The Student Room Group

Acidity and charge - AQA A Level Chemistry

I am quite confused by this... What is the difference between this:
e.g. M3+ e.g. Al3+ - more acidic in water than M2+ because greater charge : size ratio

and

Mg(OH)2 being slightly soluble in water as it lattice is stronger so fewer free OH- ions are produced - so lower pH (i don't even get where the free oh- ions come from)

I don't really understand what any of that means plus what polarising means, plus how a greater charge density makes it more acidic...

Sorry. This is confusing... but this is literally how my brain is right now.
please unconfuse me.

Thaanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by tmifan
e.g. M3+ e.g. Al3+ - more acidic in water than M2+ because greater charge : size ratio

and

Mg(OH)2 being slightly soluble in water as it lattice is stronger so fewer free OH- ions are produced - so lower pH (i don't even get where the free oh- ions come from)

I don't really understand what any of that means plus what polarising means, plus how a greater charge density makes it more acidic...

please unconfuse me.

So basically, I think my question is...

Why does Mg(OH)2 have a lower pH than NaOH?
Reply 2
Original post by tmifan

and

please unconfuse me.

A metal with a 3+ charge is a stronger acid than a metal with a 2+ charge.
As the charge on the 3+ is greater, it attracts electrons from oxygen better than the metal with the 2+ charge. Therefore, this weakens the O-H bond and is more likely to be broken. It is easier to understand if you draw this out!
Original post by tmifan

and

please unconfuse me.

Right, i am not amazing at chemistry but i do know some of the answers...

a polar molecule - is one with charge, so if the overall molecule has a charge... it is a polar molecule... this also ties in with electronegativity

oh- ions come from either an alkaline solution or a water solution, in this case you are assessing the solubility in water.

by polarising a molecule... you are adding a charge to it

hope that helps
Reply 4
Original post by Mina_
A metal with a 3+ charge is a stronger acid than a metal with a 2+ charge.
As the charge on the 3+ is greater, it attracts electrons from oxygen better than the metal with the 2+ charge. Therefore, this weakens the O-H bond and is more likely to be broken. It is easier to understand if you draw this out!

Original post by autumnjadexx
Right, i am not amazing at chemistry but i do know some of the answers...

a polar molecule - is one with charge, so if the overall molecule has a charge... it is a polar molecule... this also ties in with electronegativity

oh- ions come from either an alkaline solution or a water solution, in this case you are assessing the solubility in water.

by polarising a molecule... you are adding a charge to it

hope that helps

Thanks! I get the whole 3+ vs 2+ but i stil don't get why Mg(OH)2 has a lower pH than NaOH?
Original post by tmifan
Thanks! I get the whole 3+ vs 2+ but i stil don't get why Mg(OH)2 has a lower pH than NaOH?

NaOH is added to MgCl2 to produce the OH ions in Mg(OH)2
Reply 6
Original post by tmifan

Mg(OH)2 is sparingly soluble in water, whereas NaOH is soluble and will split into Na+ and OH- ions, making NaOH more basic

Quick Reply

Latest