The Student Room Group

Electrochemistry

Can someone explain the bit where I've put why?
I get the equilibrium shift part but not the more positive bit.

thanks
The more positive the E°, the further the equilibrium is to the right. Anything that pushes the equilibrium to the right therefore makes the potential more positive.

To explain why, we need to remember that these potentials are measured by dipping a piece of metal into a salt solution containing the metal ion. Metal ions break off the metal and enter solution, and some metal ions from the solution accept electrons from the metal and rejoin it. This is the equilibrium that is going on. The more negative the value, the more the equilibrium lies to the left, the more the metal ions like to enter solution, leaving
electrons left behind on the metal.

Positive electrode potentials have fewer electrons left behind because the ions don't like to enter solution so much.
Reply 2
Original post by tony_dolby
The more positive the E°, the further the equilibrium is to the right. Anything that pushes the equilibrium to the right therefore makes the potential more positive.

To explain why, we need to remember that these potentials are measured by dipping a piece of metal into a salt solution containing the metal ion. Metal ions break off the metal and enter solution, and some metal ions from the solution accept electrons from the metal and rejoin it. This is the equilibrium that is going on. The more negative the value, the more the equilibrium lies to the left, the more the metal ions like to enter solution, leaving
electrons left behind on the metal.

Positive electrode potentials have fewer electrons left behind because the ions don't like to enter solution so much.

Ok I sort of get it. Though im not sure how I would phrase it in an exam, any help?
Yes, I see your difficulty. You could say 'the potential becomes more positive because the aqueous ions are accepting electrons from the metal, thereby making the electrode potential more positive than the E°value as there are fewer electrons left on the metal.

Quick Reply

Latest