The Student Room Group

OCR FP2 2017 (non MEI)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosie0411
I can't seem to edit the google docs thing but I got pi/4 for one of the first integral (complete the square one?). The polar graphs were sinx and cos2x i think....
For the last question i change she to the same sigma formula and n came out in the 2000s so I don't know if anyone's else got that?!
For q6, the last part I got aln(10+root3)(can't remember a) not sure if this answers the question though?
Hope some of this helps :smile:

Ok I'm here now.

You need to press the button at the top to request access.
Original post by rebirth61213
Wait, I thought positive quadrant meant the top right one?

That's what I meant lol
for 5)iii (the area between the two curves in the positive quadrant) I did the integral of sin theta using the polar integral formula with limits pi/6 and zero, then multiplied this by two to get pi/12 + root3/16
anyone else do/get something similar??
Reply 23
So there's some debate at my college on the wording of the polar area question. It said find the area between the two curves. Does that mean find the area enclosed by both curves or find the area shared by both curves? It was a 50/50 split in my class.
Original post by Fortox
So there's some debate at my college on the wording of the polar area question. It said find the area between the two curves. Does that mean find the area enclosed by both curves or find the area shared by both curves? It was a 50/50 split in my class.

Same here I didn’t know what it wanted out of the two so I just did the silicon o how first quadrant so pi/4
Original post by EleanorAngel
for 5)iii (the area between the two curves in the positive quadrant) I did the integral of sin theta using the polar integral formula with limits pi/6 and zero, then multiplied this by two to get pi/12 + root3/16

Yep, I worked out the Sin area and added half of the Cos2 area. I then took away the area you're talking about.
that was so easy?? i reckon the grade boundaries will be brutal
Not quite sure what the answer for the area is but I reckon u will pick up 4 ish for working out various areas.
It wasn't bad apart from that question
Did anyone get pi/8 - 3root3/32 for the area question?

I think this is what I got yay
Reply 30
Original post by Jojos bizaro

Thats what I got

Got exactly that ÷ 2
Original post by BaobaoKe
Thats what I got

Thank God at least someone does! You and I are in this together now.
was the graph on the back page wrong? At x=1 y=0.37 but the graph was at a much higher value, like 0.7??
Also for 6ii, it asked for the root of the equation, but wasn't 1/3ln(3+10^0.5) the value of x not w?
I got the polar area to be pi/16 - 3root3/32
Did anyone else get this?
Original post by jadeemma
Also for 6ii, it asked for the root of the equation, but wasn't 1/3ln(3+10^0.5) the value of x not w?

pretty sure 1/3In(3+10^0.5) was the result of doing sinh^-1 x which would equal w
Reply 37
pretty sure 1/3In(3+10^0.5) was the result of doing sinh^-1 x which would equal w

w=sinhx not sinh^-1 x. The question was definitely worded wrong. To get w you would have to do sinh(1/3ln(3+sqrt(10))) which would not give a nice answer.
Original post by jadeemma
I got the polar area to be pi/16 - 3root3/32
Did anyone else get this?

yep same
Reply 39
Original post by Jojos bizaro

Yes but I think the actual answer is pi/16 - 3sqrt(3)/32. The mistake I made was integrating cos(2theta) from 0 to pi/2 to get the area under cos(2theta). I should have done it from 0 to pi/4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending