The Student Room Group

Welsh teacher denied entry to US on school trip - Muslim ban?

A British citizen Welsh schoolteacher who was going with his students on a school trip to the US was prevented from boarding the connecting flight in Reykjavik. He is not a citizen of any of the seven banned countries. He is indeed of Muslim background, but otherwise there seems to be no obvious reason why he should be denied entry.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/21/british-muslim-teacher-taken-off-us-bound-flight-i-was-treated-like-a-criminal

I don't want to jump to conclusions as in past cases the Guardian has claimed (long before the "Muslim ban" ) that a Muslim person was denied entry to the US purely because they are Muslim, and later information came out that they had said extremist things on social media (or that the American authorities had reasonable basis to believe they did).

Having said that, my instinct in this case is that religious discrimination did indeed play a role. Also, not entirely relevant but... feck he is dreamy. What a hottie, what lovely eyes and an adorable countenance he has; he seems so sad and disappointed in the video when he talks about when they took him off :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Its started...
Reply 2
Original post by AlexanderHam

Also, not entirely relevant but... feck he is dreamy. What a hottie, what lovely eyes and an adorable countenance he has; he seems so sad and disappointed in the video when he talks about when they took him off :frown:

I wasn't going to open the link but when I read this part, I had to open it. :colondollar:

Putting that aside, the fact that he's so upset about this and is trying to find another reason for this, and not him being a Muslim. :frown:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Trump wouldn't give up that easily....

Not entirely clear what you mean. Are you claiming that despite the court order suspending enforcement of the ban the Trump administration has told the US border enforcement to target Muslims anyway?
Original post by Saba XD
I wasn't going to open the link but when I read this part, I had to open it. :colondollar:

He's completely adorable, isn't he? I feel so bad for him, he seems like a genuine nice guy. Just want to give him a hug

Putting that aside, the fact that he's so upset about this and is trying to find another reason for this, and not him being a Muslim. :frown:

I found it very much to his credit that he simply stated the facts and how he felt about it. He didn't immediately press on the "It's because I'm Muslim, isn't it?" thread (which it might well be), but simply stated what happened and the effect it had on him. He seems very dignified in what must have been very upsetting. Thank goodness his employer is standing by him
Reply 6
Original post by AlexanderHam
He's completely adorable, isn't he? I feel so bad for him, he seems like a genuine nice guy. Just want to give him a hug

I found it very much to his credit that he simply stated the facts and how he felt about it. He didn't immediately press on the "It's because I'm Muslim, isn't it?" thread (which it might well be), but simply stated what happened and the effect it had on him. He seems very dignified in what must have been very upsetting. Thank goodness his employer is standing by him

He's innocent looking too. Like, his eyes tell how he feels. He doesn't feel angry (like most people would) like when Adam Saleh was put off the flight, he made a very big deal out of it (even though he was at fault for being awfully loud on board). I feel for this guy, and being a muslim myself, I also hope that there is another reason and not just his religion or name. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending