The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

currently taking a break from ramadhan prep (just made 57 pies in an hour). my question for everyone is what are you guys prepping (foodwise) for ramadan and what do you usually eat for closing and opening fasts?
Original post by quasa
currently taking a break from ramadhan prep (just made 57 pies in an hour). my question for everyone is what are you guys prepping (foodwise) for ramadan and what do you usually eat for closing and opening fasts?

Hi I just found this group and I see there is no recent activity going on now. I mean it's ramadan so lets talk about foods were having for iftar, but I think people are not posting anymore because food is a bit tempting for them but let's keep this group going shall we?😊
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Anyone else get asked "what happens if you eat gelatine/pork?" Like what do you expect to happen :rofl:

apparently you expand massively(yeah i was going to say you blow up but them i realised thats not a good thing to say in this context) you expand like that girl from willy wonka you know that fat one
Original post by hassankhan1738
apparently you expand massively(yeah i was going to say you blow up but them i realised thats not a good thing to say in this context) you expand like that girl from willy wonka you know that fat one

I actually did tell my friend that I blew up once and let's just say he never offered me food while fasting again
Original post by Hijabi Bengali
Hi I just found this group and I see there is no recent activity going on now. I mean it's ramadan so lets talk about foods were having for iftar, but I think people are not posting anymore because food is a bit tempting for them but let's keep this group going shall we?😊

I was thinking that :lol: I'm personally bot fussed about food during Ramadan but ill admit iv been neglecting tsr due to a lot of anti-Islamic sentiments that have arisen due to the actions of a bunch of deplorable things. What is annoying is that I found out about the most recent incident after taraweh salat and swore...in front of an old man I was giving a lift to (who doesn't speak English hat well and am worried I may have offended him even though it was aimed at said things).
Original post by quasa
I was thinking that :lol: I'm personally bot fussed about food during Ramadan but ill admit iv been neglecting tsr due to a lot of anti-Islamic sentiments that have arisen due to the actions of a bunch of deplorable things. What is annoying is that I found out about the most recent incident after taraweh salat and swore...in front of an old man I was giving a lift to (who doesn't speak English hat well and am worried I may have offended him even though it was aimed at said things).

Oh gosh well Im struggling to move my legs seriously I'm in such pain tauba doesn't taraweeh make yor legs ache a bit?
Original post by quasa

Awww it's a shame you neglected tsr I mean this group was so good also I might go off for good too alot of these people on TSR aren't very nice I tell you I've only just recently came on because I just found it.
Oh gosh well Im struggling to move my legs seriously I'm in such pain tauba doesn't taraweeh make yor legs ache a bit?

I've had fibromyalgia since I was 4, I currently am nursing some shoulder, neck and back injuries and I have to stand for up to 16 hours a day without break when I locum as a pharmacist, so not really compared to what I usually experience
Awww it's a shame you neglected tsr I mean this group was so good also I might go off for good too alot of these people on TSR aren't very nice I tell you I've only just recently came on because I just found it.

Tbh that's partly why im neglecting. I also have other things I am prioritising atm irl so that takes presidence to this (although the irony is that I prefer talking to people here vs irl contacts on social media as there are mor people with interests similar o my own
Original post by quasa
Tbh that's partly why im neglecting. I also have other things I am prioritising atm irl so that takes presidence to this (although the irony is that I prefer talking to people here vs irl contacts on social media as there are mor people with interests similar o my own

And I'm also sick of people calling me a troll and I don't get it what is with this troll thing?
[video="youtube;qJ-Q2h513nw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ-Q2h513nw[/video]

You all need to try this. Its the best tasting thing when you break your fast.
I have a business meeting at a sourdough cafe in London this week. Is sourdough haram as it involves alcohol in the baking process :holmes:.

In anycase they have cakes there so ill be sure to be bring back some halal samples (hopefully it isnt crap)

EDIT: I am fasting that day so I wont be eating food or drinking anything there
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by quasa
I have a business meeting at a sourdough cafe in London this week. Is sourdough haram as it involves alcohol in the baking process :holmes:.

In anycase they have cakes there so ill be sure to be bring back some halal samples (hopefully it isnt crap)

Sourdough is made from fermented dough so a small % of alcohol is formed in the process, however it evaporates when it is baked. Thats what we were taught at college.
It tastes kind of weird tbh.
Original post by BintM
Sourdough is made from fermented dough so a small % of alcohol is formed in the process, however it evaporates when it is baked. Thats what we were taught at college.
It tastes kind of weird tbh.

Ive noticed a lot of artisan pizza places / fancy restaurants have sourdough pizzas. I personally wouldnt mind learning how to bake bread as you cant trust the stuff from the shops tbh.

I do however know how to make mandazi (otherwise known as mahambri ), which is african dooughnuts.

also I know how to make cakes, brownies, shortcrust pastry from scratch, pies, spring rolls etc
Original post by quasa
Ive noticed a lot of artisan pizza places / fancy restaurants have sourdough pizzas. I personally wouldnt mind learning how to bake bread as you cant trust the stuff from the shops tbh.

I do however know how to make mandazi (otherwise known as mahambri ), which is african dooughnuts.

also I know how to make cakes, brownies, shortcrust pastry from scratch, pies, spring rolls etc

I have like a million and one bread recipes from college, if you want any just let me know. I think i also have the recipe for the sourdough starter. But it stinks lol

Do they taste like normal doughnuts?

I want to make churros next maybe idk

Thats cool :yy:
Original post by BintM
I have like a million and one bread recipes from college, if you want any just let me know. I think i also have the recipe for the sourdough starter. But it stinks lol

Do they taste like normal doughnuts?

I want to make churros next maybe idk

Thats cool :yy:

yes please:smile:

kinda but you can flavour the dough how you want. zanzibaari mandazi for example is flavoured with aniseed so thats the recipe I know, but you have different variations all over east africa.

churros id love to make as well
Original post by quasa
yes please:smile:

kinda but you can flavour the dough how you want. zanzibaari mandazi for example is flavoured with aniseed so thats the recipe I know, but you have different variations all over east africa.

churros id love to make as well

What do you want the recipe of? Like what kind of bread?
I'll have to find it first lol

Thats interesting, I tried paul hollywoods doughnuts, i over proved them and they were massive and weird textured :colonhash:

[video="youtube;C_2FZ16inNM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_2FZ16inNM&t=25s[/video]

She has some of the best recipes ^

Can't wait for eid to make loads of stuff :biggrin: And for exams to be over first lol
Shakeshack chicken is halal now, but apparently it tastes nasty? Anyone had it yet?
Original post by The Fat Penguin
Shakeshack chicken is halal now, but apparently it tastes nasty? Anyone had it yet?

whats shakeshack lol
Original post by BintM
whats shakeshack lol

It's like a five guys or in-n-out burger chain!

It's really nice imo.. had it in Dubai, but only the Beef burger and Cheesy fries:tongue:

Latest