The Student Room Group

I'm writing a book. What do I do when I finish?

Should I try to sell it to a publisher? Or self-publish on Amazon? I am even tempted to just release it in stages on some website (maybe TSR) without seeking my own profit. (Not out of kindness but stupidity). (don't assume my idiocy in giving it away for free means the content is idiotic) :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Revise it, then revise it again.

Then you can consider showing it to people.

What sort of book is it?
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Revise it, then revise it again.

Then you can consider showing it to people.

What sort of book is it?

It is an attempt to turn peasants into kings. So self-help really, but it's very philosophical too, and not in some mysterious wishy-washy sense, it will contain an abundance of clear and interesting arguments acquired from my former life of thinking about stuff.
You can..

.. look at who's publishing that sort of thing. Send them a cover letter and the first couple of chapters (or whatever else their website asks for, including not bothering because they're not accepting anything).

.. DIY, particularly via somewhere like Amazon. Just get the formatting right.

.. turn it into a website. Offer something for sale there, even if it's just some private advice.
Original post by OnGowGow
self-help

This is a very hard genre to be successful in; Waterstones is littered with self-help books from nobodies who barely sell anything.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi. Well done on finishing it - don't forget to edit it if you haven't already :smile:

the link below suggested you could publish online as long as its short, but if you ask for feedback then you might want to remove it once you've received feedback. Also TSR has a Creative Corner if you wish to do this. Have you asked IRL people or "beta readers" to critique it to see what they think of it?

source
http://writersrelief.com/blog/2013/11/what-is-considered-previously-published-writing/

like others have have said it pretty hard to get into, some authors like JK Rowling were rejected several times before getting published.
Before you consider publishing, you'll absolutely want at least three or four people to read it through. Preferably people knowledgeable in the subject and genre. Then you'll want to edit it, get people to read it again (the same people if they can stomach it! though others would be fine too) and repeat until you're very happy with it.

Then it's up to you. If you aren't fussed about the money, opportunities and prestige (none of which are guaranteed by any means, I should say) that comes with publishing through a publisher, then you can avoid the hassle and just self-publish via Amazon etc. Else you'll want to send it out to as many publishers as possible. You'll have a lot of no replies, a lot of blunt rejections. But - unless you do get published, which is unlikely on your first attempt but possible - the most helpful will be the one or two publishers who give you some robust, honest feedback alongside their rejection.
I think the first thing what you do this: give your work to read good friends. Then correct your work. After that, you must go to the publishing agency and submit your work. When I wrote my first book, I did it. And got a contract. But I needed a help one site https://Essayontime.com.au/dissertation-writing-services/ These guys are connoisseurs of their business and so much helped me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending