The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Uni of Exeter, Penryn Campus

Anyone going to the Penryn Campus this september? I’m going to need some people to talk to when I get there!
- where are you coming from?
- what are you studying?
- any other info that might be useful for me making some friends!

I am coming from East Sussex, going to study Zoology at Penryn.
Hi not coming this year but I am currently applying for zoology for next year - loved the campus and the course. Just hoping they offer me a place....got to get my personal statement finished...just wish we could answer questions rather than write the statement. Did you have much guidance on yours?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
I actually applied and had offers for veterinary medicine at Bristol and Nottingham, with Zoology as an intercalated year if at bristol. But the government managed to mess up the grades this year and I didn’t get in. Zoology was my backup option and I had offers for it at a couple of universities, but my personal statement was mostly focused towards VetMed. I had some help from my college, but did most of it myself. I did write quite a large section about using the knowledge of many different areas of animals care and medicine in different settings, including wider reading, which definitely helped with the Zoology side of it. I would definitely recommend reading ‘Zoobiquity’ by Horowitz and Bowers and ‘Like a Whale’ by Steve Jones. They’re both really good for widening understanding and will give you quite a bit to write about. Good Luck with it all, I’m sure you’ll do great!

Original post by Baffledinart
Hi not coming this year but I am currently applying for zoology for next year - loved the campus and the course. Just hoping they offer me a place....got to get my personal statement finished...just wish we could answer questions rather than write the statement. Did you have much guidance on yours?
Reply 3
Original post by 16hdennis
I actually applied and had offers for veterinary medicine at Bristol and Nottingham, with Zoology as an intercalated year if at bristol. But the government managed to mess up the grades this year and I didn’t get in. Zoology was my backup option and I had offers for it at a couple of universities, but my personal statement was mostly focused towards VetMed. I had some help from my college, but did most of it myself. I did write quite a large section about using the knowledge of many different areas of animals care and medicine in different settings, including wider reading, which definitely helped with the Zoology side of it. I would definitely recommend reading ‘Zoobiquity’ by Horowitz and Bowers and ‘Like a Whale’ by Steve Jones. They’re both really good for widening understanding and will give you quite a bit to write about. Good Luck with it all, I’m sure you’ll do great!

do you think you will do vet med post grad?
Original post by Baffledinart

Hi Baffledinart,

I'm a current PhD student at the University of Exeter's Centre for Ecology and Conservation on the Penryn Campus. Before that I studied here for both my Masters by Research and my undergraduate degree in Zoology with Study Abroad. In terms of personal statement advice, the main thing the university will want to see is evidence of your passion for the subject, and also of your resilience and aptitude as a student. Showing that you have an interest in the course outside of just what you've learnt in school is key, whether that be through documentaries you've watched, podcasts you've listened to, or books you've read. I'm a big fan of popular science books, like 16hdennis said, and would second their recommendation for Steve Jones' 'Almost Like a Whale' (I actually mentioned this book as part of my own personal statement many years ago too!).

If you have any further questions about Zoology, the Penryn Campus, or need any other advice with your application I'll be happy to help.

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by nininanana
do you think you will do vet med post grad?

Yeah, I am planning to do BVSc Veterinary Science: Accelerated Graduate Entry (D102) at Bristol as soon as I am done here!
Reply 6
Original post by 16hdennis
Anyone going to the Penryn Campus this september? I’m going to need some people to talk to when I get there!
- where are you coming from?
- what are you studying?
- any other info that might be useful for me making some friends!

I am coming from East Sussex, going to study Zoology at Penryn.
Hey! I’m possibly going this September for renewable energy engineering Bsc! I’m coming from London so it’ll definitely be a change of scenery for me hahah. Are you firming exetahh? Zoology sounds so interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending