The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got a first and I didn't need to sacrifice my social life at all. I was on my hall JCR and was a treasurer on one society and a secretary in another. I didn't do much sport though (unless you count the drinking olympics). It's all about being able to work effectively and having a genuine interest in the subject. There is no substitute for hard work, but you have to realise when it is best to take a rest otherwise you will burn out.
ChemistBoy
I got a first and I didn't need to sacrifice my social life at all. I was on my hall JCR and was a treasurer on one society and a secretary in another. I didn't do much sport though (unless you count the drinking olympics).

I've got a few mates here from Nottingham who got 1sts in their first and second years in Economics, and say they've had to do hardly any work; doss around for a year and then cram for 2 weeks. Do you think thats true, or is this a typical "I did no work whatsoever, honest" response?
Reply 22
Helenia
No such thing as a 1:1 - it's either a First or it's not. Second class is the only one that's split.

Yes there is such thing as 1:1, its a double 1st, 1:2 is a 1st, 2:1 is a 2nd etc.
Reply 23
Dajoruna
Yes there is such thing as 1:1, its a double 1st, 1:2 is a 1st, 2:1 is a 2nd etc.

how is a 1:2 a first?
ChemistBoy
I got a first and I didn't need to sacrifice my social life at all. I was on my hall JCR and was a treasurer on one society and a secretary in another. I didn't do much sport though (unless you count the drinking olympics). It's all about being able to work effectively and having a genuine interest in the subject. There is no substitute for hard work, but you have to realise when it is best to take a rest otherwise you will burn out.

Hey you're at Nottingham uni right? Please tell me you really are a black guy with a massive afro, I just love massive fro's.

I am possibly one of the biggest crammers in the UK, don't get me wrong I follow what's going on in class but I try not to retain it too long for that part comes nearer the exams. 2 weeks before my first A-level exam (P3 i think it was) I started skimming over all my folders. THEN I would revise for my next subject exam for about 2 days or 3 before the exam. However it doesn't do much for my IQ as it's all out the window a good 10 mins after the exam. Cramming for maths is a big no no, hence the grade B.
Will I get away with cramming at University? I really want to play my sports to a high level as I NEED competition, it's what gets me through life. :frown:
Dajoruna

What planet are you from? Oh right, Newcastle... :tongue:
Jools
I've got a few mates here from Nottingham who got 1sts in their first and second years in Economics, and say they've had to do hardly any work; doss around for a year and then cram for 2 weeks. Do you think thats true, or is this a typical "I did no work whatsoever, honest" response?

Well I didn't do my degree at nottingham (although I'm there now) and I didn't do economics, but I don't buy the I did no work whatsoever honest approach. I worked damn hard for my first, but I didn't want to come out of uni with a degree and nothing else. I made time to get involved in other stuff and I learnt that short, highly focussed effort often paid greater dividends than a sustained slog.
WilliamFoster
Hey you're at Nottingham uni right? Please tell me you really are a black guy with a massive afro, I just love massive fro's.

Sadly I have no 'fro like Samuel in my avatar, I am also lacking in blackness too.

Will I get away with cramming at University? I really want to play my sports to a high level as I NEED competition, it's what gets me through life. :frown:

It is all about efficiency, doing what you need to achieve your goals. If you want to do sports at university then go and do them, that's what it's for. You'll work out your priorities once you get to uni.

Cramming could work for you. I never started revision for any of my exams until the week before the exam session started, but I worked hard during term so it was revision, not learning stuff for the first time. I'm afraid it's different strokes for different folks and you have to develop a method that suits you (that's what first year is for).
Reply 28
ChemistBoy
Sadly I have no 'fro like Samuel in my avatar, I am also lacking in blackness too.

It is all about efficiency, doing what you need to achieve your goals. If you want to do sports at university then go and do them, that's what it's for. You'll work out your priorities once you get to uni.

Cramming could work for you. I never started revision for any of my exams until the week before the exam session started, but I worked hard during term so it was revision, not learning stuff for the first time. I'm afraid it's different strokes for different folks and you have to develop a method that suits you (that's what first year is for).

I'd of failed everyone of my exams if i'd of not revised starting about 5 weeks before them for 5-7 hours a day. didn't help i had my final project report to be handed in too, poor planing on my part :smile:
Vladek
I'd of failed everyone of my exams if i'd of not revised starting about 5 weeks before them for 5-7 hours a day. didn't help i had my final project report to be handed in too, poor planing on my part :smile:

Different strokes. You could argue (quite rightly) that I started studying for my exams from the first week of term - I just looked over the stuff again the week before. Didn't work all the time I got a 2:2 and a couple of 2:1s.
Reply 30
ChemistBoy
Different strokes. You could argue (quite rightly) that I started studying for my exams from the first week of term - I just looked over the stuff again the week before. Didn't work all the time I got a 2:2 and a couple of 2:1s.

Yup! Problem with me was i had some dire final year course work from the first semester back, seriously important stuff too worth lots of marks. All my exams were 2:1's but the bad course work took the over all degree result down to a high 2:2, a 2:2 none the less. Like i said, seriously dodgy course work! :biggrin:
Vladek
Yup! Problem with me was i had some dire final year course work from the first semester back, seriously important stuff too worth lots of marks. All my exams were 2:1's but the bad course work took the over all degree result down to a high 2:2, a 2:2 none the less. Like i said, seriously dodgy course work! :biggrin:

I won't bother you with what I got in my final year project then :biggrin: .
Reply 32
ChemistBoy
I won't bother you with what I got in my final year project then :biggrin: .

I'm not bitter my project wasn't that bad :smile: it was the course work, kicked myself when i saw a string of what where to me amazing exam results, i'm happy though, worked my ass off and got what i wanted :biggrin:
Reply 33
young_free
I mean is it that much of a sacrifice to your social life? I hear you have to have new ideas or develop new theories and stuff like that. Does anyone have any tips or things they've picked up on what exactly it takes to get a first? I mean I'm aware that aiming for a first may be a little unrealistic but it's good to aim high right?

I don't think you have to sacrifice your social life at all. I got an average of 87% this year (a first) and that was Maths and CS at IC, which is by no means as easy course (apparently it's their hardest). I was out two evenings most weeks and am no genius. IMO it's down to good organisation and the actual ability to sit down and work (I mean solid work, not procrastination) when you say you will that cut it. Obviously you don't go out at all in the exam period.

Another thing, you absolutely must have a passion for your subject if you intend to get a first. It must be something which really excites you and enthuses you to really understand what it is you're supposed to be learning. It's this higher depth of understanding which will allow you to tackle those questions which require that little extra thinking come the exams.
Reply 34
rahaydenuk
Another thing, you absolutely must have a passion for your subject if you intend to get a first. It must be something which really excites you and enthuses you to really understand what it is you're supposed to be learning. It's this higher depth of understanding which will allow you to tackle those questions which require that little extra thinking come the exams.

That is one of the best things I've heard anyone say about getting a first/doing well at uni :smile:
rahaydenuk
Obviously you don't go out at all in the exam period.

Woops. Couldn't resist, night before final exam. D'oh...
rahaydenuk
Another thing, you absolutely must have a passion for your subject if you intend to get a first.

D'oh again...
Reply 36
Jools
Woops. Couldn't resist, night before final exam. D'oh...

D'oh again...

lol did you get a first?
How about engineering - any idea how hard it is to achieve a first?
Reply 38
female_engineer

This also concerns me, though I assume being driven in your field applies to Engineering as much as anywhere. Being innovative, dedicated, forward thinking.
Reply 39
female_engineer

Put in the work, turn up to lectures and do an extremly good final year project and you'll do fine, course work really is the key as i found out :smile: Do really well in that and the pressure is off of the exams to a certain extent, i'd of needed about 90% in all my finals to get a first :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending