The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Medicine at Manchester?

Hello! Any medics, how do you find medicine at UoM? With the PBL sessions and fewer lectures than medicine at some other unis, do you feel supported/guided enough? Can you go to more lectures/anatomy sessions etc.. if you want to? Thanks!
Reply 1
Bump!

Are there any tips you'd give to students that are gonna start the course?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Bump 2x!

What's the best part and the worst part of the course, in your opinion? :biggrin:

Thanks!

Personally, I've read the blog (and those articles) before, but was thinking it may be nice to hear from any current student in a non-official form.
Reply 5
Going into 2nd year Med at Manchester!

Original post by kapowginger
Hello! Any medics, how do you find medicine at UoM? With the PBL sessions and fewer lectures than medicine at some other unis, do you feel supported/guided enough? Can you go to more lectures/anatomy sessions etc.. if you want to? Thanks!

In recent years they've added additional lectures as students felt that the work was too self directed and struggled with that. We have 7 lectures per week, which is enough IMO. Being a PBL course, I do struggle with the detail required in my notes as most of the work is done independently. We don't have super detailed exam specifications like you would have with A Levels so there will always be some level of doubt as to whether I'm doing too much or too little. This is something you just need to get used to, and it's definitely not something you should stress about! With hindsight, I would choose manchester again. I feel sorry for those in a more traditional course with 9-5 lectures, that is torture!

Closer to exams, we have additional optional anatomy sessions. A couple medic societies run additional lectures closer to exam period, but those aren't so great TBH.

Original post by Loyale
Bump!

Are there any tips you'd give to students that are gonna start the course?

For now, just chill out. You don't need to go over your A Level notes or anything like that. Get textbooks from the library asap before the good ones get taken. If you're too late, don't worry as there are free online copies that you can get from other students. Brush up on your cooking skills and make sure you have everything that you need living wise. Don't think about the work yet :smile:

Original post by singzeon
Bump 2x!

What's the best part and the worst part of the course, in your opinion? :biggrin:

I've only completed 1 year so I can't comment on the clinical aspect of the course (years 3-5). Self directed study is both a best part and worst part. I can schedule my study in the way I want to and I'm not forced to watch hours on hours of lectures everyday. As I said earlier, knowing how much detail I need to go into is a struggle and sometimes I miss important info in my notes. Early placements in years 1 and 2 are great as we can get an idea of how working in a GP/hospital is like (for those of us who haven't worked in a hospital prior to med school at least). The anatomy tutors are really good IMO. PEP (a group project that we need to do in the 2nd semester) is really annoying and time consuming, wish we didn't have to do it.
Original post by Mehhhh
Going into 2nd year Med at Manchester!

In recent years they've added additional lectures as students felt that the work was too self directed and struggled with that. We have 7 lectures per week, which is enough IMO. Being a PBL course, I do struggle with the detail required in my notes as most of the work is done independently. We don't have super detailed exam specifications like you would have with A Levels so there will always be some level of doubt as to whether I'm doing too much or too little. This is something you just need to get used to, and it's definitely not something you should stress about! With hindsight, I would choose manchester again. I feel sorry for those in a more traditional course with 9-5 lectures, that is torture!

Closer to exams, we have additional optional anatomy sessions. A couple medic societies run additional lectures closer to exam period, but those aren't so great TBH.

For now, just chill out. You don't need to go over your A Level notes or anything like that. Get textbooks from the library asap before the good ones get taken. If you're too late, don't worry as there are free online copies that you can get from other students. Brush up on your cooking skills and make sure you have everything that you need living wise. Don't think about the work yet :smile:

I've only completed 1 year so I can't comment on the clinical aspect of the course (years 3-5). Self directed study is both a best part and worst part. I can schedule my study in the way I want to and I'm not forced to watch hours on hours of lectures everyday. As I said earlier, knowing how much detail I need to go into is a struggle and sometimes I miss important info in my notes. Early placements in years 1 and 2 are great as we can get an idea of how working in a GP/hospital is like (for those of us who haven't worked in a hospital prior to med school at least). The anatomy tutors are really good IMO. PEP (a group project that we need to do in the 2nd semester) is really annoying and time consuming, wish we didn't have to do it.

Thanks for all that. What's PEP about?
Reply 7
Thanks for all that. What's PEP about?

It's a group project that we have to do every year (years 1-4 I think). In year 1, we make a poster as a group on a topic of our choice and write an individual report based on our topic (a 3-4ish page essay in 1st year). We then need to present the poster to a bunch of examiners and our peers (this is the easy part, takes almost no effort).

This is all done during exam season so it does get in the way of our revision.
Original post by Mehhhh
It's a group project that we have to do every year (years 1-4 I think). In year 1, we make a poster as a group on a topic of our choice and write an individual report based on our topic (a 3-4ish page essay in 1st year). We then need to present the poster to a bunch of examiners and our peers (this is the easy part, takes almost no effort).

Oh ... Was this newly introduced or something? Would it help if current students strongly 'protested' (?) against this project?
Reply 9
Oh ... Was this newly introduced or something? Would it help if current students strongly 'protested' (?) against this project?

I don't think it was around for long. The PEP project is graded and is treated like any other exam so I don't think there's anything we can do about it!
Reply 10
Original post by Mehhhh

Is the topic strictly medicine based or could you do a PEP on something like related to medicine like healthcare law/ psychology of heath etc?
Reply 11
Original post by Loyale
Is the topic strictly medicine based or could you do a PEP on something like related to medicine like healthcare law/ psychology of heath etc?

It has to be strictly medicine as it must include some bioscience/physiology. Don't worry about it now, everything will be properly explained during the 2nd semester! It's really not a big deal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending