The Student Room Group

This is sooo complicated !!!

The points A and B have coordinates (2, 5) and (16, 12) respectively. The point D with coordinates (8,8) lies on AB.
(a) Find, in the form p: q, the ratio in which D divides AB internally.
The line l passes through D and is perpendicular to AB.
(b) Find an equation of l
The point E with coordinates (e, 6) lies on l.
(c) Find the value of e
The line ED is produced to F so that ED = FD
(d) Find the coordinates of F
(e) Find the area of the kite AEBF

NO CLUE on how to do this HELP!!
draw it out. it makes it really easy
Do you know the distance formula? It's basically a squared plus b squared equals c squared, but subtracting the x and y values of points from each other to get a and b, as applicable. You can use that a couple of times to get the lengths AD and DB, which you can then use to find the ratio in which D divides AB.

Given the points A and B, you should be able to figure out the slope of the line AB just by doing change in y/change in x. Divide -1 by AB's slope and you get the slope of the perpendicular line I. Then plug in that slope and the coordinates of D into the line equation y=mx+b to find b, and then you've got the equation of I.

For (c), you've got the equation of I, so you can plug in y=6 to get the corresponding x value, which is e.

For (d), you can probably do something kinda tricky with the distance formula - for this part you already know the distance and you're after the point on the other end.

I'm not really sure how you'd go about e, but it'd probably help if you drew it, like the other guy said.

Quick Reply