The Student Room Group

should I be specific when mentioning books

So I am applying for engineering and have read some book, however these books are pretty complex and I may not have fully grasp the concepts. I fear if I mention and explain what I have learnt it may not be fully correct.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by ghqx
So I am applying for engineering and have read some book, however these books are pretty complex and I may not have fully grasp the concepts. I fear if I mention and explain what I have learnt it may not be fully correct.

When you mention books, reflect on what you learnt. Just choose one topic as an example within the book, and explain how that enhanced your passion for engineering (what you learnt, what did you enjoy about it). Acknowledging the complexity is already a reflection due to it is challenging to understand - how did you approach complex topics? What do you do to further your understanding? It is a learning process - and making mistakes is a part of it (a very important part), as it reinforces your knowledge.

Learning is a continuous process. You are reading challenging books, universities wont expect you to understand such complicated concepts. Learning is continuous - the more you learn, the more complicated it gets. I believe it is important to reflect - although now you don't fully understand, what will you do in the future to further your understanding? Personally, I feel that mentioning that you dont fully understand the complicated topics is important.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by ghqx

Also, post this under personal statement, not books, after all you are after personal statement advice.
@artful_lounger saw you were online
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by ghqx

Some good advice above, also remember with academic texts you aren't necessarily expected to have read the whole text (unlike literary ones, although there are exceptions there too e.g. with epic texts). Just discuss specifically the parts you have read in the context of your interests and what else you have done. One of the texts I referenced in my PS I hadn't read entirely (as it's certainly not light reading!) but I just discussed what I had read (and didn't try and make it seem as though I had read more than I had!).

Academic texts are usually not designed to be read front to back like a novel anyway, and I'm pretty sure most academics don't read them like that!
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending