The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Is Greenwich Uni worth it?

Yesterday I went to Greenwich Uni open day and I fell in love. This is the second uni I've been to look around, the first was Oxford and I hated it. I didn't feel happy there at all, everyone seemed miserable.

I know I need to go and look at other uni's before I make my decision on which one I want to aim for so my question is: Is Greenwich worth it? My parents don't believe in the point in going to a uni which isn't a Russel Group but I loved Greenwich so much. The social life, the area, the campus, it was all amazing. The social aspect plays a huge part in which uni I go to and it was definitely obvious that Greenwich had that. But I don't know if that's the only thing that is good about it. I only went for the day so I didn't get to experience the actual education standard.

If any one can offer any insight or opinions it would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by isalieee
Yesterday I went to Greenwich Uni open day and I fell in love. This is the second uni I've been to look around, the first was Oxford and I hated it. I didn't feel happy there at all, everyone seemed miserable.

I know I need to go and look at other uni's before I make my decision on which one I want to aim for so my question is: Is Greenwich worth it? My parents don't believe in the point in going to a uni which isn't a Russel Group but I loved Greenwich so much. The social life, the area, the campus, it was all amazing. The social aspect plays a huge part in which uni I go to and it was definitely obvious that Greenwich had that. But I don't know if that's the only thing that is good about it. I only went for the day so I didn't get to experience the actual education standard.

If any one can offer any insight or opinions it would be greatly appreciated!

If you like it this much and you also like the course they offer... go for it! :smile:

The university you go to doesn't matter, what matters is the grade you get at the end - and you're much more likely to get the grade you want in a place that you love.

I personally withdrew a King's College London application because I decided that I'd much rather go to Queen Mary University of London, which is clearly not on the same level of reputation as prestige as KCL. I ended up in Queen Mary and I absolutely think it was the right choice for me, so I reccomend you also choose what's right for you.

Good luck with your uni application!
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
If you like it this much and you also like the course they offer... go for it! :smile:

The university you go to doesn't matter, what matters is the grade you get at the end - and you're much more likely to get the grade you want in a place that you love.

I personally withdrew a King's College London application because I decided that I'd much rather go to Queen Mary University of London, which is clearly not on the same level of reputation as prestige as KCL. I ended up in Queen Mary and I absolutely think it was the right choice for me, so I reccomend you also choose what's right for you.

Good luck with your uni application!

Thank you so much:smile:
When you mentioned 'Oxford', did you mean Oxford University becuase there's a lot to choose from between Oxford uni and Greenwich? it's like you've swung the pendulum so far you might fall over.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
When you mentioned 'Oxford', did you mean Oxford University becuase there's a lot to choose from between Oxford uni and Greenwich? it's like you've swung the pendulum so far you might fall over.

I’m aware that there is a big difference between the two. The reason I only mentioned those two is because, as I previously stated, they are the only ones that I have been to look round. Obviously I am aware that there are other options. I was mainly trying to ask if going to a non-Russell Group uni was worth it.
Original post by isalieee
I’m aware that there is a big difference between the two. The reason I only mentioned those two is because, as I previously stated, they are the only ones that I have been to look round. Obviously I am aware that there are other options. I was mainly trying to ask if going to a non-Russell Group uni was worth it.

There are a few aspects to your question. RG is not the be all and end all. They consist of excellent universities but there are also excellent universities that aren't members of the group. If you apply yourself during your studies and take advantage of all the uni has to offer there's no reason why you shouldn't achieve your goals. However, you must look at it in the context of what you want to study and what you hope to do afterwards. While more companies are recruiting blind i.e not looking at uni attended, the majority still do. Sectors like Legal, Banking, Consulting etc are still very much biased towards certain universities. You're going to be spending thousands of pounds on your degree so i'd want to go somewhere that I'll get as good a return as possible. I guess this is what your parents are worried about.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
There are a few aspects to your question. RG is not the be all and end all. They consist of excellent universities but there are also excellent universities that aren't members of the group. If you apply yourself during your studies and take advantage of all the uni has to offer there's no reason why you shouldn't achieve your goals. However, you must look at it in the context of what you want to study and what you hope to do afterwards. While more companies are recruiting blind i.e not looking at uni attended, the majority still do. Sectors like Legal, Banking, Consulting etc are still very much biased towards certain universities. You're going to be spending thousands of pounds on your degree so i'd want to go somewhere that I'll get as good a return as possible. I guess this is what your parents are worried about.
Thank you, this was really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending