The Student Room Group

What are my chances (as a US applicant) of getting into Oxford?

Hey!
I've been trying to find some information on American students getting into Oxford with little luck so figured I'd just ask for help here on TSR :smile:

I'm trying to apply to Oxford this october. I've been at Uni (UC Berkeley) for a year now and I'm currently majoring in political science. I've been intended law for awhile now and find it frustrating that law is only a graduate degree here in the US. That's why I'm planning to apply to Oxford to pursue law and I'll also be saving money). I'm interested in international law so getting a law degree in another country is fine.

Could someone give me a good indication of my chances?

My SAT is 2350 (writing-800, critical reading- 780, math -770).

AP English Lang-5,
AP Art History-5,
AP Eng Lit-5.

SAT II math- 780, AP Env. Sci-4, AP Bio-4, AP Calc AB-3, AP Chem-3
Other science and math AP's are not great. I honestly didn't try hard because you take them at the end of the year and by that time, I had already been granted admission to Berkeley (no such thing as a conditional offer).

Activities:
Legal Coordinator-Suitcase Clinic (autonomous student clinic that serves the homeless citizens of the city of Berkeley and Oakland. I advise homeless clients on cases regarding evictions, police brutality, family law, criminal law, etc).

I have also been a scribe for a law student with a disability that prevents her from typing and flipping pages. So i've been helping her complete her law homework and assist her in a bar prep and her externships (ACLU, EEOC).
Reply 1
First of all, let me tell you, as an American attorney, reading your credentials and your goals and interests, all I can say is "wow"-very impressive! :smile: Are you trying to completely transfer to Oxford? I noticed you mentioned your SAT scores, and obviously if you got into Berkeley, your grades must have been really good. One of the many factors Oxford will look at is your high school grades and your grades in college so far. Here is a sampling of what they are expecting if you already had your degree, so use that as a guidance.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications?wssl=1

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements?wssl=1

Now, let me say, your extra-curricular activities, which formed part of my initial impression of you, they are stellar. DO NOT be intimidated or afraid to reach for your dreams and apply. Do NOT be put off by the daunting statistics...reach for your goals. My experience with those daunting nature of things at Oxford is also dreaming of going there for my Phd in law (they call it the Dphil) and then you see that like 225 people applied for 25 slots! (LOL!!!) But, you know, once I complete my SOAS LLM which commences this Fall, what do I have to lose to add my name to the list and to go for it? So I would encourage you to review the above information, but then, please do make that application.

Original post by jenny21212
Hey!
I've been trying to find some information on American students getting into Oxford with little luck so figured I'd just ask for help here on TSR :smile:

I'm trying to apply to Oxford this october. I've been at Uni (UC Berkeley) for a year now and I'm currently majoring in political science. I've been intended law for awhile now and find it frustrating that law is only a graduate degree here in the US. That's why I'm planning to apply to Oxford to pursue law and I'll also be saving money). I'm interested in international law so getting a law degree in another country is fine.

AP English Lang-5,
AP Art History-5,
AP Eng Lit-5.

Other science and math AP's are not great. I honestly didn't try hard because you take them at the end of the year and by that time, I had already been granted admission to Berkeley (no such thing as a conditional offer).

Activities:
Legal Coordinator-Suitcase Clinic (autonomous student clinic that serves the homeless citizens of the city of Berkeley and Oakland. I advise homeless clients on cases regarding evictions, police brutality, family law, criminal law, etc).

I have also been a scribe for a law student with a disability that prevents her from typing and flipping pages. So i've been helping her complete her law homework and assist her in a bar prep and her externships (ACLU, EEOC).
Reply 2
Thank you! Your chances are actually not that bad-good luck!

There isn't a transfer option to Oxford actually. I would just be applying for a undergrad degree like everyone else. I thought Oxford didn't look at GPA?

Original post by luq_ali
First of all, let me tell you, as an American attorney, reading your credentials and your goals and interests, all I can say is "wow"-very impressive! :smile: Are you trying to completely transfer to Oxford? I noticed you mentioned your SAT scores, and obviously if you got into Berkeley, your grades must have been really good. One of the many factors Oxford will look at is your high school grades and your grades in college so far. Here is a sampling of what they are expecting if you already had your degree, so use that as a guidance.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications?wssl=1

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements?wssl=1

Now, let me say, your extra-curricular activities, which formed part of my initial impression of you, they are stellar. DO NOT be intimidated or afraid to reach for your dreams and apply. Do NOT be put off by the daunting statistics...reach for your goals. My experience with those daunting nature of things at Oxford is also dreaming of going there for my Phd in law (they call it the Dphil) and then you see that like 225 people applied for 25 slots! (LOL!!!) But, you know, once I complete my SOAS LLM which commences this Fall, what do I have to lose to add my name to the list and to go for it? So I would encourage you to review the above information, but then, please do make that application.
Reply 3
Everything I have read on their website does reflect they do in fact, like all competitive programs (let alone what I would call the elite competitive ones, such as an Oxford) reflects that they absolutely look at grades. I known for law they want a high average-when we convert our grades over, it comes out to about a 3.7GPA...they absolutely look at grades, please go to the qualifications section of any program you are seeking admission into-and they give that very up front. At my level, for example, as I may have mentioned, the Dphil-they had 225 applications one year for a mere 25 slots-so there is no other way they would be screening any of their programs, that includes grades obtained at all relevant levels-in your case, both in high school and college, perhaps if you were applying to graduate school, then what you did in high school might sort of fade into oblivion-they would only want your undergraduate scores, but it is a mistake, I fear, a grave one, to think that Oxford is not looking at grades, or that, great extracurricular work-which you do have, can offset, for example-a 2.8, 3.0 or even 3.25 GPA-they have too many people with 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0's applying in any given application cycle, and so that also means, you have people with a 3.9 applying to Oxford, who do NOT get in, but maybe they get in to Cambridge or UCL. I can recall people I have known applied to the University of Michigan in the U.S.-and did NOT get accepted into, in this case, the law program, but then got into Harvard. Overcoming being at a 3.4-3.6-yes, that is possible, and its worth applying for admission...though you still should realize the admission % is ranging from 13% to 25% in hthe various programs at various levels. You might never get into Oxford-BUT what I was saying is that from what you indicated, if your grades were at what they are looking for or only slightly below, you have a chance, and should make the application. I take it you are applying for the fall 2018? Please make the application early, the earlier the better. Waiting until late in the game-well, that just means even less space has been taken by those who are coming in with top marks, and who also have -perhaps, relatives who have gone to Oxford. It might be a good idea to try to get to know someone who is an Oxford graduate, or if you already known one, then such a recommendation can be helpful.

Thank you! Your chances are actually not that bad-good luck!

There isn't a transfer option to Oxford actually. I would just be applying for a undergrad degree like everyone else. I thought Oxford didn't look at GPA?
Hey!

AP English Lang-5,
AP Art History-5,
AP Eng Lit-5.

Activities:

Whenever "The Boat Race" is on TV, 3/4s of the racers seem to be yanks studying Land Economy anyway, so I'd say pretty high.

Quick Reply

Latest