The Student Room Group

Level 2 Further Maths - Post some hard questions (Includes unofficial practice paper)

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Notnek
ABC is a straight line where BC is 20% of AC. In the diagram below, the coordinates of A, B and C are shown. pp and qq are positive numbers.

Find the value of pp and qq.
Reply 322
If anyone would be interested in more hard questions to be posted let me know. I don't know if there are many level 2 FM students on TSR this year.

Spoiler

Original post by Notnek
This is the hardest one I've posted so far and requires a very good undrstanding of transformation matrices. Don't worry if you can't do this one.

The transformation matrix P3\displaystyle \mathbf{P}^3 represents a clockwise rotation of 150o150^o about the origin.

Q=(0110)\displaystyle \mathbf{Q} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}

The unit vector (01)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} is transformed by the matrix QP\displaystyle \mathbf{Q}\mathbf{P} to give the vector (cosθcosα)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}-\cos \theta \\ \cos \alpha \end{pmatrix}.

Find the value of θ\theta and α\alpha.
Reply 324
Original post by Santa.claus

Spoiler

Have you drawn a diagram? If you show your working so far then I can help.
Original post by TheMightyBadger

Spoiler

Original post by noorah.dj
Can anyone help me out with this question ?- without using the trial and improvement method - thanks

The nth term of a sequence is n^2 + n
two consecutive terms in the sequence have a difference of 32
work out the two terms

Use n and n+1 as the 2 consecutive numbers and substitute them into your formula for the nth term and set the difference equal to 32. I got 272 and 240
Original post by Notnek
This is the hardest one I've posted so far and requires a very good undrstanding of transformation matrices. Don't worry if you can't do this one.

The transformation matrix P3\displaystyle \mathbf{P}^3 represents a clockwise rotation of 150o150^o about the origin.

Q=(0110)\displaystyle \mathbf{Q} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}

The unit vector (01)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} is transformed by the matrix QP\displaystyle \mathbf{Q}\mathbf{P} to give the vector (cosθcosα)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}-\cos \theta \\ \cos \alpha \end{pmatrix}.

Find the value of θ\theta and α\alpha.

I couldn't really find a clear solution to this question on this thread so I decided it would be best to just write one up myself. This is the way in which I thought the question could most easily be solved but I'm sure there are various other methods. Apologies for the bad handwriting - let me know if anything is unclear or incorrect in the attached image so that I can re-upload a corrected version. :smile:
Original post by Notnek
If anyone would be interested in more hard questions to be posted let me know. I don't know if there are many level 2 FM students on TSR this year.

Hi... I'd definitely be interested in harder questions like the ones posted on this thread. Also, I posted a written solution to the matrices question so I'd appreciate if you checked it out to verify. :smile:
Reply 328
Original post by sigma_108
Hi... I'd definitely be interested in harder questions like the ones posted on this thread. Also, I posted a written solution to the matrices question so I'd appreciate if you checked it out to verify. :smile:

You might be the only one this year so I may not make any more. I'll check your answer to the other question later.
Is cosx =5 divide by 6
I couldn't really find a clear solution to this question on this thread so I decided it would be best to just write one up myself. This is the way in which I thought the question could most easily be solved but I'm sure there are various other methods. Apologies for the bad handwriting - let me know if anything is unclear or incorrect in the attached image so that I can re-upload a corrected version. :smile:

Careful here (highlighted below) since the y coordinate of the transformed unit vector (10)\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} is negative... so you should have sin50-\sin 50 instead. Otherwise, your approach seems solid.

The only other comment I would make is that since cosine,sine are have a period of 360 degrees, the solution to cosθ=cos50-\cos \theta = -\cos 50 is firstly θ=50\theta = 50, as you say, but it can also be θ=50+360=410\theta = 50 + 360 = 410, or θ=50360=310\theta = 50-360 = -310, and so on... so (50) + (any integer) * 360 is the general solution... but I'm not sure if that's expected at this level.

P.S. For cosα=sin50\cos \alpha = \sin 50 it would be more elegant to realise that you can apply an identity.. namely sin50cos(9050)\sin 50 \equiv \cos(90-50).

(edited 4 years ago)
Hi..
yeah I myself also noticed that it should be -sin rather than sin - so thanks for making that clear to others.
And yes, what you have suggested does sound a lot 'cleaner' it's just not what I thought of immediately but yeah..

Original post by RDKGames
Careful here (highlighted below) since the y coordinate of the transformed unit vector (10)\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} is negative... so you should have sin50-\sin 50 instead. Otherwise, your approach seems solid.

The only other comment I would make is that since cosine,sine are have a period of 360 degrees, the solution to cosθ=cos50-\cos \theta = -\cos 50 is firstly θ=50\theta = 50, as you say, but it can also be θ=50+360=410\theta = 50 + 360 = 410, or θ=50360=310\theta = 50-360 = -310, and so on... so (50) + (any integer) * 360 is the general solution... but I'm not sure if that's expected at this level.

P.S. For cosα=sin50\cos \alpha = \sin 50 it would be more elegant to realise that you can apply an identity.. namely sin50cos(9050)\sin 50 \equiv \cos(90-50).

Reply 332
If anyone wants more questions posted before Paper 2 then let me know.
Reply 333
675x42505x3+2407x263x162(axb)(cx+d)(exc)2675x^4-2505x^3+2407x^2-63x-162\equiv (ax-b)(cx+d)(ex-c)^2

a,b,c,da, b, c, d and ee are different positive integers. Find their values.
I'm quite confused with this one, could you provide a hint please? And also I'd appreciate more questions before paper 2 - but I can understand if you aren't able to upload any as you only really have 1 day so no worries if it's not possible :smile:
Original post by Notnek
675x42505x3+2407x263x162(axb)(cx+d)(exc)2675x^4-2505x^3+2407x^2-63x-162\equiv (ax-b)(cx+d)(ex-c)^2

a,b,c,da, b, c, d and ee are different positive integers. Find their values.
Reply 335
I'm quite confused with this one, could you provide a hint please? And also I'd appreciate more questions before paper 2 - but I can understand if you aren't able to upload any as you only really have 1 day so no worries if it's not possible :smile:

The question is similar to types that I've seen in paper 2 before but harder. Start by considering the constant term -162. If you were to expand the right hand side (no need to actually expand it), what would the constant term be?

By constant term I mean the term without any x's in it.
(Don't open the spoiler if you want to work out the answer to the first difficult question on the thread)

Spoiler

Original post by Notnek
If anyone's looking for some tricky questions to try before paper 2 then check this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4780436
Reply 337
Original post by Will_W
(Don't open the spoiler if you want to work out the answer to the first difficult question on the thread)

Spoiler

(I moved your post to the question thread so it's all in one place).

I'm not really sure what you mean. Is there a solution you are looking at which is confusing you? If there is can you please link to it?

If not can you please post all your working up to the point you get confused?
So we simplify the original question to get sinx * cosx = 0. The solutions to this equation would be 0,90,180,270,360. The points where the sin and cos graph touch the x-axis.
But with the original equation in the question, 180 and 270 aren't solutions because substituting them in would cause a division by zero, which is unsolvable. So does this not mean that the two equations aren't the same since they have different solutions? But we got the equation sinx * cosx = 0 from the original one in the question so I'm not sure what happened in the simplifying process that caused these equations to have different solutions. I hope this makes sense? thanks
Original post by Notnek
(I moved your post to the question thread so it's all in one place).

I'm not really sure what you mean. Is there a solution you are looking at which is confusing you? If there is can you please link to it?

If not can you please post all your working up to the point you get confused?
Reply 339
Original post by Will_W
So we simplify the original question to get sinx * cosx = 0. The solutions to this equation would be 0,90,180,270,360. The points where the sin and cos graph touch the x-axis.
But with the original equation in the question, 180 and 270 aren't solutions because substituting them in would cause a division by zero, which is unsolvable. So does this not mean that the two equations aren't the same since they have different solutions? But we got the equation sinx * cosx = 0 from the original one in the question so I'm not sure what happened in the simplifying process that caused these equations to have different solutions. I hope this makes sense? thanks

I'll try to explain it but it might be confusing. You don't need to understand this at GCSE level but it's good to ask questions.

So you started with

sinθcosθ+1+cosθsinθ+1=1\displaystyle \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta + 1} + \frac{\cos \theta}{\sin \theta + 1} = 1

then did some algebra and ended up with

sinx×cosx=0\sin x \times \cos x = 0

So you're probably thinking that these two equations are "the same" as in all the solutions to the first equation are solutions to the second equation and vice-versa.

When you perform algebraic manupulation most of the time it is true "both ways" e.g.

x=2x=2

add 2 to both sides

x+2=4x+2 = 4

The first equation implies that the second one is true and the second one implies that the first one is true (since you can just subract 2 from both sides). This is how you've learnt algebra but what might surprise you is that it's not always the case.

E.g. start with this equation

0x+1=x\displaystyle \frac{0}{x+1}=x

and multiply both sides by (x+1)(x+1)

0=x(x+1)0=x(x+1)

The solutions to the second equation are x=0x=0 and x=1x=-1 but clearly x=1x=-1 doesn't satisfy the first equation because of division by 0. The problem is that the algebra is not "reversible" if xx is -1 i.e. if you start from

0=x(x+1)0=x(x+1)

you can only divide both sides by x+1x+1 if you assume that xx is not -1.

A similar thing is happening in the question your are talking about. If you have any questions about this let me know and don't worry if you're still confused!

Quick Reply

Latest