The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Ask a Greenwich Student/Rep Thread - AMA

The Recruitment Team at the University of Greenwich are here to answer any queries, issues and questions you might have relating to the university. This can be anything from applications, accommodation, course information and student life on our 3 campuses - from London to the South East of England.

We have a diverse team who can answer queries relating to UK, EU and International applications, as well as across our 4 faculties. If we cannot answer it ourselves, we will find someone who can!

Our main reps are Yvette :banana:, Alberto :hello:, Katie :rave: and Sarah :bunny:, and we would love to hear your queries about the University of Greenwich!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi i have an interview for PGCE Secondary biology and on the guidance sheet it says i will be asked to fill in a subject knowledge audit, I'm confused as to whether this will be related to degree level biology or maths and english in general?

Thank you!
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Original post by sahdiya
Hi i have an interview for PGCE Secondary biology and on the guidance sheet it says i will be asked to fill in a subject knowledge audit, I'm confused as to whether this will be related to degree level biology or maths and english in general?

Thank you!

Hello sahdiya!

Congratulations on being offered an interview! I have just contacted the department for you to clarify about the audit. This is a self audit where you discuss your strengths and potential developments relating to Science at KS3 in general, but with a focus on biology. You would need to cover chemistry and physics in your assessment as well, even though you will be teaching with a biology focus.

It doesn't need to be too in depth, so just cover whatever you think is necessary beyond the basics.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us (you can see contact details on our page) :smile:

Sarah :bunny:
Hiya,

I have received a conditional offer to study Law in September which I am very happy about. However, my college has gone into special measures and I have had many educational difficulties. For example, I haven't had a stable History teacher for nine months now and I am currently on my fifth Psychology teacher and have been told (a month before my exams begin) that we haven't been taught half of the spec. I am very frightened about results day as I know this instability could massively impact my grades. I am doing my best to self-study but it is incredibly difficult when I am not being told what I need to study.

Therefore, I was wondering if this would be considered exceptional circumstances. What are the lowest grades Greenwich's Law School will accept and would my situation be taken into consideration if I didn't achieve the required grades?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by beccarubikcube
Hiya,

I have received a conditional offer to study Law in September which I am very happy about. However, my college has gone into special measures and I have had many educational difficulties. For example, I haven't had a stable History teacher for nine months now and I am currently on my fifth Psychology teacher and have been told (a month before my exams begin) that we haven't been taught half of the spec. I am very frightened about results day as I know this instability could massively impact my grades. I am doing my best to self-study but it is incredibly difficult when I am not being told what I need to study.

Therefore, I was wondering if this would be considered exceptional circumstances. What are the lowest grades Greenwich's Law School will accept and would my situation be taken into consideration if I didn't achieve the required grades?

Hello,

We understand that this may be very frustrating and worrying for you, try to not let it get you down and keep working hard and you will do well

If you are really concerned you can contact [email protected] with detailed information and your applicant details which will be considered by the faculty. If possible please can you also include a contact from your college. All results are considered on an individual basis.

Keep your spirits up and speak to your college about your concerns to see how they can support you.

Good luck and we hope to see you in September

Katie
Reply 5
Hello! I'm an international student and I've received an unconditional offer for the BSc Hons Biomedical Science program.
Since I'll be moving away 6700km from home, I'm on tenterhooks. Could anybody please be blatantly honest and tell me about the faculty, residence halls, campus life (not nightlife particularly, but general atmosphere) and proximity to essential shops (for clothing and food, say)? I'm not looking for coated answers, just your opinion. Thank you!! Hoping to see you there in September.
Original post by nara07
Hello! I'm an international student and I've received an unconditional offer for the BSc Hons Biomedical Science program.
Since I'll be moving away 6700km from home, I'm on tenterhooks. Could anybody please be blatantly honest and tell me about the faculty, residence halls, campus life (not nightlife particularly, but general atmosphere) and proximity to essential shops (for clothing and food, say)? I'm not looking for coated answers, just your opinion. Thank you!! Hoping to see you there in September.

Good morning!
Aww moving away for the first time can be scary especially to a new country. The Campus is ideal in this respect as it is situated in the quiet town of Medway where the population is mostly students and it is actually soon to get a University town status like Oxford and Cambridge. It is a close knit student community in the Faculty of Engineering and Science and students from both department know one another by name and the lecturers are super friendly. Class sizes are also small so you really feel and know the lecturer knows you and hopefully it will be quick for you to make new and lasting friends.
In relation to shops, there is a main outlet centre where you can find a Subway, Pizza Hut, cinema and more, this is a 10 minute walk from Campus. There are loads of parks and the Dockyard is close where a yearly Food Festival and other events are held.
Bluewater a major shopping centre https://bluewater.co.uk/ is a 30 minute bus journey or train ride- that will be up to you and as you can see from the link has everything!
I hope this helps and goes some way to ease your fears, and we look forward to welcoming you in September!
Yvette :banana:
I've got the offer letter for Msc in Psychology (conversion).
Can you please tell me bit about the course amd where should i stay. I am thinking for the greenwich accomodation instead of avery hill one, as the lectures would be thrice a week and the central is nearby.
Any help?
Original post by Sahil Bhambri
I've got the offer letter for Msc in Psychology (conversion).
Can you please tell me bit about the course amd where should i stay. I am thinking for the greenwich accomodation instead of avery hill one, as the lectures would be thrice a week and the central is nearby.
Any help?

Hello Sahil!

Psychology, MSc (Conversion Degree) is taught at the Avery Hill Campus. The programme involves a range of modules including; Brain, Behaviour and Cognition and Social Psychology. Full details are available here: http://www.gre.ac.uk/pg/eduhea/psych

You can live at the Avery Hill Campus, which is located in South East London. This Campus has the Student Village, which includes the Dome cafe and student shop. It is also right next to a park. We do run the university shuttle bus which is around a half an hour journey into London and the Greenwich Campus. Find out more here: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/about/campus/avery-hill

You can live at the Greenwich Campus too and make use of the shuttle bus to get to lectures at Avery Hill. The Greenwich Campus has accommodation which is dedicated to postgraduates at Devonport House. You also have Central London on your doorstep: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/about/campus/greenwich

Katie :rave:
Reply 9
Hey guys!

What do you think about Greenwich for architecture course? I really need your opinion!
Original post by TeresaC97
Hey guys!

What do you think about Greenwich for architecture course? I really need your opinion!

Hey!

We are proud that our architecture degrees are ranked third in London for student satisfaction by the Complete University Guide 2017.

If you enjoy design then our Architecture BA is perfect for you with design accounting for 50% of marks. This means that you can focus on developing your design skills and architectural ideas.

The Architecture & Landscape department is the only one in the country. The department is quite small, which provides a boutique feel. This also means that you will get to take part in landscape elements as part of your degree in Architecture.

Another great benefit of our Architecture degrees is the fact that they are taught in our state-of-the-art Stockwell Street library which first opened its doors in 2014. It was designed by the award winning architects Heneghan Peng.
The building is home to 14 rooftop landscapes, cutting edge digital workshops, extensive design studios, a world-class library and two gallery spaces.

You can also complete all three parts of your Architecture qualifications at the University of Greenwich.

Come along to our Open Day to see everything for yourself! https://www.gre.ac.uk/open-days-events

I hope this helps!

Katie
Original post by UniofGreenwich
Hey!

We are proud that our architecture degrees are ranked third in London for student satisfaction by the Complete University Guide 2017.

If you enjoy design then our Architecture BA is perfect for you with design accounting for 50% of marks. This means that you can focus on developing your design skills and architectural ideas.

The Architecture & Landscape department is the only one in the country. The department is quite small, which provides a boutique feel. This also means that you will get to take part in landscape elements as part of your degree in Architecture.

Another great benefit of our Architecture degrees is the fact that they are taught in our state-of-the-art Stockwell Street library which first opened its doors in 2014. It was designed by the award winning architects Heneghan Peng.
The building is home to 14 rooftop landscapes, cutting edge digital workshops, extensive design studios, a world-class library and two gallery spaces.

You can also complete all three parts of your Architecture qualifications at the University of Greenwich.

Come along to our Open Day to see everything for yourself! https://www.gre.ac.uk/open-days-events

I hope this helps!

Katie

Hi!

Thank you very much! It really helps! 😁
Hello, may I ask where the men's football training etc takes place? Greenwich or Avery Hill campus?

Also, I've got an unconditional offer to study Architecture this September and I wanted to know if students are advised to have their own personal laptop?

Thanks
Original post by MorganAchieving
Hello, may I ask where the men's football training etc takes place? Greenwich or Avery Hill campus?

Also, I've got an unconditional offer to study Architecture this September and I wanted to know if students are advised to have their own personal laptop?

Thanks

Hey!

The men's football training is at our Avery Hill Campus where there are all weather sports pitches: https://www.gre.ac.uk/about/sports/sports-at-avery-hill/outdoor-facilities. We have a university shuttle bus between the Greenwich Maritime Campus and Avery Hill which is free for students to use: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/about/travel/bus

A laptop will always be great to have, however, there are many computing facilities available that you can use which are accessible for most hours: http://www.gre.ac.uk/it-and-library/students/support-and-training/computer-labs

Hi there

I have just recieved my A Level results and I am glad to day I secured my place at Greenwhich university. I hose to start my midwifery course in March 2018 and I was wondering how freshers and the settling in process will entail. Will I have to attend September freshers events or will you hold other events in March? Thanks
Congratulations on your offer!

We do normally run a range of Freshers events for those who are starting their programme in March. Details of these events will be confirmed nearer the time. You can take a look at our SU Twitter page to stay updated.

See you in March!

Reply 16
Hi,

I have applied to Midwifery March 2018 start, but I'm struggling to find any information on when I might find out if I get an interview/acceptance as its a mid year course as it would be before September courses. I am a mature student and trying to figure out my employment. Could you give me any insight on this? Thanks
Original post by TashG
Hi,

I have applied to Midwifery March 2018 start, but I'm struggling to find any information on when I might find out if I get an interview/acceptance as its a mid year course as it would be before September courses. I am a mature student and trying to figure out my employment. Could you give me any insight on this? Thanks

Hello!

If you have been invited for an interview for the Midwifery course, you would have received an email or correspondence from us about it. It may not have been arranged just yet so please just hang on whilst this is potentially organised. You can check your application status on the applicant portal :smile:

Sarah :bunny:
Reply 18
Hi

What is the breakdown of grades in Accounting and Finance, BA Hons? Is it Year 2 and Year 3 has different weightage ? How do you link the credit hours in final grade calculation ?

Thanks
Original post by UniofGreenwich
The Recruitment Team at the University of Greenwich are here to answer any queries, issues and questions you might have relating to the university. This can be anything from applications, accommodation, course information and student life on our 3 campuses - from London to the South East of England.

We have a diverse team who can answer queries relating to UK, EU and International applications, as well as across our 4 faculties. If we cannot answer it ourselves, we will find someone who can!

Our main reps are Yvette :banana:, Alberto :hello:, Katie :rave: and Sarah :bunny:, and we would love to hear your queries about the University of Greenwich!

Heya. How do you usually go about freshers ? Is there going to be a boat party this year?

Quick Reply