Original post by f999
is anybody else struggling in question 1?:frown:

Not me :smile:

Posted from TSR mobile
Original post by shady zax
Wow ur so sweet @_@ thanks on it

Posted from TSR mobile

np :smile:
Anybody have any idea why we wet the filter paper with cold solvent prior to the suction filtration? Like, is it actually to get a good seal between the paper and the perforated plate of the funnel?

Posted from TSR mobile
And this: what is formed when the precipitate of mn(oh)2 is left to stand in air? I know its sum oxide of mn.. But there are do many of those..which one do we need to kno about?

Posted from TSR mobile
And this: what is formed when the precipitate of mn(oh)2 is left to stand in air? I know its sum oxide of mn.. But there are do many of those..which one do we need to kno about?

A brown ppt of MnO2 is formed
Anybody have any idea why we wet the filter paper with cold solvent prior to the suction filtration? Like, is it actually to get a good seal between the paper and the perforated plate of the funnel?

Yes it is, it is used to moisten the filter paper with a little cold solvent to adhere the paper to the funnel, to prevent crystals from creeping under the paper and through the filter.
Original post by pondsteps
wtf is this june 2016 paper??!!! did anyone attempt it ???? i was solving all the papers and everything was going fine now i solved that paper and i feel so depressed and unready for the exam!!! ughhhhhh i neeed help with it

Imagine what it was like to actually do it then :P It was a horrible paper :P What's the jan 2017 one like? I'm saving it for tomorrow so i haven't even taken a little peek :P
[QUOTE="Ahmed_suliman;71431118"]

A brown ppt of MnO2 is formed

Where diju get that?

Posted from TSR mobile
[QUOTE="Ahmed_suliman;71431236"]

Yes it is, it is used to moisten the filter paper with a little cold solvent to adhere the paper to the funnel, to prevent crystals from creeping under the paper and through the filter.

Thank you 😁 ummm why cold solvent? Shouldn't that interfere with the hot filtration?

Posted from TSR mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by notsoclueless
Imagine what it was like to actually do it then :P It was a horrible paper :P What's the jan 2017 one like? I'm saving it for tomorrow so i haven't even taken a little peek :P

Spoiler alert: its a piece of cake

Posted from TSR mobile
Original post by notsoclueless

yeah same for 2017 jan........................... but can u help me with this paper?? o swear im so depressed
[QUOTE="zax;71431404" shady="shady"]
Original post by Ahmed_suliman

Thank you 😁 ummm why cold solvent? Shouldn't that interfere with the hot filtration?

Posted from TSR mobile

I believe you mixed up the types of filtration. Suction filtration is used to completely dry out the solid crystals, whereas filtration using a fluted paper can be used with hot solutions. In fluted filtration you do not wash the filter paper with cold solvent and and it has no stem to prevent the hot solution from crystallizing while traveling down the stem.
[QUOTE="zax;71431388" shady="shady"]
Original post by Ahmed_suliman

Where diju get that?

Posted from TSR mobile

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/transition/manganese.html
[QUOTE="Ahmed_suliman;71431670"]

I believe you mixed up the types of filtration. Suction filtration is used to completely dry out the solid crystals, whereas filtration using a fluted paper can be used with hot solutions. In fluted filtration you do not wash the filter paper with cold solvent and and it has no stem to prevent the hot solution from crystallizing while traveling down the stem.

Oh so no wetting the filter paper during any hot suction filtration?
Wait, the fluted paper and stemless funnel filtration would still be too slow right?

Posted from TSR mobile
[QUOTE="Ahmed_suliman;71431740"]

I see.. senkyu :smile:

Posted from TSR mobile
Spoiler alert: its a piece of cake

Posted from TSR mobile

I hope it is :tongue:
yeah same for 2017 jan........................... but can u help me with this paper?? o swear im so depressed

Yikes :frown:
I'll warn you that i got a C on that paper tho :/ but sure :smile:
I feel you :/ these exams in general are making me feel depressed 😭
guysss :frown: i mean if we decreased the conc of the titre the colume of the titre will also increase therefore the no. of moles of the titre will remain the same and there will be no effect on the Kc value!!!! ughhhhhh why does it say greater i dont understand
guysss :frown: i mean if we decreased the conc of the titre the colume of the titre will also increase therefore the no. of moles of the titre will remain the same and there will be no effect on the Kc value!!!! ughhhhhh why does it say greater i dont understand

When you increase the concentration of NaOH, more ethanoic acid is neutralised, shifting the equilibrium to the right.
Therefore the value of the numerator of the Kc expression increases, increasing the value of Kc. Hope this helped
Original post by f999
is anybody else struggling in question 1?:frown:

Learn all the tests from unit 3 and completely do the transition metals from unit 5 for that question

Quick Reply

Latest