The Student Room Group

OCR Mei M2 Thread (17th May 2017)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by lilrabbits
And do anyone still rmb the internal forces in the framework question..

top right is -60 thrust
bottom is 100 tension
cant remember the top left one
ayyyyy

got the same
Reply 42
Do we have to say mu is smaller than 1

There's no reason that mu is less than 1! It usually is, but in exceptional circumstances, it can be greater - e.g "Rubber against rubber results in a static coefficient of friction of 1.15"
I think they are unlikely to penalise people who say that it is less than one though...

Just realized someone has already answered this, sorry :/
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 43
Can anyone please explain how they did the question where B bounced off an angled plane? I got 60 degrees, and I can see where I went wrong...
Reply 44
Original post by latie
Can anyone please explain how they did the question where B bounced off an angled plane? I got 60 degrees, and I can see where I went wrong...

i got 60 degrees too
Reply 45
There is also one q that asks why we cannot use s=1/2(u+v)T one. Can we just say the acceleration is non-uniform?

that's what I said. By proving that the acceleration can't be constant, you can surely just state that suvat equations are only for use when the accelerations is constant?
Original post by Sarnez
i got 60 degrees too

And me
And the magnitude of impulse is 12(1+e) right (no need to state the direction?)
Original post by Sarnez
i got 60 degrees too

How did you even answer it?
Q1)
i) Va = -2/3Vb ( hence opposite due to the sign) (2)
ii) Va = 2e and Vb = 3e (5)
iii) 12(1+e)
iv) t = 18 seconds ( consider speed of seperation of A and B) (3)
v) 60 degrees (5)

Q2)
(a)
(i)W.D against Friction = 150J (3)
(ii) W.D against friction = 125/2tan(a) or something , then calculate tan(a) using part (i) (7)
(b)
(i) P = (R + 5a)V or something. (3)
(ii) F = 12.5 when v = 4 and a = 0 at P= 50 (1)
(iii) Look at january 2010 Q2 MEI M2 ==> a is not constant (3)

Q3
(i) X = 80cos(a) = 64 from looking at framework geometry and resolving the system horizontally (8)
100N , 36N , 45N ( 2 are compressions and 1 is a tension.) Can't remember
(ii) Rc = (55/169)W and F and R can be found from resolving horizontally and vertically(12)

Q4
(i) x = 4 and y = 3 (3)
(ii) let new c.o.m be (x , 2x/3) , solve x and y simultaneously to get mX = 6 (4)
(iii ) c.o.m of weird semicircular thingy = 2r/(k+pi) (4)
(iv) 6 - pi (6)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by SeanHarvey
How did you even answer it?

resolve parallel and perpendicular to the plane, parallel velocity is the same after collision, perpendicular velocity after collision becomes e times the original perpendicular velocity.
Original post by Sarnez
resolve parallel and perpendicular to the plane, parallel velocity is the same after collision, perpendicular velocity after collision becomes e times the original perpendicular velocity.

was it like :

3esin(a) = 1/3 x 3ecos(a) ?
Original post by PawanAviator
Q1)
i) Va = -2/3Vb ( hence opposite due to the sign) (2)
ii) Va = 2e and Vb = 3e (5)
iii) 12(1+e)
iv) t = 18 seconds ( consider speed of seperation of A and B) (3)
v) tan(a) = 1/3 from considering motion perp. to plane => 18. (5)

Q2)
(a)
(i)W.D against Friction = 150J (3)
(ii) W.D against friction = 125/2tan(a) or something , then calculate tan(a) using part (i) (7)
(b)
(i) P = (R + 5a)V or something. (3)
(ii) F = 12.5 when v = 4 and a = 0 at P= 50 (1)
(iii) Look at january 2010 Q2 MEI M2 ==> a is not constant (3)

Q3
(i) X = 80cos(a) = 64 from looking at framework geometry and resolving the system horizontally (8)
100N , 36N , 45N ( 2 are compressions and 1 is a tension.) Can't remember
(ii) Rc = (55/169)W and F and R can be found from resolving horizontally and vertically(12)

Q4
(i) x = 4 and y = 3 (3)
(ii) let new c.o.m be (x , 2x/3) , solve x and y simultaneously to get mX = 6 (4)
(iii ) c.o.m of weird semicircular thingy = 2r/(k+pi) (4)
(iv) 6 - pi (6)

Wow!!!! Thank u!! You are amazing
Original post by Sarnez

Came back to it at the end and made a start of doing that, hopefully won't drop all the marks in that case.
that power question really reminds of a past paper Q from jan 2010 Q2
Wow!!!! Thank u!! You are amazing

no worries!
Reply 56
Anyone get 50/v - F = 5a for the equation of motion thing? Assuming F=ma is the equation of motion
Reply 57
Original post by pusha a
Anyone get 50/v - F = 5a for the equation of motion thing? Assuming F=ma is the equation of motion

Yeah that's exactly what I had
1. (a)(i) total momentum is zero so momentum after collision must be zero. This is only possible if velocities are in the opposite direction, they cant pass through eachother so both must change direction after the collision.
(ii) Va = 2e to the left and Vb=3e to the right
(Iii) 18 seconds for time between two collisions
(Iv) magintude of impulse was (12e+12) Ns
(b) angle alpha was 60 degrees

2. (A) (I) work due to friction was 150J
(II) Show work due to friction was 125/2tan(alpha)
Tan(alpha) = 5/12
(Iii) It would go past D as less work lost due to friction and gravitational potential energy gain was still the same.
(B) (i) 5a=50/v-f
(Ii) f= 12.5
(Iii) f is constant so if a doesnt equal zero then v changes which means a must change accrodingly. If a is zero then velocity remains constant and so acceleration stays zero.
Cant use the provided formula as only for constant acceleration but as velocity changes acceleration wasnt constant

3. (A) Resolve horizontally x=80cos(alpha)=64
60 N thrust
100N tension
45 N thrust

(B) show u>= 0.308 doesnt neccasarily have to be less than 1

4. (I) com at (4,3)
(Ii) show mX =6

Value of k such that Te=2Tb was k=6-pi
Reply 59
what did you guys right for why a is constant ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending