The Student Room Group

Feeling lonely at uni

Im going greenwich and i havent really made friends. Yh ive talked to people and know some people but it feels like i havent actually made a friend which just makes my uni life a bit dead.
Original post by Anonymous
Im going greenwich and i havent really made friends. Yh ive talked to people and know some people but it feels like i havent actually made a friend which just makes my uni life a bit dead.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling a bit lonely at university. I just wanted to reassure you that it is completely normal to feel lonely at the start of University and your feelings are valid. Making friends after leaving school where it was a lot easier for most people is tricky. Especially at the start of university where things can be overwhelming, finding friends to take some pressure off helps.

Have you been to any events recently that have been held by your university or students union? There might be events going on that you dont know about, so do check their social media or website!

Have you seen any societies you would like to join? This is the easiest way to find common ground with people but there is no pressure to making friends this way.

Finally other than the generic advice of talking to your coursemates, have you got a job with the university eg as a student ambassador, student rep, in a cafe where you can meet fellow students. I made a few friends through my roles at university.

I hope these help and hope you meet people like yourself soon!

If you are still struggling with loneliness do not hesitate to reach out to your university or local wellbeing services.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi,

Unfortunately, loneliness at uni is quite widespread and it is sometimes difficult to form meaningful long-lasting relationships when there are so many people around and everyone seems to have their own schedules, isn't it?
Are you part of any societies that you really enjoy? It is sometimes easier to make friends with someone who is also passionate about your hobby, and seeing them regularly at society events and socials helps to strengthen the bond. And if you find yourself getting along with someone really well - don't be afraid to suggest to them to spend time together :smile:
I'm sure you will eventually make friends that you will be able to call friends: it sometimes takes time, but don't feel like you are falling behind or that it will never happen. For example: I met my current friend group halfway through 2nd term of my first year, and we really started spending time together only in the 3rd term. During the first term I was just studying, working and didn't have almost any social life at all. That happens, but it's usually not permanent!

I hope you will meet someone soon. But if it gets too lonely, do reach out to welfare support services or student societies (social events organised by forums or societies to help you meet people or distract yourself and have fun in a good company).

Best of luck :smile:
Polina (LU Student Ambassador)
Reply 3

Hey, ive just moved to Stratford and having the same problems 😔 I’d be down to chat if u want!
Reply 4
Yo what's up. I'm actually studying at Greenwich 2. Would like to make more connections/friendships. Just DM me .
Reply 5

I can empathise and I'm sorry that you're going through this. Unfortunately, people mistake loneliness as something that can be easily solved, but it really isn't and it's so awkward when people ask "do you have any friends?" and you're just awkwardly trying to avoid answering that.

My best advice is to join a society where you volunteer and help the community. I know it's a lot of effort, but it's 100% worth it and once you get over that hurdle, you'll feel better!

i know two people who used to go/work at greenwich, one was my dad, hated that place for the same reason^^
and the other is the IT manager at my college, she used to be a lecturer at greenwich but left bc she said that there was no communication with the staff and students and she really hated it, she loves her job now!
people relate w/ u :frown:

Hi! I’m sorry that you’ve been feeling lonely at uni, it isn’t easy. It might help if you take a look at societies to see about meeting people that have similar interests to you? It can be easier to start conversations with people you have common ground with. Maybe also taking the initiative to invite some people out for a coffee or to play pool or something similar could help to fuel a friendship.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Third Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Reply 8
Original post by Wooble05
Hey, ive just moved to Stratford and having the same problems 😔 I’d be down to chat if u want!

Do u go Greenwich uni

Hi there, :smile:

I'm sorry to read that you are feeling this way. Please don't worry and know how you are feeling is normal, starting university can sometimes be overwhelming. Have you thought about joining any clubs or societies? This can be a great way for you to meet likeminded people outside your course. Your University will also hold many events throughout the year that you can attend, these are usually advertised through your Student's Union and on social media.

You could also have a look to see if there are any student ambassador roles available, this role is a great way of meeting new people whilst earning yourself a bit of money and will fit well around your studies.

I hope this helps. Please know that if you are struggling you can reach out to your university for support.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are finding uni hard and are finding it quite lonely. It is so normal and common to feel lonely in uni especially in first year. It can be really hard to make new friends and find groups that you click with straight away.

Have you tried joining societies and attending social events- you may find like minded people here.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical student
Uni of Sunderland

May I ask what your flatmates are like? Usually its a lot easier to become closer to people you live with rather than joining societies and actually putting yourself out there.
If you see someone cooking in the kitchen you can just join them for a casual conversation and try to become closer, then perhaps start hanging out with them.

Hope you find a way :smile:
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)
Reply 12
Original post by sammyboykk
Yo what's up. I'm actually studying at Greenwich 2. Would like to make more connections/friendships. Just DM me .

Hey yh sure man thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey yh sure man thanks

What course do ya do?

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling lonely but I just wanted to reassure you that this is a completely normal feeling and most people will feel like this at some time during their first few weeks/months at university.

Little steps such as joining societies or attending student union events will help you make new friends and hopefully, through societies, you'll meet people with similar interests to you. Other little steps such as asking others on your course if they would fancy going for a coffee or lunch will give you the opportunity to get to know your peers outside of just lectures.

Another way to make friends would be to get a part-time job. Opportunities such as a student ambassador at your university is a great way of making friends! I became an ambassador in my 2nd year and have honestly made so many new friends through working at events together and socializing after events.

I hope these tips help out a little and that you start to feel a little less lonely. Try to have a little patience as the friendships that last the longest are often the ones that happen naturally.

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Reply 15
What course do ya do?

Computing, wbu?
Law u got insta?? Better for me instead of click on here
Reply 17
Law u got insta?? Better for me instead of click on here

Oh nice, yeah sure whats ur insta?
Oh nice, yeah sure whats ur insta?

My Instagram is Sam251203

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling lonely.

It is very common for students, especially those that have travelled long distances to feel a state of loneliness when they go off to University. It isn't necessarily about the new friends that you make, a lot of students are away from familiar surroundings and their usual support networks.

I would look for some events put on by the student union, and also speak to student services if you feel like it is impacted your general well being. If you start to feel depressed I would speak to your G.P

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending