The Student Room Group

GCSE's and Medicine

Hey everyone,

I've been looking on the internet for ages now to find out what grades in my GCSE's I'm going to have to do get to have a chance of getting into med school. I'm predicted A's in most of my subjects including Triple Science but I'm not sure if this is going to happen.

I was just hoping if I could get any advice from previous or current med students on what GCSE's allowed them to get where they are. I'd be so grateful to get any advice from anyone!!

Thank you x
Original post by Emily O'Hagan
Hey everyone,

I've been looking on the internet for ages now to find out what grades in my GCSE's I'm going to have to do get to have a chance of getting into med school. I'm predicted A's in most of my subjects including Triple Science but I'm not sure if this is going to happen.

I was just hoping if I could get any advice from previous or current med students on what GCSE's allowed them to get where they are. I'd be so grateful to get any advice from anyone!!

Thank you x

It completely depends on where you apply, some places require 7/8/9 A*s, some don't care beyond getting a B in Maths, English and Sciences.

Aim for as high as you can, as that will give you more choice of uni's to apply to.
I want to be a doctor too, I think. Medicine is really competitive and to make you a better candidate, you would need to get mostly top grades. The higher the grades, the better the advantage. Some universities have requirements for medicine, others do not specify. Regardless the higher the better.
Original post by Emily O'Hagan
Hey everyone,

Thank you x

It depends entirely on where you want to go.
I know someone who got 7A*s and 2As and didn't get into oxford. I also know someone who got 1A*, 5As and 5Bs and got into HYMS. Just try your hardest now, better grades will open more doors for you. The worst thing to do is find out how many As you need and aim for a specific number of A/A* grades.

Quick Reply

Latest