teach yourself, become an apprentice or go on a blacksmithing course and then (somehow) specialize.

So, does anyone here have any ideas? Anyone done a blacksmithing apprenticeship? Can anyone recommend some decent books that deal with the basics of metal working? Has anyone done a blacksmithing course at art school, or college?
Reply 1
Schmokie Dragon
A bit of an abrupt career change . . .

but, despite the fact that I am off to do Philosophy at university, I have an increasingly desperate desire to learn the art of bladesmithing. Clearly, I am going to spend a lot of time learning and be in a lot of debt at the end.

So far, people I have spoken to have offered two three routes; teach yourself, become an apprentice or go on a blacksmithing course and then (somehow) specialize.

So, does anyone here have any ideas? Anyone done a blacksmithing apprenticeship? Can anyone recommend some decent books that deal with the basics of metal working? Has anyone done a blacksmithing course at art school, or college?

I must admit I'm stumped on this one. I would imagine there is a trade association for the UK or the British Isles. That might be the best place to start as they will probably have a directory of organisations. Might be able to get people who have qualified give you some advice.

The only other thing I can think of is, there are lots of movies set in the past, all of which use swords. There must be an armourer or armoury supply place for the authentic looking stuff. Contacting these people.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Joe Mc
I must admit I'm stumped on this one. I would imagine there is a trade association for the UK or the British Isles. That might be the best place to start as they will probably have a directory of organisations. Might be able to get people who have qualified give you some advice.

The only other thing I can think of is, there are lots of movies set in the past, all of which use swords. There must be an armourer or armoury supply place for the authentic looking stuff. Contacting these people.

Good luck.

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile72/
ta! =D
Reply 4
Original post by Schmokie Dragon
ta! =D

So did you ever succeed in becoming a Bladesmith/Metalsmith?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending