The Student Room Group

Foundation

Hey,

I was in theory supposed to be applying to Oxford today, but could only get my predicted grades to an A*BB.

I still want to attend a top university for Law. Is there any advice someone could offer about foundation years and clearing? What are my chances of getting into a university like Bristol with a foundation year? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by erikmazin
Hey,

I was in theory supposed to be applying to Oxford today, but could only get my predicted grades to an A*BB.

I still want to attend a top university for Law. Is there any advice someone could offer about foundation years and clearing? What are my chances of getting into a university like Bristol with a foundation year? Thanks

Talk to your teachers to see if they can change your predicted. If not then you may be in a difficult position as law is a popular course and so is unlikely to appear in clearing.

In my opinion your best option would be to focus on your A-levels then re-apply next year, especially if you are looking to study at oxbridge / RG uni's as unless you meet the entry requirements you won't be considered unfortunately.
Original post by erikmazin
Hey,

Do you think you can meet Oxford’s standard offer?
If so then apply.
Oxford and Cambridge have lots more information available to them than your predicted grades. If you think you have the potential then apply. The only way to have a chance of an offer is to put in an application.

Don’t rule yourself out.
Hi!

Asking your tutors or teachers to up your predicted grades is always a great option. Perhaps you could to some extra reading, research or work to improve your grades?

If you're not satisfied with your grades, resitting them could be a great option. Additionally, if you decide to take a gap year, you could find interships or apprenticeships in law firms which could help your application to Oxford.

Law is a popular course so there's a chance it won't be available via clearing. However, thse universities offer a foundation year in Law: University of Kent, University of Sheffield, London Metropolitan University and many more.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Reply 4
Original post by wjg05
Talk to your teachers to see if they can change your predicted. If not then you may be in a difficult position as law is a popular course and so is unlikely to appear in clearing.

In my opinion your best option would be to focus on your A-levels then re-apply next year, especially if you are looking to study at oxbridge / RG uni's as unless you meet the entry requirements you won't be considered unfortunately.

Yeah I had a chat with all my teachers. In my maths my B is fairly reasonable, I haven’t essentially really provided much evidence to prove I can get an A, but I know with the amount of work I’m doing currently that it’s very achievable.

In terms of my other B, I think the circumstances were quite unfortunate for me (story for another time), and the department were quite stubborn in terms of handing out their As/A*s.

I don’t think I’ll have a chance this year but I know I can achieve better in my final results. So I think a gap year is my most reasonable option.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Do you think you can meet Oxford’s standard offer?
If so then apply.
Oxford and Cambridge have lots more information available to them than your predicted grades. If you think you have the potential then apply. The only way to have a chance of an offer is to put in an application.

Don’t rule yourself out.

Hey,

My deadline to apply for oxbridge is today, so I kind of have to make a decision today.

At the moment, the thing stopping me from applying is I’m not sure whether my predicted grades can be changed after my first application is submitted. I don’t want to rule out the opportunity to apply for Russell groups whose offer is higher than Oxford’s quite yet.

I do think that I can meet their offer, but obviously with the limited knowledge on me that they have on their end, I would too find it hard to believe I will get an AAA.
Reply 6
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi!

Asking your tutors or teachers to up your predicted grades is always a great option. Perhaps you could to some extra reading, research or work to improve your grades?

If you're not satisfied with your grades, resitting them could be a great option. Additionally, if you decide to take a gap year, you could find interships or apprenticeships in law firms which could help your application to Oxford.

Law is a popular course so there's a chance it won't be available via clearing. However, thse universities offer a foundation year in Law: University of Kent, University of Sheffield, London Metropolitan University and many more.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

I had a chat with all my teachers, it’s looking like it won’t go any further up in terms of my predicted grades.

In terms of one of my Bs, I think that they laid their opinions down fairly clearly and made it very hard for me to get an A. I think that some of the circumstances involving this weren’t necessarily fair on me, but the reality is that I don’t believe they will move it up, regardless of work I submit. Not that I won’t keep trying.

My other B still has the chance to move up to an A considering I do well on upcoming tests.

I think that my best option may be a gap year, and to reapply next year. The internship idea is definitely the first thing that came to mind when I realised that I’m likely not going to apply this year.

This was useful for me, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending