The Student Room Group

I Hate OCR, sooooo much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by phat-chewbacca
Totally disagree with you on that, because I and only I know what I went through with my school. Not a helpful school and that is final.

Eh? You're still trying to push the blame onto something else. That's not an excuse.

Does anyone know if I can sit the Edexcel IAL in another country?

Jesus christ, just work harder and do well. Don't try leaving the bloody country to sit an exam.
Original post by Jasminea
Don't worry about the exam. I go to a fairly good school (in terms of A-level results) and I've always found M1 hard. Even my friends who do physics (so M1 is easier for them) found it hard too. Almost everyone I saw and spoke to at my school found it hard so I think grade boundaries will be very low. Also, you're in Yr12 so you could always retake it next year when the paper may be easier. Also, to get an A with your AS maths you only need to average 80 UMS. Personally I think you'll find it really hard to do 12 modules of maths in 1 year plus learning the syllabus for your other subjects. Even if u felt u did badly, I'm sure u didn't do as bad as u say bcoz everyone found it hard. Don't worry.

Yh but the thing I am not really doing 12 modules nest year. I already know that context of most of the 6 A-level modules, I just need to refine them. Wait, did you and your friends take OCR M1 yesterday?
Reply 22
Your scores do not seem too bad at all. I agree this M1 paper was crap. I sat M2 last month and thought that was easier than this. I'm in year 13 and taking OCR Further Maths and Maths, and yes it can be difficult, but really there is not that much variation in exam boards. Harder exam boards have lower grade boundaries, and easier exam boards have higher grade boundaries.

My advice is just focus on C3 and C4 for now. They are the most important units you have this year, M1 and/or S1 will be easy to retake presuming you are doing M2 and S2.

I think if you can try to stick with your sixth form you should. I also go to a bad requires improvement comprehensive school, and the support in the school is quite limited. If you want any help with C3/C4 in the mean time i'd also be happy to go over some questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Eh? You're still trying to push the blame onto something else. That's not an excuse.

Jesus christ, just work harder and do well. Don't try leaving the bloody country to sit an exam.

Ok, but when I didn't understand something, my teachers didn't even help even when I asked. How is that my fault. I tried learning the content for M1 by myself, but it obviously didn't work. I basically self studied all of the core modules and it paid off.
Yh but the thing I am not really doing 12 modules nest year. I already know that context of most of the 6 A-level modules, I just need to refine them. Wait, did you and your friends take OCR M1 yesterday?

Yep, my friends and I did OCR M1 yesterday and I can agree with you that it was a pretty hard paper.
Yep, my friends and I did OCR M1 yesterday and I can agree with you that it was a pretty hard paper.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck on results day.
Original post by MrProcrastinator
Are you serious about the aqa c4? are you talking about the one we had this week? Cos I reckon that was probs the hardest c4 yet

No, the one in 2012.
Original post by MajorFader
What year, do you know?

Original post by Carter1
Your scores do not seem too bad at all. I agree this M1 paper was crap. I sat M2 last month and thought that was easier than this. I'm in year 13 and taking OCR Further Maths and Maths, and yes it can be difficult, but really there is not that much variation in exam boards. Harder exam boards have lower grade boundaries, and easier exam boards have higher grade boundaries.

My advice is just focus on C3 and C4 for now. They are the most important units you have this year, M1 and/or S1 will be easy to retake presuming you are doing M2 and S2.

I think if you can try to stick with your sixth form you should. I also go to a bad requires improvement comprehensive school, and the support in the school is quite limited. If you want any help with C3/C4 in the mean time i'd also be happy to go over some questions.

Cmon they are pretty bad, I can only get an B overall at A2 if I get 90% on C3 and C4. I am get only get 90% + in C4 and not in C3. My mind doesn't even want to revise and I don't know what to do.

So would you say just stick with OCR, many of my friends from other schools are persuading me to take UK Edexcel A-level Maths or IAL Edexcel Maths.

Also what modules did you take for OCR Maths and Further Maths?

Well I think, for me, C1, C2 and S1 were ok so I'm hoping they'll bring up my AS grade.
Original post by Zacken

But I want an A* this year so by sitting IAL A-Level Maths I can get the exams out of the way in October/November, then if I get an A* then I won't need to resit OCR.

Well, for me, I think C1, C2 and S1 were ok so I'm hoping they'll bring up my AS grade. I'm just working hard for C3 and C4. (I'm not further maths, if you're wondering)

Good luck to you too! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 32
Cmon they are pretty bad, I can only get an B overall at A2 if I get 90% on C3 and C4. I am get only get 90% + in C4 and not in C3. My mind doesn't even want to revise and I don't know what to do.

So would you say just stick with OCR, many of my friends from other schools are persuading me to take UK Edexcel A-level Maths or IAL Edexcel Maths.

Also what modules did you take for OCR Maths and Further Maths?

It's very hard to predict exactly what raw score you got in an exam, and even harder to predict the UMS scores since they aren't released till August. I would say to remain optimistic especially for M1 as I would expect them to be quite low.

For maths AS I did C1 C2 S1, and for further maths AS I did D1,D2, FP1
maths A2 C3 C4 M1, and further maths A2 S2 M2 FP2

Yes each exam board has to award approximately the same proportion of A*/A grades. You really wouldn't benefit from switching to a new exam board at this point. Which units are you doing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Well I think, for me, C1, C2 and S1 were ok so I'm hoping they'll bring up my AS grade.

Best of luck. I loved the C1 and C2 exam. Unfortunately I was unable to attain the 100 UMS in them due to silly mistakes and exam pressure. That is why I don't think I will get 90% in C3 and C4, as I did not get the 100 UMS in C1 and C2, which I aimed for.
Original post by Carter1
It's very hard to predict exactly what raw score you got in an exam, and even harder to predict the UMS scores since they aren't released till August. I would say to remain optimistic especially for M1 as I would expect them to be quite low.

For maths AS I did C1 C2 S1, and for further maths AS I did D1,D2, FP1
maths A2 C3 C4 M1, and further maths A2 S2 M2 FP2

Yes each exam board has to award approximately the same number of A*/A grades. You really wouldn't benefit from switching to a new exam board at this point. Which units are you doing.

Ok yh I totally understand. Just pray the grade boundaries are low. I will stick with OCR A-level Maths then. But I 100% want to self study next year? Is it possible to self-study A-level Further Maths with some resits of A-level Maths.

Has anyone done this?
Reply 35
Ok yh I totally understand. Just pray the grade boundaries are low. I will stick with OCR A-level Maths then. But I 100% want to self study next year? Is it possible to self-study A-level Further Maths with some resits of A-level Maths.

Has anyone done this?

I basically self studied this year. There is only 1 other person in my further maths class, so we basically didn't have any formal lessons.

It's not really that hard to, just need to be organised, do lots of practice.

You can add me on skype or something if you want any advice
Original post by Carter1
I basically self studied this year. There is only 1 other person in my further maths class, so we basically didn't have any formal lessons.

It's not really that hard to, just need to be organised, do lots of practice.

You can add me on skype or something if you want any advice

Yes please. You are the best. I really appreciate this.

I will PM you my Skype ID
Reply 37
Yes please. You are the best. I really appreciate this.

I will PM you my Skype ID

No worries man! :smile:
Look so yesterday I had my M1 exam with OCR. I did so bad that I am 100% that I got a U grade and it seems like not one gives a ****. I went to talk to my one of my teachers after the exam, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'oh well'.

I go to a *****y state school (sixth-form) and the teachers don't even care.

Anyways I am in year 12 taking Further Maths with OCR. I am a taking the whole A-level course in one year, i.e, C1-C4, S1 and M1. I really want to get an A this year but unfortunately after that OCR M1 exam yesterday, I definitely wont, and also as it is OCR C3 and C4 could be ugly. So I am ****ed.

This is my predictions of the UMS grade I think I got.

C1: 80+ UMS
C2: 87 UMS
S1: 56 UMS
M1: Below 30 UMS

I was thinking of changing my exam board to Edexcel for Maths and Further Maths, thus leaving the sixth-from and self studying. Does anyone recommend Edexcel for Maths and FM.

Also have anyone done FM A-level whilst sitting the whole of their A-level maths, making this 12 modules in one year?

To be fair I did not know OCR existed until recently. I thought there was only Edexcel and AQA. (I guess OCR is mostly for stuff like dance, Well the first one I saw was a dance one.)
every exam board is getting harder year by year..but Edexcel is probably the best for GCSE and A-Level Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest