The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine blues

So I intend to apply for Medicine in 2018 . My GCSEs are not that great because I had problems revising with many siblings ( of young age , crying,shouting ,yelling etc under the same roof and library wasn't local). Let's just say I failed my GCSEs and sulked for a year because I kind of knew it was game over for entry into medical school. I always wanted to be the next 10 A* + student but that was not the case. I am currently doing AS exams for triple science and maths and afterwards I will revise for BMAT and UKCAT after exams until the very last day. I have noticed in my class that those who have fewer siblings tend to do really well academically and I am aware 2 girls I know want to study Medicine and have 1/2 siblings and clearly they get revision done and are cleverer than me. My parents do need me at times to watch my siblings ( they get up to all kinds of mischief) and I feel I would study better In a quieter house as well ( not possible with young kids!) . I am kind of losing faith on applying, I wanted to apply to oxford/ cambridge/ Imperial but I don't think I have a chance. Is there any possibility I have a chance to make it at any uni at all?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rosewater180
So I intend to apply for Medicine in 2018 . My GCSEs are not that great because I had problems revising with many siblings ( of young age , crying,shouting ,yelling etc under the same roof and library wasn't local). Let's just say I failed my GCSEs and sulked for a year because I kind of knew it was game over for entry into medical school. I always wanted to be the next 10 A* + student but that was not the case. I am currently doing AS exams for triple science and maths and afterwards I will revise for BMAT and UKCAT after exams till the very last day. I have noticed in my class that those who have fewer siblings rent to do really well academically and I am aware 2 girls I know want to study Medicine and have 1/2 siblings and clearly they get revision done and are cleverer than me. My parents do need me at times to watch my siblings ( they get up to all kinds of mischief) and I feel I would study better I a quieter house as well ( not possible with you very kids!) . I am kind of losing faith and applying, I wanted to apply to oxford/ cambridge/ Imperial but I don't think I have a chance. Is there any possibility I have a chance to make it any uni at all?

Med school is so competitive that unless you have top grades at GCSE and A-Level its unlikely you have a chance. Your situation is very unfortunate and I completely get why you've been having difficulties. The only thing you can really do I say to your parents "listen, I need to work and can't look after my siblings" and go find a coffee shop or something, buy ear plugs and sit down quietly.

Ear plugs won't work so well at home if things are as noisy as you are describing!

Good luck
Reply 2
So I intend to apply for Medicine in 2018 . My GCSEs are not that great because I had problems revising with many siblings ( of young age , crying,shouting ,yelling etc under the same roof and library wasn't local). Let's just say I failed my GCSEs and sulked for a year because I kind of knew it was game over for entry into medical school. I always wanted to be the next 10 A* + student but that was not the case. I am currently doing AS exams for triple science and maths and afterwards I will revise for BMAT and UKCAT after exams till the very last day. I have noticed in my class that those who have fewer siblings rent to do really well academically and I am aware 2 girls I know want to study Medicine and have 1/2 siblings and clearly they get revision done and are cleverer than me. My parents do need me at times to watch my siblings ( they get up to all kinds of mischief) and I feel I would study better I a quieter house as well ( not possible with you very kids!) . I am kind of losing faith and applying, I wanted to apply to oxford/ cambridge/ Imperial but I don't think I have a chance. Is there any possibility I have a chance to make it any uni at all?

Your GCSEs don't always make up a significant part of your application depending on the university that you apply to. Look up their admissions requirements and make sure that your application targets these. Be aware that you may need a C in English and Maths (and maybe Science), and this tends to be the case for any university course.

You do, however, need AAA at least at A-level. If you're struggling to study in your house, try to stay late at school or use a local library. There is no point comparing yourself to other students at your school, because what matters is that you get what you need. There will always be someone better than you who seems to have their whole life together, but you can't get hung up on that!

Make sure that you do as well as you can in your UKCAT and your personal statement, as that can bring up your application.

If you aren't successful this cycle but have the grades, take a year out and reapply. If you don't make the grades, you can still go to university and then apply as a postgraduate, or find a different path that you're interested in.
So I intend to apply for Medicine in 2018 . My GCSEs are not that great because I had problems revising with many siblings ( of young age , crying,shouting ,yelling etc under the same roof and library wasn't local). Let's just say I failed my GCSEs and sulked for a year because I kind of knew it was game over for entry into medical school. I always wanted to be the next 10 A* + student but that was not the case. I am currently doing AS exams for triple science and maths and afterwards I will revise for BMAT and UKCAT after exams until the very last day. I have noticed in my class that those who have fewer siblings tend to do really well academically and I am aware 2 girls I know want to study Medicine and have 1/2 siblings and clearly they get revision done and are cleverer than me. My parents do need me at times to watch my siblings ( they get up to all kinds of mischief) and I feel I would study better In a quieter house as well ( not possible with young kids!) . I am kind of losing faith on applying, I wanted to apply to oxford/ cambridge/ Imperial but I don't think I have a chance. Is there any possibility I have a chance to make it at any uni at all?

What did you get for your GCSEs? Did you actually fail them or did you not do as well as you hoped?

Do you think you might be eligible for any widening access courses?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/career/studying-medicine/becoming-a-doctor/widening-participation

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx
Reply 4

I achieved 1 A*. The rest (8) were a mixture of A,B,C and 1 D.
I am currently unaware of widening access courses.
Reply 5
As long as you have the minimum GCSE requirements and 3As predicted applying for medicine shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you pick medical schools that don't look a lot at GCSEs for their interview selection and make sure you smash the UKCAT or BMAT. Definitely would reccommend against applying to Oxford in your situation and potentially Cambridge but Imperial shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Have your parents been to uni? Are you from a low income family? There may be schemes at local unis that will allow you access with lower grades.
Study isn't a matter of hours but working smart. You need to find the best ways to learn that work for you.

You need to do your research and stay away from the Unis who consider GCSE important and focus on the others.

You also need to look at your application as a whole.

Widened access courses.
Work experience
Personal statement
BMAT/ UKCAT
A levels.

Many people dont make it first time, just make sure your application is good enough. If you want it enough and have the ability, then you will find ways to work round your sibling issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending